Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43266 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2010, 06:00:22 pm »

37 FOR GLORY!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2010, 10:46:31 pm »

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:29 am »

The first thing you notice after returning to your fortress is the heavy wooziness of climbing so many stairs while bleeding from your forehead. The second thing is human merchants busy trading their usual goods.
    "Yes. Yes the motherfuckers did bring goblins with them," Monom answers flatly before you open your mouth. She hangs around the edge of depot, occasionally peering out into the trapped corridor. "And naturally, the goblins brought a fucking elf. It's like a party in our mouth and everyone has AIDS! But oh dorf, you should have seen this one leatherworker. He was so pissed at the wounded goblins just fucking bleeding everywhere that he started wailing on one of them. The crazy shit spent all day punching it as it died, very occasionally adding a minor bruise to its mass lacerations. So cool!"
    You wonder if this might technically put the leatherworker too at a higher total damage output than Fourguts' entire military.
    "Don't you fucking talk shit about my mummy," Monom warns, waggling a tiny finger at you. "I'll have you know she is entirely ADEQUETE with axes now and oh who the fuck am I kidding that barely puts her on the level as our tames horses, let alone the casual woodcutters."
    Having heard emotional concerns from other miners, you enquire as to Vabok's well being.
    "Are you fucking kidding? She ate a 'pretty decent' meal, she's fucking ecstatic." Monom rolls her eyes. Behind her, you notice Fourguts leaving the depot with a page of notes in hand. "Talk to the dipshits who keep dehydrating themselves and sleeping on the floor next to empty beds."
    "I have allowed them their own bedrooms now, I can promise you that they're all very happy to keep you perfectly safe, cutie," Fourguts comforts awkwardly, patting Monom on the head. You quickly hold back her arms as she reaches to strangle him. Fourguts ignores her and glances over you. "You should be in hospital."
    With that he leaves. You lightly touch your cut and reluctantly follow him.

Your wound doesn't require any surgery, but it does take a few weeks to heal from a cut to a dent. You spend a lot of that time wondering what to do with all the riches you've uncovered underground. At first you toy with a few selfish ideas - you've always wanted your own volcano - but the memories of your past obsession still weigh heavily. You eventually vow to give the whole lot away. Such a donation to your Dwarf King would pay back his original boon to you, and then some. You could finally grow from an outpost to a fully fledged, armed and independent, dwarf fortress!
    You stretch and stand up from the hospital bed. You don't quite feel up to digging yet, but you should join the the other idlers in hauling gems back up to the latest stockpile extension. As you start walking towards the stairwell though, the King's old metalsmith runs up to you.
    "There you are! We have a problem," the metalsmith warns. "I was hauling gems out and saw it all: the miners are under attack! There's a wild jabberer in the caverns chasing dwarves all over the place. Two dwarves and a dog are already dead. They put up a fight but the monster is barely injured. I don't know how long the others can keep away or out of sight."
    You start to give orders, but the metalsmith cuts you off.
    "There's more. Even before that started, a cook ran into a troll. The last time I saw them, the troll was unharmed but too tired to deliver a killing blow. The cook is badly wounded but nothing fatal if we can get him out of there. And you're going to want to get him out of there. He's spent so long trying to rest with that thing attacking him that - and I am not exaggerating this - he's become a legendary fighter."
    Instinctively, you grab your pick. You thank the metalsmith and rush downstairs. All you should be worried about right now is how to save your dwarves, but one lingering thought keeps creeping its way into your head: So does this make another untrained dwarf more awesome than Fourguts' entire military?
    "Shut the fu

If you abandon the cavern altogether, turn to page 110
If you retreat the dwarves into the cavern outpost and wait for the military, turn to page 242
If you leave the dwarves to bait the monsters while you set up traps, turn to page 209.
If you personally charge into battle to save the cook, turn to page 212.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2010, 05:43:48 am »

oh... 242 or 212?

decisions... decisions... 242!
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2010, 06:41:53 am »

212, kill them all.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:37 am »

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:58 am »

212.  We are hero!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

I just know this won't matter, but 209. FORD THE DAMN RIVER CAVERN

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2010, 09:05:26 am »

Technical note: We have now upgraded from 0.31.04 to 0.31.06, with the new raws being copied into the save folder for whatever that's worth, and I'll likely continue to do so from now unless an update seriously breaks this fort.
Technical note #2: For best performance, play the yackety sax through this entire entry. It deserves it.

