Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Am I Rely the Minority When it comes to sex?  (Read 7514 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Am I Rely the Minority When it comes to sex?
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:25 pm »

I think teenagers are physiologically disposed to try to have as much sex as possible. I might qualify that with "male teenagers" but since I'm not a female nor have I interviewed many people on this issue, I couldn't say whether women in general are any different.

Recalling my days as a sex-starved teenage male, I can say it took up a significant portion of my thoughts. I understand when some people say that sex is a driving force in human culture (expecially in cultures where sex is restricted and generally unavailable).

These days, though, it isn't such a big deal. It's like water: you think about it all the time if you're dying of thirst, but if you have more than you can drink you stop obsessing over it and you can think about other things.

So I think reports of high rates of teenage sex are a combination of desire for sex, whether it's happening or not, and obsession about sex, because it's generally not happening enough to fulfill the desire.

The first is biological, and unless someone puts forth an argument about industrial pollutants changing our hormonal balance then that hasn't changed in centuries or millennia.

The second relates to the first, but is mental, and may be affected by societal norms. A sex-focused media environment could make people think about sex more often. A sexually restrictive culture could make people obsess about it more (because they don't get it as much as they naturally want) and also make them feel guilty about wanting it at all.

Perversely, the common sentiment in the US is that sexually promiscuous men are "studs" and viewed positively, while sexually promiscuous women are "sluts" and viewed negatively. It seems that the obvious outlet would be male homosexuality, but that's viewed even less tolerantly than female heterosexual promiscuity. So instead, the prevailing sexual opinions serve to just make everyone feel bad ... except heterosexually-active males, of course. That seems to be a common pattern in norm formation, where the socially dominant group will place itself as the "normal" or "standard", and also as the "good" group, relegating all other groups to less-accepted positions. Strikingly, these "pariah" groups often accept the status quo and actually reinforce it among themselves! Of course, when I say this is the common sentiment in the US, it will of course be different regionally and in subcultures or specific social groups, and of course individuals believe wildly varying things. But it seems to be the general climate of sexual approval / disapproval.

And yes, there are a heck of a lot of sexual outlets that are outright illegal in many parts of the US (sex toys, videos and magazines, prostitution, strippers, sex clubs, etc). Yes, there are states where it is illegal to buy/sell/possess a "personal massager". People, this is a motor that's mounted slightly off-center and encased in plastic, and it's illegal to use one strictly because it makes you feel good. It doesn't involve anyone else but the battery manufacturers. Kind of strange.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »

I would just like to say that I am in a much similar situation to the original poster.

First, I would like yo point out that asking people on the internet is not going to be the most representative of samples, so the replies here you get are not likely to be very representative. Although some may quote statistics, I have studied enough statistics to tell you that the ones you hear are generally worthless.

Although I am firmly in the demographic that is being discussed, I am not the most represnetative when it comes to these matters (or any matters). Additionally, I recognize that my peers are among the more prudish of the relevant population. Nevertheless, I will share my findings.

I am certainly not asexual: the amount of self-pleasuring that I perform is testament to that. Nevertheless, I do not seek sex with other people. This is due to inefficiency. I can satisfy my lusts for free at my own whim: seeking out someone to satisfy my lusts with would be a poor choice by comparison. Others do not feel the same way, however. Although there are some like me in my severly misrepresentative peer group, there are others who do seek out sex a great deal.

One observation that I have made is that actual intercourse is not that common from what I have gathered - instead, oral and manual stimulation appear to be popular.

I would compare teenage attitudes to sex with attitudes to drinking. I personally don't any point in drinking beyond the point of tipsiness, but there are huge amounts of people who will happily drink themselves into a stupor among my peers.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »

Treat good people as expendable, and you're worth just as much yourself.

Nowadays, I decide to go the celibate route seeing as my hopes are towards a possible Apocalypse;

If this doesn't count as treating people as expendable, I don't know what does.

my 10-year high school reunion will never live it down from me (Meaning, I'm going to have so much fun burning everyone). I'm just going to constantly mock them for their cowardice. And even so, if women would all of a sudden find me appealing before 2012... yeah, I'm not buying that. Sure, I'd be denying myself many an opportunity, but I'd rather enjoy my solitude and accept my end in peace, than deal with being a coward and sleep with the first woman to have a change of heart before the end. BTW, I think it would be fun to screw over those who have screwed me over by not screwing them.

You fantasize about apocalypse and mocking people at a high school reunion, and are unwilling to risk a relationship, and somehow they're the cowards and you're the one with inner peace?

