Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: [Forum Game] Help the Dwarfs to the Booze Stockpile.  (Read 9746 times)

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Forum Game] Help the Dwarfs to the Booze Stockpile.
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:16 am »

Keep it up guys I like the solutions posted so far.

Current forbidden tags: [AQUATIC][AMPHIBIOUS][NO_EAT][NO_DRINK]
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:21 am »

Dig 10 rows of channels on top of the lake. Then build pumps all along the length of the channels, pumping out into new channels that lead to a cavern you dug out earlier. (There should be around 100 pumps AT LEAST) Now hook them all up to water wheels, and wait until they pump all the water out, or get close. Now get to a magma pipe and pump a small bit to where entrance of giant cave is to seal it off. Then wait for rest of water to evaporate and ENJOY THE BOOZE

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2010, 12:55:50 pm »

Dwarf 1 = miner
Dwarf 2 = architect
Dwarf 3 = mason
Dwarf 4 = mechanic
Dwarf 5 = carpenter

Spoiler: The Plan (click to show/hide)

Make fuckton of mechanisms, corkscrews, blocks, pipe sections. Build waterwheel dynamo and pump stack. Suspend slab of (natural) rock over floor over breach by support.

Connect support to lever, pull lever, channel hole in roof of boozeroom, turn on pump stack.

Sorry about the lack of a puzzle from me. I was reading RedChocobo's Pokemon Emerald LP.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:53:54 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »

Barrels won't float in DF. Unless you can prove otherwise.
It hardens the magma moat, obviously.

Humann, yours won't work because you need a carpenter for the waterwheels and axles and an architect for the pumps.

Solution:
Mod dwarves to [SPEED: 0]
Have the dwarves drink water (drink zone)
Make mechanisms
Dig a huge, multi level reservoir a few levels under the lake, with a 10 wide tunnel that drains off map, with floodgates at the entrance hooked up to a lever
Pierce the lake with upward shafts in several places: One by the breach, a few near the edge and about 10 in the middle. All shafts lead to the reservoir, and have a door on   
    an access tunnel so that the miner can get out without drowning.
The lake drains into said shafts, off map, and never refills because it's too busy draining (FPS will be very low)
Build stairs downwards into now mostly drained breach
Wall it off
Dig a tunnel that drains off map and drain the booze stockpile (again, door and task mining jobs to prevent drowning)
Close the floodgates and allow the lake to refill
Drink booze

Dwarves:
MinerX2
Mason
Mechanic
Engraver
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2010, 10:56:04 pm »

Entry Judging
Qwerty: +3 Aquatic Workforce +3 Magma Drain +3 Complex Solution -2 Noble Jailed
Humaan: +3 Aquatic Workforce +3 Magma Pumps; -2 No Blacksmith
BigB0y2013: +3 Flooded Cavern, +3 Magma Pumps
Urist: +3 Massive Water Pump; +2 Use of DF Physics (Cavein);
Rotten: +3 Uber Workforce; +3 Draining Lake; -3 Death of FPS
Wimdit: *Thwap* Feel the +wooden paddle+

Honestly guys my favorite is Qwerty's, with the water draining into the magma sea. You can't beat that.
But you all came very, very close. Its was really hard to choose.

I'm surprised no one thought about simply moving the barrels to a new stockpile
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:18:20 pm by Sarvesh Mossbeard »
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2010, 11:13:05 pm »

No standing by for me.

1: Mod water to have a ludicrously low boiling point.
2: Wait for it all to disappear.
3: Retrieve booze and celebrate. Optionally, raise the boiling point of water again.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2010, 01:13:35 am »

Oh damn, I had one that if it was still going I would have submitted...

Controlled cave in between farm and stockpile, and a Water Pump pumping all the water in the Stockpile into a Quantum Tile of water...

Oh well... Mainly posting so I can watch...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2010, 11:39:21 am »

It seems Qwerty isn't posting a riddle - anyone wanna do it?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2010, 01:47:09 pm »

Code: [Select]
###D###
#+++++#
#+^^^+#
D+^B^+D
#+^^^+#
#+++++#
###D###

The ^ are pressure plates that open hatches above that hold back a 9x9x8 room of magma. The B is a quantum stockkpile of 10 years' worth of booze.

No special limitations, just get the booze out intact.
Eh?
Eh!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »

1. flood magma room with water.
2. dig out obsidian and repeat until room is empty.
3. walk in and claim the booze!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:46:00 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2010, 02:00:32 pm »

Too easy, just deconstruct the plates. Or pump out the magma.
I'll post one as well. Here's a nice simple riddle, but it should be difficult. Spoilers ahead for DF if you haven't already heard about all that.

Okay, there's a large hollow cube, at the bottom of the map. In that cube, a small room is held up by a column, with the booze inside, a hole at the top, and of course a support. Above the chamber is a fuckton of magma. Within the room, is Hell unleashed, and every demon can fly. Oh also, there's an entrance to hell down there. The large room is set with pressure plates all over the floor that will collapse the booze if triggered. Below the chamber is pressurized magma (from a screw pump), in other words, any collapsing will release the magma, destroying the booze. The only corridor leading to the room is blocked off by a wall, luckily for you, but unfortunately, this has sat there for some time now, and so a bunch of demons have been wandering in.
No modding the demons or dwarves. No deconstructing the screw pumps or pressure plates. Adamantine is available, as is pretty much anything you can think of, except for things that require modding, such as pet demons or other ridiculousness like that. Please note demons are unaffected by extreme cold and heat, so no freezing or burning them.
Have fun!
Edit: Also, could somebody else do the judging for me?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:08:32 pm by CrownofFire »

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2010, 05:51:35 pm »

Well if you could DROWN the demons, turn [temperature] Off. Cave ina block of wall above magma chamber high enough that it crashes down through floor of magma chamber, and the magma floods down into the booze stockpile, drowning the demons. (However NOT burning the booze up) Wait until the magma evaporates down enough, grab the booze and exit quick. Now punch some more holes in to let it start flooding hell, quickly exit the caverns, and cap the top. Now turn [temperature] Back on and you now have caved off demons drowning in magma (However a HELL lot of fps loss...) Enjoy the booze.

(I never had demons, so I have NO clue if they can drown, or even swim for that matter.)

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:56 pm »

Once again you can't modify the init for solutions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »

Dwarves+Adamantine=Death.

Equip military in adamantine. The, have them train for three years. Then, de-consruct the wall. If this fails, save-scum and try again.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2010, 10:03:25 pm »

I think that demons can't drown. Anyway, above the chamber is the sea of magma you get in every embark, so that would take a VERY long time to do. By that time your dwarves would probably die by thirst if you have no water. In addition, sometimes you get a magma pipe, an infinite source of magma, so that could be a problem for that plan. Also, I'm not even sure stuff drains into hell. Haven't tried it myself. Also, when you first open Hell, it can spawn somewhere around 100 demons instantly, and then more wander in from hell. This fortress has presumably been sitting on this for a while, which gives plenty of time for more to show up to the party. There is supposedly an infinite number of demons in the world.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7