Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43251 times)

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »

But make it big please
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »

"Hello, Fourguts! We're going outside to protect the masons outside who are building a peaceful outside garden - outside!" Vabok informs excitedly.
    "Okay's that's ... what," Fourguts replies, but you and Vabok are already legging it before he can object. You grab masons, haulers, farmers, even fishers as you go, until soon you have a large procession skipping and singing on your way down to the slowly refreshing forest.
    You describe your plans as you go: the stone wall will circle around most of the forest, including a small section of river for fishing, but avoiding your current fort entrance and outdoor farm. You'll grow small patches of wild berries among the trees. You'll bring out decorative statues and picnic tables. Tame horses can frolic freely. You might even talk with a mechanic about setting up a windmill-powered waterfall. Oh, it will be-
    SMACK!
    "What the fuck is wrong with you!?" Monom exclaims. "Are you a dwarf or an elf?" She delivers a second harsh blow across your cheek. You shake yourself and apologise for your brief lapse of judgement, but insist that fish, wood and plants are all important resources that your wall will protect. Monom gives you a piercing look and retreats for the moment.
    Construction begins quickly. Vabok and four other axedwarves stand around talking by the river while masons lay the first stone for the southeastern corner. Several grumbles come up when it starts to rain, but work presses on. You are about to join in yourself when a cinnamon cat pads up to you carrying a piece of paper in its mouth. You take it with a raised eyebrow.
    'No patrols. No escape routes. No defences,' it reads. 'Take better care of your friends, worker of stone. Oh, but don't worry about me. There's a reason cats don't have a relationship screen. I'm not really a ninja. It's just that nobody ever notices me. Or my feelings.'
    You roll your eyes and shoo the cat away. Fourguts' military is ready to cover any retreat and the weapon traps are still in place, what's the worst that could-
    "Eeeeeelves!" Monom's high pitched voice fails to carry, but it doesn't take much longer for the rest of the masons to notice the oncoming merchants. "The cuuuuuunts are here!"
    You glance uphill, think for a second, then give the order for everyone to hide inside and pretend they're not home. Masons drop what they're doing, fishers disguise their rods as reeds and everybody quickly marches back to the fort entrance. Until the worst possibility that you had darkly suspected occurs:
    The elf merchants spot you and wave. Also there's a goblin between you and your fortress. Vabok whoops and charges towards it, while you and the civilians flee in all directions. The last you see before making it back behind the traps is five axedwarves angrily surrounding one over-exerted goblin. From further out you hear the war cries of several squads of goblins. Monom lets out a startled cry as a dwarven child falls into a bloody mess. You quickly cover her eyes, and she shivers in your arms.
    It isn't long before you hear the screams of several civilian dwarves who weren't smart enough to flee inside. You watch as the rest of the military rushes outside to join the battle. It sounds like the axedwarves are fighting a whole squad of goblins now. You creep down the trapped corridor for a glimpse, trying to ignore the pained screams of your broker. The military was ordered to return inside, surely it shouldn't be taking them this long to ...
    THEY'RE STILL FIGHTING WITH THEIR TRAINING WEAPONS. Every single dwarf is carrying at least an iron battle but they JUST KEEP ATTACKING WITH THE TRAINING ONES. Five against one was apparently not good enough odds to even kill the first goblin! You scream at the military that their training weapons are forbidden, but it makes no difference. One dwarf is missing a foot, another bleeding heavily from their arm. Before your eyes you see Fourguts' only axe lord cut down while desperately clinging onto his blunt hunk of wood.
    "M- Mummy's coming back soon, right?" Monom asks from behind you. You silently pull her deeper inside the fortress. For several minutes screams sound from outside. Eventually there's silence, and several shinncks. Monom is left in tears while you cautiously check the carnage outside. You count eight bodies, with Vabok and a male axedwarf missing in action.
    A deep scream echoes from downhill, followed by goblin laughter. You peer down into the forest nervously. Then you catch sight of a wind-whipped beard and Vabok is racing towards you. She waves, and you hurriedly gesture her towards the fort entrance. Three goblins give chase behind her. She nears the traps. The goblins swing their axes and snap their whip towards her.
    At the last moment Vabok suddenly veers east and flees away from the entrance. The goblins leer at you, but continue racing after her until they're all out of sight. You locate the nearest wall and bang your head against it.
    "Ha ha, where did my foot go?" Vabok laughs from somewhere downhill. "I'd lose my head if it wasn't screwed on!"
    It takes a long time for the goblins to get another attack through her parrying, but eventually you hear her final scream.

