Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43263 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2010, 08:55:56 am »

213. We need an alliance with the cat, there is no other way.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2010, 09:27:30 am »

Alliance with that -vile- ca... ca.. thing?!?!?!?!  Never, never never never.  I'd sooner break the gem tower myself.  Everything was fine until that... that... that ca... THING appeared.  Until it's dead, we're going to have no peace.

And it owns Fourguts.  Fourguts gotta die.  And we gotta figure out who else the cat owns.  We can't kill IT until we kill everyone it owns, or it'll use them to save itself.  Somehow.

But it doesn't own Foureyes.  Yet.  So there's still at least one dwarf we can trust to house in the tower with the gems.  Remember, back when we first turned to page 166?  The tower's for the gems and the six dwarves we can trust.  No one else.  And we haven't felt the cave in yet.  IT'S NOT TO LATE TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT.

There's only one answer.  We MUST seal the fortress.  Foureyes is good at this, he even sealed the tower by mistake while helping smooth the stones.

If we're really lucky we'll manage to trap Fourguts OUTSIDE.  And other traitors.  We can't hope to catch Ninjacat, he'll be inside.  But if we seal it right, Ninjacat can't count on Foureyes any more.  So it'll be like we killed him without all the work.  And he won't break our plan.

159.  THERE CAN BE NO DEALS WITH THE CA... thing.  NONE.  Very few dwarves we can trust now.  We must not let it ruin our six, we can't let it get to them and it will BREAK our SHINING DREAMS.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »

13 we cant start relying on the ninja cat and also this should be in forum games and rp
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:48 pm »

mistake
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2010, 04:25:21 am »

so looks like we are going to let the cat fight the goblins. but I like walls so 13.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2010, 07:17:35 am »

"That cat you were stalking a while back? The one that won't even act as a chained sentry, let alone fight? Maybe we're both putting too much faith into a single creature," Foureyes comments. You say nothing, and tears start to well in her eyes. "I wanted to trust YOU!"
    You try to comfort Foureyes, and mention not-too-subtly your lever.
    "Oh, I bet you've always wanted to use that line," Foureyes smirks, wiping her eyes. "But I can't. I literally can't. I, well." Foureyes laughs sadly and presses her hand against the lever. Your eyes widen as it passes straight through. "I may have been exaggerating when I said I got better."
    Before your eyes, Foureyes starts to fade. She looks as surprised and distraught as you do, desperately snatching at the lever but failing to grap hold of anything. You stretch out your hand for hers. The slightest chill meets your fingers but Foureyes is already gone.
    You are alone.
    Time is broken up only by Fourguts occasionally throwing you drinks. At first you sleep pressed hard against the ground, feeling for the faintest vibrations echoing through the earth. Then all at once you stop caring. Even if the gems are destroyed, you could always dig up more. But you'll never have your friends back or the idle banter you shared in the days before this island. This is its true blight, you suppose. The goblins were just here to suffer it first.
