Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43271 times)

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2010, 09:52:13 am »

271!  Greedy, deep.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2010, 11:45:48 am »

271, agreed!  Except....

The greatest glory can be found near (inside, within) gems.  And 271 leads to more gems!

But while we're being more sane, we really really need a mighty military to keep this good stuff flowing.  Foureyes is watching us, we hopes.  Gotta keep what's left of Foureyes safe.

So, maybe we should do 156.  And maybe there's a page there that leads from round the island to down down down DOWN to treasure and awesome!

156!   156 156 156!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2010, 12:46:37 pm »

156. How can we crush the Cave people and their blind trolls with a military. WE HAVE TO FIGHT THEM TO GET THEIR WEALTH YOU FOOLS!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:49 pm »

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2010, 01:07:05 pm »

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

everything !!!!!!  THAT'S WHY WE ARE DOING IT
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2010, 07:32:25 am »

"I have a theory."
    Your pick freezes mid-swing. You slowly turn around to see Fourguts standing behind you. He is alone and unarmed, looking thoughtful rather than vindictive, but you keep your grip hard.
    "I do not know who set you free, but you were trapped and helpless for several months." Fourguts pauses, as if waiting for confirmation. You nod hesitantly and he continues. "More than long enough for whatever power was manipulating you to find a new victim. We have living proof in the catapult range that you were not the first. And since you were imprisoned, you were no longer useful in completing the Gem Tower."
    Fourguts frowns, and you stare at him with silent anger.
    "Yet, not one single dwarf has attempted to touch the gems since. I took care they were safe, obviously, but if unleashing the gems was the power's goal it would have no other moves to make. I realised it then: being given orders by a cat who is also a ninja might have dulled me to absurdity, but even cats have brains that could mutate and learn. But gems? Lumps of rare rock compressed over ages. Pretty, yes. Valuable, assuredly. But we dwarves must be greater idiots than I suspected because clearly stated, gems are not sentient."
    Your own experience would seem to differ, but you don't interupt his wild gesturing.
    "So, point a: the power is not the gems and b: the Gem Tower is not its endgame but c: the Gem Tower was nearly built. Why? We look to d: the consequences. It lured the goblins to attack us, and nearly caused us to attack ourselves. The only pattern is bloodshed, but that could be a motive for too many reasons."
    "The thing is, I don't know," Fourguts concluded, watching you meaningfully. "Thus, I can't be sure what actions or lack thereof benefit this power. Ipso facto, I can no longer assume you are not still the one being controlled."
    You angrily ask Fourguts why, then, he is telling you this.
    "Because if the power has not moved on to another dwarf, I want it to know this: I may be an idiot, but I'm aware of how it's acting. And I won't let it do anything that harms my fortress," Fourguts replies darkly. Then he clears his throat and steps back with a wave. "For safety, I'm starting a military under my command. Ten idle dwarves. We only have leather armour and practise weapons for the moment, so you'll understand if I claim some of the next ore vein you strike."
    With that, Fourguts leaves. You shake yourself and with some difficulty return your focus to the dig.

