Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Searchin'  (Read 13181 times)

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Dey took 'er jerbs!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:05 am »

You DO know that you're supposed to buy mechs on high tech planets and sell them on low tech planets, right?

Actually, it's far easier to make profit being a mech trader than a mech warrior this way. You can easily buy a heavy for 8 million and sell it for 9.5m on a different planet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 10:33:07 am »

You DO know that you're supposed to buy mechs on high tech planets and sell them on low tech planets, right?

Actually, it's far easier to make profit being a mech trader than a mech warrior this way. You can easily buy a heavy for 8 million and sell it for 9.5m on a different planet.
Only problem with that is that you're making two trips(to hi-tech to buy, to low-tech to sell), which eats time, and the game does have a time limit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 05:38:45 pm »

it doesn't help that I don't know which planets are which (although it's easy to guess from the descriptions).

Oh, update tonight, probably.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 02:57:02 am »

Only problem with that is that you're making two trips(to hi-tech to buy, to low-tech to sell), which eats time, and the game does have a time limit.

Fact is, EVERYTHING takes time in this game. missions take time. Trading mechs takes time. Advancing the story takes time.

In the beginning, missions take like 3 months and give you like 150k. Once you have a squad of heavies, missions can take 3 months and give you 5,500k, easily. So, the question is how to build up a squad of heavies? The answer is to play through the storyline, while trading mechs as you go along.

SPOILERS: (and walkthroughs)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior_I
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior_(1989_Video_Game_Resource)

FYI, I partially wrote and editted those guides. :) (tooting my own horn)

Personally I suggest you get on with the storyline instead of going on all these missions. It's best to leave the actual fighting until after
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Time is really tight in this game and I suspect that you're playing blind and thus not going to make the deadline on this playthrough... good luck anyway!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:08:12 am by jasonred79 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 01:39:01 pm »

I refuse to use guides! But I am pretty blind on the story. The best we can do is look "...clear out corewards of the combine, where it meets Steiner." for pirates.

In other words, along the southern bit of the Kurita (AKA the Draconis Combine)-Steiner border. We might also look for the Gray Death, last pointed to in Steiner territory somewhere (though that was a while ago). If I missed something important in the news say so, I think I at least posted it all though.

Anyway, although Kurita is in "Negative" standing with us, I guess we ought to go snooping around. It looks like the most likely planets are Dieron

and Kessel

What with Kessel's being not as coreward as well as "Dangerous" (granted, that smells of story), I head to Dieron first.

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the news and nothing at the bar.

While we're here, I decide to take up a contract to smoother over our relations with Kurita. Just a really easy one.

Of course, out of the blue, the game decides our "Fuel dump defense" is actually a "Planetary Assault". WTF?

There's still just one light mech though.

Now, apparently that one light mech was a pretty good shot, because he did slightly more damage to T.D.'s mech than the contract was worth. That's not a problem though, we achieved our goal of making Kurita not be ticked at us.

Now, if we're pursuing the story, you'll probably want to see the news for today, no?

I know for sure how to pursue the first one, but our travel fees would dwarf the reward (although there might be a 100% salvage fight involved since we'd be freelancing). The latter I'm not sure if we even can participate in.

The mechs in the mechyard are overpriced and lousy here. The contracts aren't too great either, but I can do some if you insist.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Searchin'
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »

Kick on out of there, nothing for us.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 01:59:29 pm »

Yeah, might as well move on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »

But where, fellows? To more contracts? With what house? To the sites of the news stories? To Kessel?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 02:48:11 pm »

To the most dangerous part.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 03:04:29 pm »

To Kessel!  Your Destiny Awaits!

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 04:51:52 am »

Don't bother smoothing your relationship with those other houses. Just keep Steiner and Davion happy. It's a waste of time to take missions for the cheapskate houses and it's most rewarding to make Davion CONFIDENT in you ASAP.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 11:01:27 am »

To Kessel!  Your Destiny Awaits!
I've got a ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. It's a pile of junk, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »

Hey, the Wayland Smith in Luthien mission sounds unfamiliar to me. Could you make a backup copy and check it out? Or just possibly send me the savegame file so I can check it out myself?

Edit: NVM, I found it and realised: you can't do the Wayland Smith mission.

Also, here's a hint, storylinewise: You're NOT looking for the Gray Death Legion or Helmar Valasek. The game said there's one man who will know for sure...

Oh dear. I just noticed your in game calender says May 3026. You've spent over 2 years accomplishing practically nothing at all... which is fine if you're just intending to have fun and muck around in the game, BUT it's bad because I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to win the game within the 5 year time limit.

ALSO, the reason you're lost in the game is because, if you had been reading the news net in May 3024, they would have mentioned that there was a 200,000k bounty on Grig Griez, info on his last location given out at planet XXX(galedon v in my game). If you had then gone to planet XXX and enquired at the government thingy, they would have told you that Grig was last seen nearby Land's End.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:39:35 pm by jasonred79 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »

I must have failed to catch that one. But, there's still plenty of fun to be had screwing off. By the way, sparseness of updates is due to finals week.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:19 pm »

Messing around is more fun than playing the game to win! Actually, MUCH more fun, since the timetable required to win the game is pretty strict, doesn't give you much leeway to fool around actually... the only flaw is you won't be able to face the killer final mission facing the Dark Wing... never mind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4