"Ten," Fourguts states bluntly. You nod awkwardly. It's later in his office. Idle dwarves are already cleaning the weapon traps and bringing back the bodies. There doesn't seem to be much point retrieving their equipment. "Ten squares of wall is all you managed to construct before fifteen of my dwarves were killed - including the entire military."
    You nod again and Fourguts massages his forehead.
    "What happened to the elves?"
    "Who gives a shit?" Monom mutters. She was huddled in the corner of the room when you arrived, and nobody dared ask her to leave. "My entire family is dead. Mummy's dead. Daddy's dead. Sis is dead. All my friends are dead. What do I do. Every last one of those fuckers is gone and their killers are impaled on spikes and even the elves are cut to pieces and I don't ... even ..." Her voices trails off and she stares at the wall.
    "Welcome to the fortress," Fourguts replies blandly.
    "FUCK YOU!" Monom roars, leaping to her feet. You hold her arms as she flails and sobs before finally walking away quietly, utterly miserable.
    Fourguts unfolds his arms and opens his palms. You listen to the sounds of still-mostly-cheerful hauling outside.
    "Well I'm open to suggestions," Fourguts admits dryly.

If you demand answers from the goblin captive, turn to page 228.
If you demand answers from 'ninja' cat, turn to page 283.
If you topple your olivine tower, turn to page 74.
If you set out to kill the forgotten beast, turn to page 300.
If you keep building outside while the goblins recover, turn to page 154.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2010, 11:10:08 pm »

Meowth! That's right!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2010, 02:26:06 am »

228, might as well try that. Wasn't he high-ranked or what?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2010, 02:46:55 am »

We're supposed to save dwarves, and none of the other options are likely to do that.  228 might be interesting and informative, but I suspect it would lead to an escaped and dangerous goblin running about loose and distracting us, probably right as more trouble occurs.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2010, 11:08:28 am »

Fifteen dead dwarves because of one stupid bug.
God I love this game.

(Well, when I'm not the one experiencing the bugs)

I'd pick an option, but I'm pretty sure O.M.N said (s)he picks the choice of the first person to reply.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2010, 11:44:32 pm »

154, and I herd that less people die if you give them real weapons and burn all the training weapons
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:14 am »

Technical note: An- An A2 page is a page.