You dig straight down into the earth, only bothering to carve out a staircase before striking down to the next layer of stone. At first your beard bristles with the excitement of digging into the unknown. After the twentieth or so layer and several varieties of silver ore this starts to fade. You do occasionally see gems on your way down, or find a less common ore like gold, but on the whole it could have been more interesting than it actually turned out to be.
    After digging exactly fifty levels underneath the surface you trudge back up to the fortress for a beer. Several other miners are eagerly awaiting news of your discoveries and rush downstairs to practise their technique on some of the ores. You chat with a few passing acquaintances and show off your dabbling comic skills. They go poorly. Not much has happened to the fortress since your expansions, but you learn that another twenty migrants have arrived and been given part-time jobs.
    You amuse yourself for a while by spying on Fourguts' squad. He was only ever good at managing numbers, not dwarves; right now there are nine recruits running around the olivine tower unarmed and in civilian clothing, seven of whom are thirsty and several of which are watching fascinated as another pretends to dodge invisible anvils. It's sort of a work in progress.
    After another ten layers of digging you do uncover something interesting: a muddy, natural cavern large enough that you can't make it all out from your vantage point. There are gems, ores and all kinds of stone sticking out from the walls but nothing you couldn't find elsewhere. The only sign of habitation are a few musty spider webs and small pack of troglodytes that keep well away from you. You're keen to explore, but decide to wait until you've thought it over and widened your stairwell for other dwarves to quickly descend with you.
    Back near the surface, elf merchants are spotted lurking around the edge of your territory. Nobody is sure how long they've been there. You unlock the front door and they kick their warthogs forward. They make it inside safely. Then as they begin unloading the world seems to slow down. You notice little details, like a fouler smell than usual on their skin and a phrase they keep whispering to each other, 'OVERWROTE JOB: Kidnap BY Clean Self.'
    You sigh and count down from three.
    Shinnck-shinnck-shinnck-shinnck-shinnck-shinnck.
    Another goblin attack duly thwarted and the elves still not ready to trade, your mind wanders. You're sure the 'power' isn't influencing you anymore, but how are you going to find who it is affecting? It will act subtler now and goblin blood is already being shed. You can only imagine what it might do next.
    "No, you listen to me, you greedy cunts!" a shrill voice insists. You turn your head and catch a glimpse of a young dwarf girl kicking the shins of an elven merchant. "There is no fucking way you ever fit hundreds of those things on your ugly little piggies. My mummy taught me math and one piggy does not fucking carry a dozen caged monsters unless your plan is to fit the piggy up your skinny arse afterwards! Animals - aren't - fucking - TARDISes. Oh yeah, sure and I'll bet those prickle berry seeds weigh thirty times as much as that maple breastplate. Then again, I guess you don't have any tits to cover up with it, huh? I am calling bullshit on your antics, elves! You want a piece of me? You think you can take this hot shit?! We dorfs will kick your arses so hard that-"
   "Monom!" A dabbling wrestler dashes into the depot, snatches the child and shoves a rope reed sock into her mouth. Monom sulks away and the wrestler turns apologetically to the furious merchant. "I'm so sorry, she normally gets a bit stroppy when she misses her nap time, but this is ... You're trading wood and alcohol, yes? Allow me to add this gabbro statue of dwarves to our offer. Oh I just don't know what's gotten into my poor baby these last few months."
    Hmmm.
    What kind of a clear-thinking dwarf would ever trade away stone for wood?

If you set up a small outpost to explore the caverns, turn to page 248.
If you only send miners to dig out the ore and gems, turn to page 253.
If you ignore the caverns and continue to dig deeper, turn to page 276.
If you abandon the underground and return to work on the surface, turn to page 125.
If you agree with Monom and kill the elves, turn to page 211.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2010, 08:42:03 am »

must...resist...211.

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2010, 10:34:59 am »

Egads, I am shocked into breaking character.  That dwarven girl, I'm having flashbacks to Men In Black, the training senario where the little girl is strolling through the weirdnesses with her advanced science and math texts.  Shoot Her!  Where's the page where we agree with the elves and kill Monom?

*Imp voluntarily accepts the restraints and goes quietly as she's led back to the re-dorfing room.  Her prognosis seems good, but for now she'll be useless in helping select the next page again*

(edited to add, if anyone doesn't get the referance, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ebfrcv4tc, starting at 3:45 to the end)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:45:56 pm by Imp »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:41 am »

KILL ZEE TALL PALE SANTA-HELPING BASTARDS!!!! Mwahahahaha.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:32 am »

"I haven't been officially provisioned an axe." The dabbling wrestler gives a cheery shrug and a vein on Fourguts' forehead nearly pops.
    "Here. Is an axe. Take it!" Fourguts orders, dropping a blunt, wooden weapon at her feet. The wrestler stares forward obliviously.
    "Only arsenal dwarves can allow us weapons," the wrestler informed politely. You hide your smirk as Fourguts glances frustratedly around, then jabs a finger at you.
    "That dwarf is now our arsenal dwarf. Vabok, pick up the axe and start training."
    "But managers can't assign official positions," Vabok frowned in confusion.
    "I'm starting to regret letting that mayor die. Wait, let me check." Fourguts strokes his beard for a moment. "No, he was still a dick."
    "I'm going to practise my wrestling moves now," Vabok announces. She picks her youngest child up by its throat and mimes strangling it on the way upstairs.
    "I swear to Armok, it's almost like she's deliberately ... trying ... to screw our fortress," Fourguts comments slowly. He glances meaningfully between you and the retreating recruit. "I have a 'pet' to 'feed'."
    Fourguts walks away and you are left alone in the drink stockpile. You chug the last of your ale and go for a refill. As you open the barrel a young dwarf bursts out and spits booze through the air.
    "What the fuck do you want?" Monom asks defiantly, leering at your suddenly damp and clinging clothing. "Oh, it's you. The ignoble leader. Hey, you want my advice, pudgy? No I don't give a shit, you're getting it anyway unless you want Fourguts to know everything."
    You're pretty sure she's reaching, but decide to hear her out.
    "That wood you just got from those elf cunts? Burn it. Burn every last log of it to fuel your forges and equip your army. I want to see their oh so precious trees come back to strike their plump, juicy hearts!" Monom mimes a stab and splashes booze out for emphasis. You consider her idea and, for want of any new fuel sources being found in the last few weeks of digging, agree.
    "Really? Awesome! Eeeeee eh-heh. You have to let me watch!" Monom sounds surprised and giggles happily, then clears her throat and glares daggers at you. "I mean, fuck elves. Grr."
    "WHERE IS MY AT ABSOLUTE MINIMUM DECENT DINING ROOM?!" a voice booms through the fortress. You turn around to see a pompous-looking engraver striding haughtily from the lever room. "You, miner! Do you see my two bare legs? I want three greaves made by the end of the month or heads will roll!"
    At the sound of the new mayor's voice, Fourguts strides back into the room.
    "You. Designate an arsenal dwarf. Now!" Fourguts snaps. The mayor blinks and points to a jeweller carrying food in the distance. You vaguely recall them having some record keeping talents.
    "Uh, her. Now can-"
    "No," Fourgut interrupts curtly before storming off again. You exchange a glance with Monom. With this, the military should be able to start training with weapons and armour instead of only unarmed combat.
    "Whoop-de-fucking-do," Monom mutters. "Do any of you adults have standards that reach up to your balls? Oh yeah, Daddy. No wait, fucking spores! The hell with this, I'm out of here." Monom takes a deep breath and dives back into the barrel, slamming the lid shut behind her.

