Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I use magma.
No magma. I prefer the Way of Axe, Blood and Coal

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you use magma?  (Read 3719 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use magma?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 05:21:24 pm »

building destoyers cant break constructed walls.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 05:23:46 pm »

Wait.

There are people who *don't* use magma!?

I prefer to think of us as "people who don't want to dig a 140 z level shaft, only to have a forgotten beast walk up it and butcher our entire fort"
Walls.

I use magma, one because it has some shiny blue deposits hiding in it, and because I hate trying to deal with the fuel production chain. It just pisses me off. When a smelter goes on break the entire production chain grinds to a halt.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »

here's a solution: volcanoes.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 06:18:48 pm »

You can stop Forgotten Beasts with fortifications, which still allow liquids like magma to pass through. Just put them before your pump stack to protect it. It's like an indestructible grate. Won't stop gaseous beasts, but if you've got one of those on the loose you've got bigger problems than losing a pump stack.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »

I use magma, one because it has some shiny blue deposits hiding in it, and because I hate trying to deal with the fuel production chain. It just pisses me off. When a smelter goes on break the entire production chain grinds to a halt.
This. I'm lazy at micromanaging, and the thought that I could run out of wood and screw up the whole chain just haunts me. Also, I hate using coal because I always overproduce and wind up with 20 bins full of coke with 30 chunks cluttering the smelter and I can't bring myself to make more bins and dig out a bigger stockpile because I know I'll just blow through it all and then what would I AAUUUGGGHHHHH

...Obsessive-Compulsive? ...Me?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 10:20:29 pm »

In my current for no, the magma ended up literally 140 levels down.

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 02:19:09 am »

Ironically, you could vaporize said fb with proper application of magma. At least I think it's irony. I'm not very good with that...

Only if it's very ferrous magma.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 02:23:53 am »

Why isn't there an option to chop down trees AND use magma? Obviously this is the correct vote.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 04:34:50 am »

Why isn't there an option to chop down trees AND use magma? Obviously this is the correct vote.

Actually, I do use both.  For the first year I use coal and lignite.  I also chop down about 100 logs and shove it safe under the soil (from there on I just buy barrels and wood).  When I have about 30 units of coal left I go down and strike magma and use it from there on.  Using magma at the very start sounds like a pretty bad idea.  One magma man and you're toast.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:08 am »

Hi!

I am with the magma-is-too-much-trouble faction.

First of all, I don't have a murderous fortress, so I don't set up things to kill civilians and traders. And for everything else, there are the good old weapon traps, thank you. (And if I were to challenge something along the lines of forgotten beasts, I would probably go for a cave-in trap) Thus, magma is not useful for me as a weapon.

Secondly, I am more interested in playing Dwarf Fortress as a game of construction rather than survival. Thus, I prefer easy sites, usually heavily forested with lots of plants in a temperate to cold climate. Thus, I have a basically unlimited supply of wood that can easily fuel my furnaces.

Third, I tend to play with a small setup, trying to get few immigrants during the first year, and having a low population cap (< 7). Thus, I have very slow fortress growth which gives me time to hoard fuel. In addition, this also increases the effect the regular import of bituminous coal has on my economy.

For these reasons, there is no real need for magma in my fortresses.

On the negative side, there are the following things:

Dwarves are not careful enough when handling flames or when ablaze themselves. This makes magma itself a highly dangerous substance that can easily ruin an interesting fortress.

Secondly, magma is known to be inhabited by creatures that also wield fire. So, even when carefully designating your mining, there is a risk involved with breaching the magma.

Third, and this only applies to the most recent version, of course, breaching the magma requires first breaching all the cavern layers. And personally, I consider the cavern layers a very nice, game-like feature of the game where the player can freely move on to the next challenge when they have established their current situation. If I made magma important for me, I would basically forfeit this freedom of setting my own pace for the challenges of the game.

So, for me that is 0 pro and 3 contra arguments, leading to a clear "Nope.".

Deathworks

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 09:05:04 am »

Ironically, you could vaporize said fb with proper application of magma. At least I think it's irony. I'm not very good with that...

Only if it's very ferrous magma.
Haw haw.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 11:24:11 am »

I embark on a volcano so I have instant access to the magma pipe.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:10 am »

I embark on a volcano so I have instant access to the magma pipe.
Is there any way to tell on the embark screen where a volcano is?  Would be cool to utilize a volcano

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »

yes, its the same icon as magma is in game. You should probably raise the min volcano number. I run mine at 100-150

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 01:07:08 pm »

I had the oddest one last game... It was on a plain, but it was 5 levels above so it only had the walls around it sticking up out of nowhere.... Then I was bored and punched a hole on each z level... That was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3