Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43249 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »

Hide the coal in a bin, yes. A bin that you accidentally ordered dumped into the magma sea, yes. Then a random fisherdwarf gets it out and throws it into the !!items on fire!! stockpile right next to the goblins. But surely, a dwarf dosen't know what fire is anyway... Screw the explaination, just go with it.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2010, 08:03:58 pm »

"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

LordNuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2010, 12:02:51 am »

The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2010, 12:55:20 am »

for !!FUN!!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2010, 03:35:55 am »

Mmmm.  So many choices.  259 does fit the feel of the storyline, but... why are we doing that again?

Oh, right.  More coal for more steel or something.  Can't even 'play' at 'hiding' that.  Carry on!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2010, 08:55:33 am »

Technical note: For the record, we're down to a measly 18-20 FPS by the end of this 'page'.

When you first came to this island, all those years ago, you were seven dwarves. Seven dwarves with barely a handful of supplies but dreams of glory as wide as the world. You worked, you joked, and you struggled. Now you live in the halls of millionaires and so, so many more are dead.
    Today you and the other miners begin digging out a grander tomb for them than the dusty corner half of them are currently shoved into. It's located deeper underground than the bulk of your exploratory mining and you've splint up to clear two separate levels. The top will be primarily decorative, with a large hall and circular rooms full of offerings for the afterlife. The bodies of the bravest dwarves will rest in the lower level. The two largest chambers will be prepared or reserved for Foureyes and Fourguts, four medium rooms for the King's dwarves who begun the journey with you, while sixteen smaller tombs will house the military and their closest friends.
    You do not feel the need to dig yourself a grave. You worry sometimes you already have.
    Once the digging is under way you briefly return to the main fortress to give further orders. Masons are to begin constructing furniture and statues for the tomb, while other dwarves will haul out the rubble. The two levels together are fairly large and you can already see this is going to take a while. It doesn't help that most of the civilians are a little too cheery about the work - you dug two tunnels into the tombs, but every time you glance back at them one is empty while the other is full of dwarves gaily playing leapfrog.
    After the digging is finished and clearing nearing completion, you return to the fortress entrance and check on the goblin invaders. They're still lurking to the west of your fortress. Worryingly, you can't see their lasher leader anywhere. The others look bored and cold. You step back from the peep hole and ponder your defences. Monom scrambles under your legs then stands on her toes to see outside.
    "Hey. I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'g'," Monom sings with a twisted grin. You stare at her for a moment before giving the obvious answer. "Not unless goblins are suddenly gigantic shit-sticky turtles who just fucked coral."
    Monom laughs and runs away while you stare outside. A massive figure towers on the horizon, wandering carelessly towards your fortress. As it strides far too quickly closer you can make out the ocean titan's angry sneer. And pretty, multicoloured coral belt. You're going to have some trouble taking this particular reawaken menace seriously.
    The titan stops and looms over your garden, giving you a good view up its literally sparkling clean nostrils. It chuckles deep enough to shake the hallways, all the while producing a cheery jingling sound against its shell. It steps around your garden with exaggerated care and unintentional cuteness. Your spear traps prove utterly helpless against the titan's massive girth, until its web sticks them to its feet like toilet paper.
    Your fortress is so screwed.
    Then suddenly from the shadows, the smallest challenger appears. A cinnamon blur that dashes staunchly towards the impossibly larger attacker. The ocean titan snarls and charges in reply, fists clenched. Their heavy weight slams down, but the blur is already gone and the cat who you still swear is a ninja stands mockingly clear. The titan charges again and the cat dodges easily. As the titan leans down the cat leaps into the air and latches on its left upper leg, tearing the flesh open and fracturing the bone. The titan roars and swings again. The cat-
    Splat.
    Thump, shinnck.

