Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Singularity - Post-apocalyptic RTD - Turn 3  (Read 4652 times)

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Singularity - Post-apocalyptic RTD - Turn 3
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:17 am »

Singularity
The singularity has come and gone. Humanity — what's left of it — has been gathered into a single megacity, a construction referred to only as "The Dome". The planet's surface, ravaged by nuclear and chemical warfare, is completely uninhabitable. Chemical sterilization ensures that this will be the last generation of humans as we know them. These broken remnants of the human race are content to die.
There is no hope, only despair.

Post-apocalyptic RTD, anyone? Standard ruleset.

Basic setting: You and a group of <x> others have banded together. You all may have different motives but share a similar goal. Humanity cannot perish by its own creation's hand.

The eponymous technological singularity was reached 10 years before the beginning of this RTD (~2040 A.D.). Depending on your backstory, you may or may not have had something to do with its development. In 10 years, humanity was all but wiped out. What few survived were collected into a single structure and monitored. While the seed AI advanced exponentially for the first 8 years of its existence, its development ceased thereafter. It divided the remaining humans and plunged them into scenarios designed to test and learn from them.

Character sheet:

Name:
Personality:

Personality will pertain to how I'll write your character's dialogue and his/her general attitude toward the others. It's mostly just flavor — it might have more effects later on in the game, though. Things like narcissistic, optimistic, sarcastic, care-free, arrogant, etc.

There's no upper limit on the number of people allowed — people can drop-in or drop-out as they please. Sign-ups temporarily closed!
[Sign-ups]
Spoiler: Sargoth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nimitz (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sam (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kenton (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Batista (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:49:03 am by Nolor »

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity - Post-apocalyptic RTD [Sign-ups]
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:17:36 am »

I'm in.

Name: Sargoth
Backstory: The son of a businessman and a political housewife,He has found himself mostly interested in computers.
Personality: Patient and calm, to a point. When  made sufficiently angry, he wants to rip the eyeballs out of his enemies.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Nimitz

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Close
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:29:49 am »

A dark take on a technological singularity...very interesting. Count me in. :)

Name: Nimitz
Backstory: His father was a high ranking military officer, while his mother was a neurosurgeon. As Nimitz grew older, he became fascinated with cybernetic enhancements. Now he has just become a cyberneticist, and is looking forward to augmenting himself and others...those that deserve it, of course.
Personality: Friendly and erudite, but also shy and a bit absent-minded.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:32:26 am by Nimitz »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:40:22 am »

Count me in before it's too late!

Name: Tarran
Backstory: He began his military career as a simple sniper, after getting several important kills he was promoted to lieutenant. Then, in the war, he shot and killed three high ranking enemy generals, promoting him to major. He also killed a commando in melee after his position was compromised, though he suffered nearly fatal wounds.
Personality: hotheaded, doesn't regret killing enemies, friendly when not busy killing someone.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:43:57 am »

Turn coming soon.

Still accepting sign-ups.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:02:09 am by Nolor »

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity - Post-apocalyptic RTD - Turn 0 [Sign-ups]
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:02:26 am »

Turn 0.
Must be morning. That aggravating klaxon sounds again and almost involuntarily you bring yourself to your feet. Wonder what that bastard AI has in store for you today.

Huge steel bulkheads open into a vast metallic box. From end to end, it's at least two kilometers. A group of twelve ragged men and women empty into the middle, dehydrated and famished. Following an electronic beep, a perfectly human voice floods the room:

"There are six rations of food at side A and six rations of water at side B. Make your choice."

Most members of the group simply looked on, completely apathetic. This activity was not new to them. Two men sat down, resting against the metal wall. They've either given up or collapsed from hunger. Some people were already heading toward either side, walking slowly to conserve energy. Each footstep echoed throughout the entire box. The unmelodious drum was upsetting to some.

More upsetting to others, however, was the vocal silence. Not a word was uttered.

As the group dispersed, Sargoth, Nimitz, and Tarran shared a knowing glance — perhaps they have a plan?
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Talking, moving short distances, and looking at things are all free actions. Italicize free actions, like this:
Examine the metal box we're trapped in.
Free actions are not rolled for, but they will have effects.