You dig out a tiny office - albeit one fitted with an artifact statue - for the arsenal dwarf, then return to the deep underground. Most of the miners are busy replacing nickel ores from your stockpile with silver and copper ones, so you are alone when you reach the caverns. You turn your efforts to digging a small outpost into the wall there: it will have beds, food, a few tables and chairs, a jeweller's, two looms for collecting webs and a mason's workshop in case you need something quickly. Haulers bring the furniture down eventually and you begin your exploration.
    You are struck, as you wander through the empty halls and twisting passageways, by just how large the space is. A single level could hold your entire fortress if hollowed out, and there are many of those. Splotches of coloured stone mark the walls, creating the disorientating effect of a child's playground. And the gems. Oh yes, dozens, hundreds of them dot the walls. Gold and platinum too. Riches more than any dwarf could desire. Your Gem Tower seems laughable now. You dig some of them out as you go, yet something draws you further forwards and downwards. Curiosity? No, in a dream world like this nothing could be so simple ...
    Another miner finds it first: a gabbro passage leading steeply downwards, carved out by Armok knows who. You follow behind him. You hear a scream. You run in a panic to catch up, but find the miner uninjured with a bugbat corpse splattered nearby. You continue descending together. There must be seventy or even eight layers of stone above you right now! A second bugbat swoops out of nowhere and has its skull cracked open for its trouble. The other miner swears and clutches a gash on his hand. The bugbat flaps away in extreme pain, occasionally lapsing into unconsciousness.
    You go on alone. Nearly a hundred layers under the surface you spot a second cavern at least as expansive as the first. Too large to explore alone for now, so you turn back. A few upward slopes later you find yourself face to face with the same angry bugbat. It streaks towards your head and latches on, biting deep into fat. You let out a pained yell and smash the creature with your pick. The pick sticks into the wound and pulls the bugbat off, knocking it backwards. Before it can recover you strike again, hacking the goddamn thing into oblivion.
    It occurs to you that this puts your battle effectiveness and total kill count higher than Fourguts' entire military. You can't decide if this is a good thing or not.

If you use your 400+ (and counting) gems to prove Fourguts' theory, turn to page 222.
If you begin sticking the gems onto everything in sight, turn to page 102.
If you stockpile the gems into a coloured picture, turn to page 233.
If you trade your newfound wealth for EVERYTHING the next merchants bring, turn to page 95.
If you offer the gems as a gift to the Dwarf King, turn to page 37.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2010, 09:03:42 am »

37: WE NEED MORE PEOPLE

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

Loving this so far. As good as - if not better than - All Dwarves are Bastards. Keep up the great work.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »

Decorate. Fucking. EVERYTHING.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 03:39:46 pm »

Egads, I've barely finished my therapy and must face hard choices like these?  Gemses are not not not for sending aways, me thinknots.  And I'm still hooked on the tower idea, so displaying them on this thing and that is... different.  And 'proving Fourguts right'... is probaby going to be a problem.  Though... that's the only choice I can live with.  222, the best of the worst!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12