ck up and where do you think you're going?" Fourguts demands. You ignore him and sprint back upstairs. Once you reach the stockpiles you toss your pick away and turn around. You don't need your pick to save the dwarves. You are, in equal parts, that badass and also terrified of the arsenal dwarf finding out you were fighting with an unregistered weapon.
    You storm down the stairwell and out into the caverns. Dwarves are fleeing towards the outpost and main fort. A mason has fallen dead in a pool of blood. You can hear angry, sleepy grumbling from nearby. You charge deeper into the caverns until you spot the troll. Its hands are around the cook's neck, still tiredly choking it. You let out a yell and slam your fist into the troll's face. It barely blinks and ignores you. You unleash a barrage of furious punches that all slide off, while the troll's hands only tighten.
    It occurs to you that you've seen no trace of the jabberer. You're barely allowed the slimmest degree of relief before something much, much worse floats  in to sight.
    In only the loosest sense the beast might be said to resemble a hummingbird. Its girth is gigantic and it stares deeply into your soul without eyes. Its patchy amber hide undulates rhythmically, playing out your death knell. A twisting trunk juts out from its face, sniffing the air towards you. Somehow just by sight you know its name: Rubal, the forgotten beast.
    The troll yawns and continues wringing out the cook's throat.
    You ignore Rubal's impossible gaze and throw all your energy into kicking and punching. Putrid bruises form over the troll's skin but not a single blow can break it. Rubal floats closer to you then stops, as if some dim interest holds it momentarily from destroying you.
    Your struggle continues for hours. You, punching. The troll, strangling. Rubal, watching. Your mouth is dry but you dare not break away. A brief flicker of colour in the corner of your eye marks the arrival and immediate inexplicable retreat of Fourguts' military. The troll is nauseous from your continuous blows but heals even as you attack. Some time later several recruits return again. Still carrying training axes.
    "I'm going to combat training!" Vabok announces cheerfully as she joins your side. Her wooden weapon proves no more effective than your fist. The cook grumbles at both of your noise before slumping to face the other direction. The troll readily interrupts his rest with two curled hands. You know. Again.
    Battle cries sound behind you. You risk a glance and see several more recruits rushing to join you - one even holding an 'axetual' weapon - until Rubal blocks their path. The beast hums furiously, teeth and claws and wings all swirling and gnashing and bleeding and rage. The recruits fight back bravely, deflecting blows and striking hard. Yet with every blow their attacks bounce off with no more than a bruise. Then a dwarf arm goes flying with an agonising scream.
    "This makes me miserable!" the dwarf whines as they clutch their stump. Rubal calms down and floats away, again watching you from a short distance. The other recruits reform to join the attack on the troll.
    Blow after blow lands on the monster, but nothing penetrates. The troll grunts deeply and crushes its hands together in response. Finally, FINALLY after days of resisting, the cook suffocates.
    "Dwarves are the whales of the mountains," Vabok notes thoughtfully. You swear and attack the troll with renewed vigour. One recruit breaks away, only to run straight into Rubal. The dwarf and the beast exchange rapid blows as they move around the cavern. You're not sure who is chasing who, but neither sustain real wounds.
    Hours pass. In the background you notice civilians creeping back in on tiptoes to bring back corpses and mostly gems. You think you recognise Fourguts and glance over to-
    CRACK.

