Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military  (Read 517 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »

I am going to feel like a newb for bringing this up, but I can not get the hang of this new military system

I create a squad (captain of the guard squad lets say) and select the weapons and armor I want them to use.   Some goblin ambushes show up, I can not figure out how to activate the squad to deal with them.   If I tell them to move to a specific location they activate but do not pick up their gear.

So here are my specific questions

How do you get your squad to be on active duty so that, they pick up their equipment
The wiki talks about them being a part time milita and only turn on when you turn them on, but I want them on all the time and training all the time..
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:26:01 pm »

I am going to feel like a newb for bringing this up, but I can not get the hang of this new military system

I create a squad (captain of the guard squad lets say) and select the weapons and armor I want them to use.   Some goblin ambushes show up, I can not figure out how to activate the squad to deal with them.   If I tell them to move to a specific location they activate but do not pick up their gear.

So here are my specific questions

How do you get your squad to be on active duty so that, they pick up their equipment
The wiki talks about them being a part time milita and only turn on when you turn them on, but I want them on all the time and training all the time..

i'm sure this isn't the response you're after but... this thread has been opened alot lately. A quick search will show much more detailed answers.

However, being that i am a merciful soul. The quick answer is that you can activate them via the S (squad) menu and use a kill command on a specific target. If they're not getting their gear you likely have more than 20 dwarves and need an arsenal dwarf (noble) to hand out gear. Simply assign one and give them an office.

Search a bit and you'll find more details if this didn't help.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »

nope do have an arsenal dwarf they just mill about where I tell them to move or attempt to go kill what I tell them to kill
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:19:40 pm »

nope do have an arsenal dwarf they just mill about where I tell them to move or attempt to go kill what I tell them to kill

unarmed I might add :(

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:35:52 pm »

Everything you need is here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military

Next time include the whole internet in your search for truth. ;)

Dura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

I can get my dwarfs to equip training weapons without a problem (without an arsenal dwarf), but I can't get a squad with more than one dwarf in it to train. I tried editing the order so a the ''minimum dwarves'' thing was set to 0, and removing all other duties, yet my squad with 3 in it stubbornly refuses to train.

Any ideas? My other 4 military dwarves are doing individual drills np.

PS: I also tried with the ''i'' button pressed on the barracks screen.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »

generally speaking, if things are borked you just delete the squad, amke a new one, and set the old dwarves to it.  Very rarely, some dwarves will not train, ever.  No idea what causes it.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »

make sure that at least 1 dwarf in the group is set to train, and set it for every month. 

if I have 5 in a group, I set it to 3, if I have 10 I set it to 6.  That way there is some downtime and other duties may be done.

I have had a few dwarfs that simply refuse to train, though, and always grumble.  Watch their status page.  If they are not training, not going up in skills, and are constantly groaning about the draft and patrol duties, just remove them from the military.  They might take a while to drop their armor, thoug.  The ones I have had like that have always returned to civilian life without issue.
igless

Dura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:14:58 pm »

Still no success, I'm really clueless. None of them will train, ever. I have no problems with 1 dorf squads, but anything over that fails. I tried remaking it, theres enough training axes and all, but I don't know, they keep on hauling. One of em started ''storing personal items'' so thats a plus, he might be off to train after. I notice theres clothes all over the barracks.

Dura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

I ended up making a bazillion squads, one per dwarf, and its working now. I guess I can live with that.

By the way, I have biscuits made with only dwarven rum. I thought that was no longer allowed?