Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Draining an Underground Lake (a.k.a. Trees Suck)  (Read 8296 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining an Underground Lake (a.k.a. Trees Suck)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:16 pm »

If you've blocked off the open sides of the cavern lake you can just pump the water over the dam and it will flow off the side of the screen.  There's really no need to pump it to the surface unless you want to muddy everything aboveground for some aesthetic reason.

Also, even without trees you'll have a long wait to get rid of a large, flat area of water if you pump from just one point.  Water spreading is a lot slower than you think.

Just construct floors above the water level and build pumps on the floors. You can pump water from near the edge to the Z level above where it will flow off the map into empty space. Basically just using the Moses Effect.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:06 pm »

If you've blocked off the open sides of the cavern lake you can just pump the water over the dam and it will flow off the side of the screen.  There's really no need to pump it to the surface unless you want to muddy everything aboveground for some aesthetic reason.

Also, even without trees you'll have a long wait to get rid of a large, flat area of water if you pump from just one point.  Water spreading is a lot slower than you think.

Just construct floors above the water level and build pumps on the floors. You can pump water from near the edge to the Z level above where it will flow off the map into empty space. Basically just using the Moses Effect.

Or dig in the level below and knock many holes into the bottom of the lake to let gravity do the job.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 05:17:39 pm »

Or dig in the level below and knock many holes into the bottom of the lake to let gravity do the job.

Unreliable. With pumps you will have 0/7 water adjacent to 7/7 water which means you can very easily deal with the tower cap problem and ensure that not a single tower cap is missed. If you just drain the water with gravity you may not drain the entire lake evenly, which means there could be tower caps that sprout up yet cannot be cut down.

This is of course completely unacceptable for the lake to not be uniform. The region would then have to be abandoned.   :-\

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:16 pm »

Unreliable. With pumps you will have 0/7 water adjacent to 7/7 water which means you can very easily deal with the tower cap problem and ensure that not a single tower cap is missed. If you just drain the water with gravity you may not drain the entire lake evenly, which means there could be tower caps that sprout up yet cannot be cut down.

This is of course completely unacceptable for the lake to not be uniform. The region would then have to be abandoned.   :-\

Abandoning because of trees? In DF?!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 11:29:27 am »

Axes, screw pumps, and carved fortification drains taking the water down a few Z levels and then off the map!!
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:32 am »

What other game is made by the OCD for the OCD?

;D

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 11:59:37 am »

What other game is made by the OCD for the OCD?

;D

A Tale In The Desert.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 01:51:26 pm »

Makes me think how fun the life of dwarf plumbers is. They need to constantly tend to clogging pump stacks and ducts due to fungal growth.
Erm... dunno about you, but when I make a water pump stack, I pave the floor with microcline.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 09:02:01 pm »

Makes me think how fun the life of dwarf plumbers is. They need to constantly tend to clogging pump stacks and ducts due to fungal growth.
Erm... dunno about you, but when I make a water pump stack, I pave the floor with microcline.

Awesome, a use for microcline!
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Tallim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 03:00:19 am »

Find the blue beauty.

Can we adopt this phrase, it has a great ring to it.
Cats always land on their feet, finding the feet after is the trick.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 01:24:23 pm »

Designate the lakebed as an empty stockpile. Apparently trees won't grow in stockpile-designated areas. Then you just have to worry about the ones that are already there.

I have a fort primarily dug out of a sand layer, and all variety of cave plants and trees started infecting the industry levels of the fort after I found the underground. Once or twice per year, a tree grows up through one of my stockpiles and deletes a tile of the stockpile. How come my trees are not respecting dwarven industry on the surface? :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 12:15:14 am »

Sorry to tell you this, but in an underground lake the trees are already there because of a bug. When the map is created, it places trees in 7/7 water in the lakes. So...you can't really...
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!
Pages: 1 [2]