Also women aren't all the same person, just FYI.  Your generalizations about "women would all of a sudden find me appealing," "the ladies," etc. are the real reason you'll die alone -- you don't seem capable of treating women as individuals.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 12:51:16 pm »

Also women aren't all the same person, just FYI.  Your generalizations about "women would all of a sudden find me appealing," "the ladies," etc. are the real reason you'll die alone -- you don't seem capable of treating women as individuals.

Like Nice Pete?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »

Nowadays, I decide to go the celibate route seeing as my hopes are towards a possible Apocalypse;

my 10-year high school reunion will never live it down from me (Meaning, I'm going to have so much fun burning everyone). I'm just going to constantly mock them for their cowardice. And even so, if women would all of a sudden find me appealing before 2012... yeah, I'm not buying that. Sure, I'd be denying myself many an opportunity, but I'd rather enjoy my solitude and accept my end in peace, than deal with being a coward and sleep with the first woman to have a change of heart before the end. BTW, I think it would be fun to screw over those who have screwed me over by not screwing them.

You fantasize about apocalypse and mocking people at a high school reunion, and are unwilling to risk a relationship, and somehow they're the cowards and you're the one with inner peace?

Burned.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »

I am certainly not asexual: the amount of self-pleasuring that I perform is testament to that.
The term is autosexual, and depending on who you talk to it can be considered a type of asexuality. I fall into the autosexual category myself, orgasms are cool and all but the idea of ever actually having sex with anyone is just... Off. Hard to explain really I don't want to have sex and I really can't think of anyway I would ever end up in a situation in which sex is forthcoming without requiring me to act in way I would never act in.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2010, 01:01:08 pm »

Okay, I guess that was a step too far. Sorry about that.

Quote from: Footkerchief link=topic=58035.msg1279452#msg1279452   date=1274723140

My unwillingness came from constant failure; seeing as there is no hope left for me, I accept defeat. I gave up. I mean, I can't obtain one by any means. I had the will, I just have no way.

Fantasies of the Apocalypse just happens to be where I placed the pivot for my loneliness. Think about the end, and minimize priorities. As for single-classing women; let's just say, I've been getting many repetitive results to the point of, I might as well just single them out. BTW, the perspective of "Sudden appeal" was just a thought on how sudden end could make people do the last thing on their mind (thereby admitting my lack of self-worth).

I admit, I have problems, and I've been trying my best to iron them out. I guess I haven't found optimal peace yet.

I wish I had more time to answer this sooner, but as usual when this crap happens, I get distracted by something else that eats my time, and I don't have enough to recover from it/explain myself etc..

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may   wish to review your post.                       
Curse you!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:06:15 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »

We spend painful hours crawling out when we're babies...

...and the rest of our lives trying to get back into a different one.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:15 pm »

Just one?

Also, I think it's harder on the mother than the baby!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:18 pm »

Although I do remember what this one lady who worked with pregnant teens and HIV infected teens said about sex. Something along the lines of how the orgasm isn't the point of them having sex. It does feel good and makes the action pleasurable, but it isn't why they are hooked. Something about being with another human being. Of not being alone.

Exactly. An orgasm is something you can make happen by yourself. It isn't the point of sex. In fact, anyone I've ever known who has fit the definition of a sex addict has actually been unable to reach orgasm.

I've read that your average nymphomaniac actually receives less or no pleasure for sex at all. That ain't no way to live.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »

That is the saddest thing D;
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

when things are taboo they simply become more appealing, not less.
The Streisand Effect.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2010, 04:13:21 pm »

For those of you guys who are having trouble with girls, what you need to understand is this:  Human civilization is only about 200 generations old, not nearly enough time for evolution to "work."

What that means is that you need to appeal to girls on a level that they understand:
-can you protect them from bears and wolves?
-can you feed them and clothe them better than the dudes you're competing with?
-are you confident and versatile?
-are you a tribal leader or a mook?

That's why guys with tattoos and motorcycles get girls, and computer nerds sit home watching anime.

The ball is in your court.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2010, 04:20:21 pm »

... Or you could just be yourself and find a girl who accepts you for who and what you are.  Women do happen to understand attractive male facets on a more than primitive level, by the way.  The "pickup artist" game doesn't work on everyone.  Some of us don't happen to enjoy being "put in our place" or insulted.

Generalizations may net you the average woman, but perhaps you should ask yourself if you really want the average woman.  They'll certainly be easier to find, but who really wants to net the average?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2010, 04:22:08 pm »

The average male would
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10