"You can't be serious," Fourguts replies flatly. He examines your expression for a moment, then turns around and hangs his head. You ignore him though - because you're sick of dwarves dying for nothing. It wasn't really Vabok's ignorance that killed her. It was an ideal. She died believing that nobody could really mean her harm. Her last hours were spent protecting a garden where her children could rest and place peacefully. Now Monom is the only Oshurtirist left and you'll be damned if you're going to go out there and tell her that that training axe didn't mean something.
    Okay, maybe it was a little bit of stupidity. But still. Now you have a limited time frame to get the garden walls up before you risk another goblin attack, so this going to take as many dwarves as you can get your hands on. You stride into the party room and assign every single idler a section of wall to begin masoning. The area you're closing off will be a little larger than forty by one hundred squares. If they can't work fast than they'll have to work en masse.
    The next few weeks are busy ones. For several days you pace the fortress and send any further idlers outside to help construction. Soon there are dozens of dwarves carrying and working with stone outside at any given time. There are no sightings of goblins or any oneandahalfling races, but the work is not without less deadly interruptions: some trees must be cut down and stray arrows dumped to make room for straight stretches. Where the wall goes up or downhill extra care must be taken to remove slopes and overlap walls to ensure no invaders can sneak over it. A herd of mountain goats occasionally scare edgy dwarves, but there are no reported attacks. A party is thrown - you allow this for the sake of the unhappy dwarves. A carpenter withdraws from society to create another pretty but functionless artifact.
    Despite all this, progress goes smoothly The stone wall turns around the brook and rises up the southeastern mound. It lines the forest and heads north, then west. All that remains is a northern jut around a grassy overhang before sharing a wall with your outdoor farm and connecting back to itself. Unfortunately, not everyone is pleased. The King's doctor is the first dwarf to throw a tantrum. A few other angry dwarves stage protests on and off, refusing to work before shortly calming down. They are too few to make much of an impact though, and the majority of dwarves are happy enough to finally finish the walls.
    During your break, you meet Fourguts in his office and ask how Monom has been faring.
    "Poorly," Fourguts answers, not looking away from his stockpile records. You remain standing for several minutes until it's clear you're not leaving without further details. Fourguts grumbles and turns around. "She slept. She attempted to arrange a meeting with the 'mayor', but the mayor was too busy partying. She got drunk. She tried to speak with the mayor again. The party ended and the mayor ignored her to haul. This, incidentally, is why he can't have the nice things."
    "Once a sympathetic farmer informed me, I cancelled all of the mayor's labors. The mayor than went for a casual drink, Monom following him the whole time. She snapped and threw a tantrum. He then attended a meeting with her. She kicked over a table and screamed at him for several minutes before calming down. Afterwards she left to store some clothing, kicking down another table for no evident reason. She is currently idle and quite content," Fourguts finished. "Now go away."
    Before landscaping the garden itself, you organise a quick test to ensure the walls are all complete. Two miners are ordered to dig the tunnel connecting the garden and main fortress, but are only allowed to start from the outside. They rush off within seconds and you follow their path. It turns out you missed a small gap underneath the overhang. The passage is walled off and test repeated. This time the miners stand around confused before shrugging and walking off to install some spare coffins. Success! You happily begin digging the tunnel from your fortress, your mood picking up even further when you discover it goes right through a large patch of iron ore.
    The next step is for you to clean up the forest you've walled off. Dwarves idle from the wall's completion are put to work again, this time dumping scattered arrows and firefly remains that mysteriously start showing up everywhere. Nobody is willing to touch the bloody pile of Vabok's equipment. Most of the miners busy themselves by digging out iron ore both from the tunnel and the southeastern mound that's finally protected. You deconstruct a small section of wall shared with the outdoor farm in order to place a door and share a seed stockpile. Later, you and few other dwarves make a mad dash to the dead elven merchants, bringing back wood, cloth, and more importantly, seeds.
    Underneath the combined strength of dozens of focused dwarves, the garden slowly takes form. Dabbling dwarves volunteer as farmers to grow a wide variety of beautiful plants over the soil. Novice dwarven masons construct several shady gazebos to relax under. Unskilled dwarves happily carry out tables and chairs to eat and laugh over. Professional butchers put away their knives and gently lead horses to add a wild atmosphere to the garden. Confused horses gallop back to the doors and sneak inside the moment a dwarf passes through. Frustrated butchers pit the bloody things back off the southeastern mound and slam the doors in their faces only to find the animals partying inside minutes later.
    While the finishing touches are still being put on the garden, human merchants arrive on the horizon. You hurry dwarves away from the fort's entrance and double-check that the garden is safe from ground attacks. Surprisingly, the ambush never comes and the merchants safely begin unloading their goods. One gives you a weird look as you nervously poke your head upstairs. You leap to attention after hearing a shinnck - but it was only a groundhog who staggers off vomiting. Your new broker cautiously emerges and begins the trading: you offer your old leather and copper armour for their wood, barrels, cloth, leather and exotic food. They demand two large diamonds be added to your goods. The broker eventually argues them down to the armour and one large diamond, still giving them a substantial profit.
    You idly wonder how many gems have been cut and stockpiled since you last checked. A wander down to the several stockpiles holding them puts the tally at twenty three large ... and five hundred and twenty one regular. You're fairly sure you don't even have that much furniture yet. Wow.