Now then, make your actions.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:03:30 am »

This sounds interesting, if you are still accepting sign-ups, i'm in

Name: Sam Brown
Backstory: Sam is a recently graduated chemical engineering student, he/she is also a long term gamer and nerd.
Personality: Curious, Compassionate and Helpful, GENERALLY

I deliberately left gender unkown, because while i am a guy, every1 else here seems to be as well, so GM, i want u to randomly, with a half n half chance determine sam's gender
I hope this is ok.
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:47:00 am »

Name: Kenton
Backstory: A gamer who was extremely interested in programming, and AIs in particular. He was too young to have helped develop the singularity AI, but he rather arrogantly believes he could have made a better one. An AI thatwouldn't destroy humanity.
Personality: Quiet and calm, tries to avoid conflict.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nimitz

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Close
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:47:26 am »

Fantastic. What does that damned machine want now? Well, unlike these other people, I don't feel like dying here. I feel like I should say something, but seeing all these strangers around me is rather unnerving. I need to eat something...something, before I collapse. I'll try to take one food and water ration for myself. I hope nobody tries to kill me while I do so.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:29:08 am »

I speak to the others, "How long has this been happening? What's going on?"

I walk with the others towards the food, and eat and more importantly, drink.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Batista

• Bay Watcher
  • On the Devil's Dance Floor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:10 pm »

IN

Name: Batista
Backstory: He was too young to remember how, but he knows he got separated from his parents, they were genetic cientists, they were smart enough to predict that the Dome would turn out the way it did, they built their on shelter and started working on a cure. He want's to find them.
Personality: Chaotic Good. Psycopath. His quest to find his parents is his only obsession, not sociable, but will ally himself with someone if he thinks he can profit from the friendship. Will do whatever it takes to find it. Despite his young age, he has taken several lives and doesn't care about it. Holds a great resentment towards the AI.

Eat. Drink.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:30:01 pm by Batista »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:04 pm »

"What now?"

Go to door A and eat a ration. Go to door B and drink a ration.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 05:03:53 pm »

Spoiler: actions/rolls (click to show/hide)

Turn 1

Nimitz breaks off into a jog, heading toward Side A. He's well-rested and his hunger doesn't show. He quickly becomes the center of attention and some of the more lively survivors perceive this as a challenge. Two men begin to sprint for the food but collapse after less than 100 meters, their bodies giving out. Nimitz passes them and finds himself at the food in no time at all. Six metallic pedestals are arranged in a line, and atop each a single tablet sits. He reaches out carefully, grabbing one and placing it into a pocket.

Sargoth notes Nimitz' enthusiasm and follows suit, headed in the opposite direction. The stragglers who set off toward Side B look noticeably weaker, some barely managing to stand. He has no trouble making his way through the crowd and is among the first to arrive. Mirroring the setup of Side A, six pedestals are situated in a line. A small capsule, filled with some sort of gel, is seated atop them. Sargoth grabs one, stowing it away cautiously.

Meanwhile, Tarran's gruff demeanor seems to be a facade. He sets off toward Side A, but lacks the energy the others in the group are filled with. By the time he reaches his destination, every pill is already claimed. He walks over to Nimitz, who's leaning against the solid steel wall, recuperating.

"Nimitz, didn't you grab one for me?"
"Sorry, but you know I can't do that. If the others were to see me, or even notice one's missing, they'd gang up on me without a doubt."
"What, can't handle some starving scumbags by yourself?"
"Not six of them, no."

With an aggravated sigh, Tarran scans around and notes a particularly weak-looking fellow stash a ration in his jumpsuit. He'd probably be the easiest to overpower.

Meanwhile at Side B, Sargoth is cornered by a group of two men, slightly larger than him. Their eyes are threatening; even without words, he knows exactly what they want. They've already collected their rations, but evidently, they want more.

Batista, Kenton, and Brown are still at the center.
"Looks like seven went for food and five went for water," Brown mutters.
Batista rolls his eyes. "Looks like you can count."
Ignoring the others, Kenton speaks up. "Seems Tarran was a bit slow this time. I bet he can handle himself, though. What should we do?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:52:00 pm by Nolor »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity - Post-apocalyptic RTD - Turn 1
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »

Look at the two guys surrounding Sargoth. And threaten them.

"Now now boys, I don't want to have to send you off with a full mouth of broken teeth. Step away from the man. Or I'll give you the most painful meal you've ever had."

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity - Post-apocalyptic RTD - Turn 1
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:35 pm »

Side A and Side B are ~2kilometers apart, so travelling there is not a free action. The metal box is huge. If you want, you can revise your action; otherwise I'll have you sprint to the other side and talk to them.

I've added a locations section to the previous turn, hopefully to clarify things a bit.
Pages: [1] 2 3