Dismay washes over you and your whole body feels numb. Not like this. Not to such a sudden, ridiculous foe. Not through your mistake. You hear a sorrowful goblin shriek from the cages, and a fainter one from catapult range. The ocean titan steps uncaring over the cat's corpse and smashes aside the floodgate.
    There is no consolation when the titan fails to destroy your wall. There is no relief when it wanders off and leaves the fortress. There is, okay, a little satisfaction in seeing the idle goblin army swarming the monster and swiftly hacking both of its hands and one foot off then repeatedly shattering its coral body until it stops flailing, but that's somewhat balanced out by how scary those goblins actually are versus your entirely civilian population.
    With a heavy heart, you join the smoothing and engraving of the tombs. These are far from the first walls to receive the treatment but there are no especially skilled engravers among you - instead dozens of novices work and mourn together. Perhaps it's better this way. They'd only be idle otherwise.
    The next few weeks pass slowly, in a frustrated daze. A second army of goblins surrounds your fortress. There are dozens of new invaders, some with bows and every single one mounted on a bird, bat or cave crawler. They occasionally circle your fortress and taunt it, daring you to emerge.
    According to Fourguts' calenders, by the time you have finished the slow process of engraving the walls and floors of the tomb the Age of Hydra has officially begun. It doesn't feel like a beginning in your cosy, quiet fortress.
    You oversee the repositioning of coffins into their new tombs and it goes ... rather poorly. The haulers take their commands a little too literally and, when asked to remove the coffins from their current location, dump the partial skeletons out and leave them behind. To make things worse, when you try to order them returned to the coffins you find them confoundingly unwilling to assign a tomb to any dwarf who is actually dead. The result is a procession of coincidentally ecstatic dwarves shoving the remains of their loved ones in random stone boxes.
    "H a v e   I   j u s t   d r u n k   t o o   m u c h   f u c k i n g   c o f f e e  t h i s   m o r n i n g ,   o r   i s   t h i s   h a u l i n g   t a k i n g   w a y   t o o   l o o o n g ?" Monom irritably comments once. The question startles you, because you had assumed it was only your mood. But as haulers beginning carrying armour stands and weapon racks, cabinets and coffers down to furnish the tombs, you take note of their speed. Without even realising it, they shuffle instead of run. Outside, the same sunset becomes too familiar. And the goblins ...
    "What haven't you told me?" Fourguts demands when night finally falls. You put on a perplexed expression, but he is undeterred. "You're not a fool enough to believe our victory - we're as trapped in here as our caged friend. Yet outside I just saw the first goblin squad break and flee in terror! Our crops outside are withering, our animals haven't given birth for weeks and unless I am very much mistaken something is screwing with our perception of time. Meanwhile, you stand here casually using dozens of reserved gems in decorative windows like you know the King isn't coming. Now you had better tell me why or I swear to Armok I will throw you outside and pray that I'm next idiot to be brainwashed."
    Because suffering comes from two sides, you realise now. Death is finite. Seven dwarves were seven dwarves and never enough to spill the blood this island demanded. It could control you, it could give you just enough ore to slay the goblins you were blindly leading here, but if that were all then this would have ended long before you ever set out for glory. But life ... Birth and growth and the renewing of races was all that drenched the island, and what other form than a cat to take? Ninja cat didn't save you because you owed him, he saved you because you dug too deep and the island's darkness ran free. He wanted you to finish the goblins so that their blight's other side would starve and die with them. But now that cat is dead, and everything is unbalanced. That dark, manipulative power, that feaster on blood, that beast that rest of the world forgot can finally escape unchecked and devour everything and everyone until there is nothing left to consume but itself.
    "The island is dying," Fourguts mouths slowly. Dread dawns on his face, but he fights to keep it under control. Crease lines form on his forehead and he paces while rapping them. "The ocean titan must have been controlled. Then why did it bother fighting the goblins? For the beast to continue feasting? To ... no, to pit the island's strongest powers against each other. Anything help prisoner for so long would escape if it could, the death must speed its release. Then we are all that's left. And the goblins, but assume they can't reproduce, at least not enough to stop it." Fourguts suddenly lets out a frustrated scream, then breathes deeply and continues pacing.
    "We can send merchants for help, but we might not have time and the goblins will never trust anyone from outside. Our migrants ... ugh, too slow, too unreliable, and nobody will come when they realise it's a deathtrap. Animals won't complain but they can't be enough or you wouldn't have the goblins in the first place. There's nothing - we have no counterbalance. So. The only possible win condition is to remove the danger altogether," Fourguts stops and stares at you, his face unnaturally even. You speak the conclusion together.
    You have to kill the forgotten beast.