The day comes.
    You firmly order all dwarves to leave their usual posts and congress outside for a celebration. It has taken months to complete: a little cheer is called for. You sit atop the southeastern mound and gaze at the chatting of ecstatic idlers below you. Miners lean toughly against ore they've dug. Busy farmers share stories with the peasants hauling horses away from the doors. A few fishers are nearly asleep by the brook with smiles on their faces. Young children run around the young trees, although Monom stands quietly by herself. You even spot the braindead hunter hiding in the corner with a whole barrel of wine to himself.
    "I'm going to practise my aim ... of this wine ... down my throat," the hunter explains with a cough. You wave then look away, catching a glimpse of a wood burner cuddling a cinnamon cat. The wood burner pats the cat and walks off to admire a statue. The cat shudders and begins licking itself sadly, alone.
    You wish Foureyes could have been here to see this.
    "Attention, please!" Fourguts yells from the overhang. He repeats the cry several more times then threatens to forbid the alcohol stockpile before the crowd hushes in preparation for his speech. "Well, it's taken a while. Forget the sunlight; some of you have walked back and forth over this forest so many times it's a wonder you're not nauseous. If it's not killing you, it's certainly killing the saplings."
    Fourguts pauses for scattered laughter and clapping.
    "That's not a joke, that's an actual problem," Fourguts adds flatly before brightening his tone. "Of course, the waterfall was never completed and we'll be updating our menus to include horse roast fairly soon. So maybe this opening has become more of a matter of principle than anything else. But principles are what make us dwarves. Strength. Resilience. The capacity for fabric-efficient clothing. When we started this garden we suffered a disaster at the hands of goblins, but what did that mean to us? Nothing! Look around you. When we work hard, we can do anything. A garden. A war."
    "Enjoy the greenery while you can - you've all deserved it - because tomorrow things change. We're uprooting wild plants. We're genociding fish. We're genetically modifying the tail out of our pig tail crops. You know one more principle we stand for? Industry. And as of now, this island is our business. If the goblins don't like it or any powers underground want to fight us for control of it then to them I say: we are dwarves. We dare you."
    "Oh, yes, there is one more thing. A small change in policy inspired by the elves," Fourguts added. The crowd fell into a disgruntled hush as Fourguts riffled his notes. "We're burning this forest down and using it to forge iron. Enjoy your meal."
    The raucous applause and roaring cheers that burst out across the garden can be heard for miles around.

If you and your miners take your picks into battle, turn to page 38.
If you produce numerous iron weapon traps to kill the forgotten beast, turn to page 300.
If you install further assorted traps to kill goblins, turn to page 106.
If you add defences to the garden and seal off your fort entirely, turn to page 295.
If there is absolutely no way the Dwarf King needs five hundred gems, turn to page 102.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2010, 09:13:42 am »

And as of now, this island is our business. If the goblins don't like it or any powers underground want to fight us for control of it then to them I say: we are dwarves. We dare you."
Awesome.

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:09 am »

I wanna chant 102 102 102, cause I have gems in place of my eyes and brains, and they're glowing with glee but want to stay free of the king because he isn't trusted in the tower we see.

But we have a debt.  And a danger.  Gobbos will come again and again.  They will impede our trade, but worse, they might give Monom nightmares.  This ain't because the cat wants them dead.  We got a debt to even with that cat before we settle the score we owe that benign fiend.  For Foureyes, may she walk beside us forevermore, the fall of her feet showing imprints in ever so many pools of gobblezoid blood.

106!  106!  106!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LordNuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »

106! 106! 106!
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2010, 05:23:33 pm »

295 Fuck Iron! I want steel!

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2010, 01:07:04 am »

106! 106! 106!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2010, 09:34:40 am »