    One morning your nightmares are interrupted by a scratching at the bars. You look up to see a familiar cinnamon cat mewing at you from outside. You stare at it pitiably for several minutes. It never blinks, only observes. Then it turns and pads away. A moment later you hear a click and your cell's door slides open.
    Without thinking you pull your worn spider silk cap deep over your eyes and slip outside. The cat is already gone. You hurry upstairs and begin to observe your fortress anew.
    Head down, you walk through dozens of dwarves who pay you little attention. Most seem to be busy hauling in new supplies. Wood, food and drink, cloth and leather. You approach the trade depot cautiously and see several human merchants looking pleased with themselves. Beyond them the weapon traps are bloodied with fresh goblin corpses. Sickeningly, you notice an unfamiliar dwarf had been leading them while wielding a bow. As you leave you notice a fearful peasant poking their head into the entrance. They breath a sigh of relief to see that the goblins are technically dead now and it is okay to step over their motionless bodies to reach safety.
    You pay a visit to the tombs next. There are far more than three coffins you started it with now. You avoid looking at Foureyes' and instead count how many are occupied. Two more dwarves must have died in only the last few days. One of them was the woodcutter sent with you by the King. There are empty cages aplenty piled nearby. You imagine the elves' animals are squashed into the single cage you saw by the depot. You truly hope for all their sakes that none of them are horny.
    You notice a new stairway to the south, dubbed by a crude sign the "western swamps". It leads upwards to an artificial inlet from the nearby brook and aquifer. There are several rods nearby but no fish in sight for the moment. There are probably still plenty in the brook. Walls block the passage outside for any terrestrial invaders.
    Your stockpiles in general appear to be much fuller than before your incarceration. There is plenty of food available and the levels of drink are staggering - at least until you notice the sticky labels on every stolen barrel forbidding the use of the actual booze inside. You rectify this quickly and count over two thousand servings. The weapons stockpile seems empty at first. Then you realise that around eighty weapons have already been installed or set aside for use in a new detour at your entrance; it is no more friendly to merchant wagons, but an understandable reaction when the oneandahalflings keep leading invaders to your doorstep. The stone stockpile underneath the forges has been dug much, much larger as well. It seems the mining outside has been cancelled and most of the ores and fuel hauled to safety.
    Two dwarves suddenly enter the room, carrying bituminous coal. You pretend to be shifting copper bars into a bin and listen in to their conversation.
    "... so then the mayor gets all huffy and starts demanding lay pewter items for his nonexistent office!" one dwarf exclaims. They both laugh heartily.
    "Seriously, what does he think he's going to do? He has no muscle to lock us up like-"
    "Hey, shuss. I know Fourguts has admired a bunch of things lately, but he was VERY unhappy just last week. You want to be the reason he snaps?" The other dwarf nervously agrees and they leave the room empty-handed.
    You frown and dump the bars aside. It's only a matter of time before Fourguts realises you're missing. You've seen that the others dwarves are too busy to do anything with the gems yet, but there's no way you have enough time to use them all even if you wanted to. Still, there must be something you can do to take advantage of this.