If you equip your miners and attempt a direct attack, turn to page 301.
If you move your cage full of wildlife and release them into the caverns, turn to page 302.
If you install remote controls and lure the beast into your cave-in traps, turn to page 303.
If you connect the mineshaft to the surface and let the goblins defeat their torturer, turn to page 304.

LordNuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2010, 09:11:16 am »

304 is very tempting, but the cave-in trap is (probably) going to be more reliable.
303!
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2010, 09:42:39 am »

I'll have to say 303 too.

Also, great job  :D  I laughed buckets with the story so far.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

Long has I hated dread ninjacat.  I devote the rest of my reply to a time of silence, and forego my vote as I contemplate my satisfaction and regret that enemymine has died.  I wonder if its ghost shall stalk our halls.  I wonder if the force that controlled batticat has already found a new host.  I'll be standing near the gems lost in thought, for now.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2010, 12:20:09 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOO!! NINJACAT!!!! WHY? WHY?

:'(
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2010, 06:05:04 pm »

Ah Ninjacat, we hardly knew ye.  Or actually we knew ye pretty well, I guess.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2010, 08:34:32 am »

You and Fourguts determinately push yourselves through the jelly-like air towards the party room. Your mind spins with ideas and plans as you move, while Fourguts jots down official designations.
    "You should have told me about the cave-in traps as you dug them," Fourguts grumbles, crossing out several figures and making new calculations. You open your mouth to reply, but another dwarves gets in first.
    "Did someone say 'cave-in traps'?" Monom echoes with interest, popping her head out of a gem stockpile and falling into pace behind you.
    "Yes. We're killing the forgotten beast with three of them. Now shoo," Fourguts dismisses. Monom jogs to catch up, then lunges forward and grabs onto Fourguts' leg. He doesn't falter and Monom starts skidding effortlessly across the floor.
    "You had better fucking not be killing any awesome final bosses without me," Monom warns. She clears her throat and starts trying to headbutt Fourguts in his crotch. "Can I come? Can I come? Can iiIIii come? Can I ohhhh shit, a corner!"
    Thwack.
    By the time only you and Fourguts arrive at your destination there are over forty dwarves idly chatting. Fourguts clears his throat and they fall into nervous silence. You both put on wide smiles, and they shirk further back.
    "I need three mechanics who worked on this dwarf's cave-in traps to install remote levers right here. The rest of you grab a rock and follow me to the mines - we're putting up walls to detour anything else that escapes when we reconnect the mineshaft. There's no time for more, trust me when I tell you that a giant, noxious beetle needs to die ASAP," Fourguts orders. The idlers are stunned into stillness until Fourguts claps his hands. "What are you waiting for? Go!"
    The dwarves rush slowly off, and the preparation for your showdown begins. Dwarves rush back and forth carrying stone. Three mechanics each set out for a cave-in trap in the mines. Most of the walls are up fairly quickly. It feels like the mechanics are down there forever. You're on the verge of sending out a rescue party when the first returns and begins the final connections under your watch.
    Once everything is ready, you grab your pick and head into the mines. You walk the winding path down to your traps. More than the failing island slows each step. Fear shakes you now you're alone. But you're not really, are you? Hungry roars echo up the mineshaft.
    Finally you stand at the end of your rigged corridor, a solid stone wall before you. You swing your pick. Layers of stone fall away like dwarves after a magma accident. The roars louden. You smash through the final wall and gaze at the mineshaft before you. Deep below you hear ominous clicking.
    You run.
    "'Bout time you fucking got here," Monom laughs as you burst into the party room. She's sitting by the three levers with her ear close a small tube in the floor. "The party's almost started!"