"Goblin attacks have been escalating. They've had long enough to recover from their last loss. They missed a chance to attack merchants. We've recently been celebrating in the open air," Fourguts lists from his office chair. You listen neutrally while Monom lounges about in the corner with a punnet of fresh strawberries. "It's a reasonable assumption that siege is coming. I need you to do whatever you can to bolster defences: wall off the unused tower, plug that channel down to the brook, set traps around the outdoor farm, that kind of thing."
    "Fuck that, you said this island was ours!" Monom protests, spitting seeds at Fourguts. They bounce of his stomach and fall to the floor. "Just give me some armour and I'll shove their heads up their arses so far I can strangle them with their own shit!"
    "What the civilians need to hear to survive and what they need to do to survive are two entirely separate matters," Fourguts replies bluntly.
    "Oh." Monom slumps slightly and falls quiet. You glance irritably at Fourguts, but agree to the task - Vabok's death still weighs on you heavily.
    You gather a couple of helpers and begin barring every possible entrance to the fortress. The olivine tower is first: you strip away the last of the furniture and construct hard floor over the lower staircase. Only the caged crocodiles remain, a little surprise for anybody curious and stupid enough to pull the nearby levers. You still can't find anyone willing to walk into sight of the macegoblin in the catapult range, so you build a wall over the access stairway instead.
    The garden is more difficult to protect. It would take too long to completely contain it, and the crops won't grow without natural sunlight anyway. You decide the easiest first approach is to dig a dozen emergency tunnels across the area. These should join up underground and twist through a number of traps before reaching your inner fort. The problem, though, is the aquifer. Four of your escape routes hit it immediately and the other eight bump into it long before reaching the fort. You frown and start digging sideways, then downwards, carefully feeling the stone for a safe-
    "A vile force of darkness has arrived!"
    The moment the cry goes up you're running for the surface. You needed more time than this! The fort isn't ready and you don't have a military anymore to save you if somebody screws up. You burst out into the garden and glaring sun. Unconcerned dwarves are farming nearby. A shaded fisher tosses back a raw salmon. A hauler is peacefully collecting wood. Wait. There aren't any gazebos over the river.
    You look up.
    The snap of a whip encourages a pained cry, and the elk bird soars back towards the rest of the goblin army. You take a deep breath. Then scream for everybody to get inside.
    Dwarves are up and running instantly, leaving food and plants behind them. Before they're even inside you give the orders: wall off both garden entrances. Masons hurry off to grab stone. Several dwarves stand just inside the tunnels wearing looks of abject confusion, seeds in hand. You yell at them to leave them in a small stockpile elsewhere. They mutter something about the bags outside being more efficient. You irritably forbid the stockpile and they rush off downstairs.
    "So I can't store all that wood in our stockpile?" the hauler asks, hovering at the tunnel.
    "Hey! FYI," a fish cleaner calls from the next corridor. "Can't clean the fish now it's inaccessible."
    "GUYS I can't believe I'm not allowed to store my 'item' in this large downstairs 'stockpile' since my friend told me it was currently 'inaccessible'!"
    "SHUT - the FUCK - UP, RETARDS!" Monom screeches, sticking her head out of a weapon stockpile. "HE DOESN'T GIVE TWO SHITS about your pathing woes and slash or erectile dysfunctions!"
    The dwarves quieten down slightly after that. You thank Monom before pacing to the main entrance - although sturdily sealed, an engineer and apparently a magician installed a peephole that allows you survey the entire mountainside from safety. You find Fourguts already peering nervously outside.
    "Stone is dust to time but we goblins outlive the gods." You jump and nearly reach for your pick before realising the whispering's source: a caged goblin you'd all but forgotten about, dumped somewhere within the empties nearby. "The shining tower will draw the suffering of our millions and the blood will sate the mouths of the earth and the deep flame and you will perish for your torture why do you torture us this island was ours then we dug too deep and it saw us our potential our growth our death our suffering so you come you kill die you come you kill you die YOU COME YOU KILL YOU DIE let it out let it end please let it end please."
    "Do you want the bad news?" Fourguts asks. You wait for a moment, but there is no more. You nod. "Ninja cat is outside."
    You shove Fourguts aside and strain your eye against the peephole. Sure enough, the familiar cinnamon cat is curled up plaintively on the other side of the locked door and solid wall. A large squad of goblins with silver swords and iron armour march towards the entrance. The cat slowly stretches, then its hair stands on end. The goblins jeer and charge towards the trapped pathway.
    At the last moment, the lasher leading them orders a halt. She glances between the cat and the pathway suspiciously. Then she shakes her head and the squad retreat westwards. A chill runs up your spine as you realise that goblins may actually be learning. You look away and relate to Fourguts what you saw. He ponders this for a moment, then puts on a bland smile.
    "Our larder is significant and our internal production is adequate. If anybody asks, I call victory."

If you celebrate by executing the goblin prisoner, turn to page 234.
If you celebrate by building grand tombs for your dead, turn to page 96.
If you celebrate by glorifying your walls with engravings of your victory, turn to page 185.
If you 'celebrate' by hosting a 'game' of hide and seek 'the bituminous coal', turn to page 259.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2010, 10:06:59 am »

234 would be good, but then again, he might give some info later.

So 96, becuase the dead dwarfs died brave.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:34:07 am by Coronel_Niel »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12