If you approach Fourguts in his office and apologise for everything, turn to page 247.
If you begin digging fortress expansions more helpful than an olivine tower, turn to page 138.
If you affix several gems onto furniture to prevent their activation OR destruction, turn to page 204.
If you gather loyal dwarves and begin a resistance movement, turn to page 230.
If you approach Fourguts in his office and cave it in, turn to page 188.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2010, 07:34:08 am »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2010, 07:43:52 am »

138.  Though I am unsure, this might be what the ninjademoncat wants.  If that's true, we really gotta pick a different page.  Ninjacat is evil, evil I say, and it's tricking us somehow.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2010, 08:07:39 am »

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2010, 08:27:17 am »

138.  Time to expand.  Down into the deep.  More gems are calling.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2010, 08:44:30 am »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2010, 10:39:04 am »

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2010, 01:42:01 pm »

204! the gems must be contained before their evil claims others!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:11 pm »

204! the gems must be contained before their evil claims others!

Fie!  We loves our gems, loves!  What is this fool talk of evil?  Evil be the ninjacat!

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2010, 09:29:48 am »

You walk into the weapons stockpile and grab the first spare pick you see. It's only copper, but it feels good to have one in your hands again. Before anybody can question you you quickly leave and head towards the fisheries, then through to the lever room. The new food stockpile is close enough to smell. With a firm nod you begin hacking at the northern wall. After a few minutes three newer dwarves join you. They ask for the specs without a hint of recognition, and before long you're proudly standing in a reasonably-sized cavity.
    You politely ask the other miners to find a few idlers while you begin smoothing the perimeter. They come back with nearly a dozen - including several familiar faces - and you hurriedly make excuses to leave. Before you go you explain the purpose of the room to a mason in the crowd: a new dining room to complement your old 7-seater. The mason indifferently agrees to begin furnishing, and you move on.
    Your rather worn and uncomfortable disguise inspires you to prepare a clothing factory. You decide to dig it out west of the other workshops and include looms, dye, even a leather works. There'll be a warehouse one level down as well, out from the central stockpiles. The dig begins fairly well until the only other legendary miner joins you. You quietly face away, but you're sure they must know who you are. By the time you've finished though, all they do is nod gruffly and announce they're going to round up some bored fishers to start clothesmaking.
    With more confidence, you continue your work further downstairs. You throw up some signs directing dwarves to a new, larger refuse pile in the mines. You also start moving all the empty cages from the elves's animals somewhere more respectful than around your dead; a generic square room beside your trade depot should be fine. You grab some dwarves and have it dug and the cages hauled. While they're busy doing that, you direct some modifications to the tomb: olivine walls surrounding it instead of out in the open, and the indifferent "Eh." is changed to an anguished dwarven cry of "Eh!"
    Next on your list, a bedroom for every dwarf! No more of this dormitory nonsense, under your plan each and every worker will have their own cabinet, chest, bed and door. Dwarves eagerly line up to start digging, uncaring of who the orders are coming from, just that they're finally coming. They're dug in cosy lines north of the current dorm. Idlers are recruited for dumping and smoothing, while a whole new stockpile has to be dug just to fit in all the furniture being crafted and hauled around. Not only are you putting dwarves in beds, but you're putting them in jobs with unemployment at a record low!
    And that's not all. Because you are dedicated to thwarting terrorist attacks on this fortress, your new policy will cut back on embarkee-only privileges like entire floors to themselves, instead turning the olivine tower into a military base for training and future operations. But since you're so dedicated to peace and diplomatic agreements, you've voluntarily kept your Weapons of Mass Dwarf at zero. You're also spending more than ten ... nickle bars on a maximum security prison in the mines to keep criminals locked away for good.
    You'll even construct a new swimming mega-stadium filled from the flooded kitchens and open for public lessons.
    Altogether the expansions take many months before they are completed entirely. While you slowly regain the dwarves' trust, the opposite seems to occur for the elected mayor. Some time after his demands went unmet he was struck by a fey mood, demanding silk and body parts. The current merchants had none of the first and nobody was too willing to offer the second. A small group of rogue masons walled off his workshop entirely overnight. Later he went stark raving mad and began stripping. Thank Armok the wall was already built. He tried pleading for escape by ending his mandates, but eventually died of thirst. The dwarves hated him so much that they abolished the position of mayor entirely.
    Dwarf merchants visited once, thankfully without goblins. Wood, cloth and extra food - since fishing inlet had proven unsuccessful - were purchased. As you left a cinnamon cat seemed to appear from nowhere and rubbed against your legs. From a distance it might have appeared as an affectionate gesture; watching its even eyes, you knew better. I trusted you and gave you a second chance, it says without words, without anger or praise. And someday, you owe me.
    You never see Fourguts once.
    By the time expansions are complete, the fortress is running better than ever. The extra weapon traps are finally completed and the smelters turned off with only a little spare fuel. Food and drink supplies remain very high. There are no unhappy dwarves in the hallways. Monkeys continue to steal dead elven items. Two hundred cut gems are hoarded away in bins. There have been several births. An artifact is being constructed right now.
    Only one niggling thing is missing: glory. Your fortress will survive peacefully, but even kobolds can survive. You remember your words to the King when you asked for this land. Glory to the dwarves. If you wish to truly lead again, you must given them something they can't already take. Something they're afraid to lose because they know they must. Something funglorious.

If you provoke oneandahalfling merchants while using your gems to massively boost created wealth, turn to page 240.
If you dig deep underground and lay claim to all you find, turn to page 271.
If you found a hardy military to sweep the island, turn to page 156.
If you build mighty walls to block all invaders from your territory, turn to page 173.
If you can't be bothered and stay home to watch the new season of Survivor: Crocodiles VS Goblins, turn to page 95.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12