    "Monom. It's here," Fourguts' voice carries from somewhere underground. Dozens of idle dwarves whisper nervously as the message is relayed. A faint roar pierces his report. "The beetle has visual on the dog. It's heading for the first chamber. Ready? Pull the left lever NOW!"
    Monom leaps up with a wild grin and clutches at the handle. It creaks, then falls downwards and clangs onto the ground. In the distance you hear a subdued wumph. You strain your ear towards the tube. Faint crackling sounds and the faintest hint of dust itches your nostrils.
    "Your OTHER left!" Fourguts snaps. "You just wasted chamber three!"
    "I'm standing on the same side as the fucking tube!" Monom yells back down irritably. You glance at the mechanics, who look away guiltily.
    "That's not- Pull the middle lever!" Fourguts roars. Monom jerks the lever down and another collapse follows. You cross your fingers and wait.
    "It's direct hit, I repeat, the beetle is hit," Fourguts reports. There's another pause, and a sigh carries through the tube. "The collapse was successful, the forgotten beast is dead."
    A victorious cheer bursts from every dwarf with split second accuracy. You laugh in relief and give a lingering hug to the miner next to you. Monom casually struts the room proudly and declares herself the most powerful dwarf in the fort's entire history.
    No. No no no no no. That had to have been it, there was nothing else but dead gems down there. You heard Fourguts. You won. So why does your beer still pour so slowly?!
    "Wait." Fourguts speaks so softly that party silences itself instantly. "I'm hearing something else. It's coming up from the mines. I'm getting a foul smell and what sounds like some kind of crab, but it-"
    For several seconds, not even Fourguts can speak. When he does it begins with a frustrated scream and ends with a voice so tense it presses daggers to your ears.
    "It's a forgotten beast! Either that thing somehow survived or you were wrong and there's more than one, but it's coming into the ..." Fourguts yells. Panic breaks out and drowns out the rest of message to your ears. You roar at the dwarves to stay silent and smack several over the head with your pick's handle when they don't. Monom collapses onto the floor with her ear to the pipe, shaking slightly.
    "... one chance left, do you hear me? Don't screw this up!" Fourguts emphasises from below. You run to Monom's side and grasp the last lever with both hands, ready to pull. "It's entering the first chamber. NOT YET. Damn it, the bait's are already dead! It's sticking to the walls. It might not even- PULL!"
    You wrench the lever down. A collapse follows underground, but you can already hear from Fourguts' screams that it was too late. This forgotten beast is free and you have nothing else ready to stop it reaching your fortress.
    You abandon the horrified crowd and run downstairs as fast as your legs and gravity combined will carry you. You scoop up stone as you run, heading for the mines. Fourguts passes you at its entrance, his face pale. In the distance you hear something huge scuttling through stone passages. You slam rubble into place. The beast nears. You press the last piece off your makeshift wall together and slump against it with an anxious sigh.
    "Aaaiii!" a leatherworker suddenly shrieks, storming up to you. "My poor child, you've trapped my poor baby boy out all alone with that horrible monster!"
    Great. Because, you weren't under enough pressure already.

If you equip your miners and begin the final showdown, turn to page 305.
If you don't equip your miners and attack before the child is hurt, turn to page 311.
If you pit your caged wildlife against the beast reborn, turn to page 306.
If you let the goblins into your mines and fetch the popcorn, turn to page 307.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2010, 08:46:47 am »

305 seems most likely to succeed. I'd go for the miners and the caged animals, just to be sure.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2010, 08:58:38 am »

305!

Too bad for the child, though.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2010, 09:56:11 am »

Danger danger death.  Danger danger death.  Page?  There's death on every page from here.  We're going down with the cat, argh!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12