Extreme pain screams through your leg and you stagger backwards with sudden consciousness. A reduced military are determinedly striking at Rubal. The troll is gone. No blood. It must have escaped. You pull yourself upright, roar, and leap at Rubal.
    A chilling scream echoes from elsewhere in the cavern, followed by the bellow of a rutherer. You pay it no attention, focused only on dodging and countering every swinging blow that comes your way. You're tired, thirsty, hungry, unhappy but even the dwarf with one arm refuses to surrender while you have two and will not let this beast escape alive!
    You dive towards Rubal and uppercut the bastard in what you hope amounts to the beast's genitals. Rubal hums loudly and bites at you, but in that moment a recruit swings their training axe upwards and crunches into the beast's trunk. Rubal reels as its trunk suddenly hangs broken and useless. You laugh and swing again. All that faces dwarves are mortal. You can win this.
    "This sure is a strong training dummy, don't you think?" Vabok wonders curiously. "It eeaech!" Her body falls dead next to the cook's. You let out a cry and waver slightly.
    "Don't lose faith!" a young axedwarf yells, hacking and bruising Rubal's left wing.
    "Oh god my throat is cut open we're all going die tell Shem I loved her," another whispers, clutching their neck and attacking weakly with a single hand.
    "Don't lose blood!" the axedwarf quickly corrects. Moments later Rubal's humming crescendos and the axedwarf is struck down. You keep on punching past the horror and the flying limbs and your skin is so pale but you won't let it get away with this no no NO!
   Another faint scream, this time carried through the roof itself. The rutherer must be loose in your fortress. You desperately strike Rubal's skin but somehow everything is healed. Only the trunk droops uselessly. It shows weakness; we can kill it! Then you look around and realise that you're the only dwarf left standing.
    The humming slows. You can hear every beat of its wings, feel every pulse of its toxic blood. See its claws latching onto your arm. Smell the blood of your comrades flicked through the air with every single useless struggle you make. Jarring pain shoots up your arm and you're flying and then its gone and all you can see is the distant ceiling and the blood and the blood and oh the blood.
    What a fool you were. But in the end, a brave fool. Maybe even a glorious one.
    Maybe it mattered.

The En-

"No," a voice cuts in. Calm, but only as the eye of a cyclone. "Not after what you've done. You don't GET to die."

Turn to page 108.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:46 am »

Technical note: Let's not say I 'savescummed', nnno, let's just say that: here's a conveniently identical fortress that I prepared earlier!

The stone you lay on must be ice. If only you had a sense of warmth to judge by.
    A shadow passes over you face. Oh. You can see. But that can't be right. You died. Rubal ...
    Rubal's wings are frozen too, half closed, or maybe half open. You're not sure which is worse. You are in pieces, you can see them. And blood. You remember blood.
    You remember the cinnamon cat watching you.
    "You owe me your life. I am calling in that debt," the cat tells you. Your ears only hear mews, but you know. The cat slowly pads around you.
    "Did you think you were the first?" it asks suddenly. You try to answer but your body is unresponsive. "I've seen so many reach this island before you. Everyone has their reasons: glory, treasure, revolution, safety, even simple drink. But once you're given it, you all end the same. You fight to keep it. You slaughter goblins again and again. Then at the very pinnacle of their suffering you are taken."
    "You die. But the goblins are left, with a blasted landscape to mourn and regrow. Until one day, when they will suffer again. This is their blight." The cat stops and stares into your eyes. "I am one side of it."
    You cannot act. You are not sure you are even still you. But your mind gives birth to a question and it seems that is enough.
    "Put them out of their misery, worker of stone," the cat answers. For the first time you hear strained emotion in its voice. "Let them a glorious death."

ck up and where do you think you're staring?" Fourguts demands, shifting his profile out of your view. You blink and gasp deeply. The rush of air into your lungs burns and you collapse. Fourguts watches with a trace of concern as it gradually fades and you pick yourself up. This can't be! Yet your pick is in one hand and the other is unharmed.
    "The fuck is wrong with him?" Monom pauses to ask as she skips upstairs.
    "I believe he's had a sexual realisation," Fourguts deadpans. Monom gags and the two leave you alone.
    A small itch breaks your stillness and you suddenly notice paper sticking out of your pocket. The stairs are empty. You pull out the message and scan it quickly, then crumple it. Purposefully, you glance up and down the stairwell. No more foolishness. You have your goal.
    'P.S. And, um, please stop killing all my children. I just want somebody to love.'

If you abandon the cavern altogether, turn to page 110.
If you retreat the civilians and prepare the military aboveground, turn to page 237.
If you leave the dwarves to bait the monsters while you set up traps, turn to page 209.
If you pretend to be afflicted with the same disease as the crossbower, turn to page 214.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:42 am »

new option: form the church of ninjacat.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:32 am »

*twitch*  This is making it -very- hard to keep hating said ninjacat, no matter how proper and right this hatred be.

Traps be not enough to handle the 'precog' we just had.  And we owe Foureyes, no more dead dwarves.  Campaign platform, that.  Gonna run.  Lets all run to 237, shall we?  Maybe a kitten tallow roast on the way while we consider wether we hate cats/ninjacats/ourselves still?  Curses that we can't seem to saves that cook...
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:03 am »

new option: form the church of ninjacat.

im just kidding
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:54:52 pm by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12