Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [5yr Succession] Ogredtazuk, Swamphuts - Histories of Water and Mildew  (Read 1611 times)

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

Prologue

"No. Absolutely not"

"I... beg your pardon?" the guildmaster managed, caught completely off-guard by the refusal.

"I said no. There is absolutely no way in the Hells that you'll get me to sign on to this idea. Not in a dozen ages"

"Do you realise-"

"... that I'm talking to the master of the Colonisation Guild? Yes. I don't care if you were Armok himself. If he came up to me with such an elfheaded idea I'd tell him he could find some other dupe. I'm not doing it. Not in a million years. I'd honestly prefer you just petition the king to toss me in the dungeons. I'm not doing it"

"The region-"

"Is a swamp. No solid ground for miles around. It's not even possible to dig in such an environment, too much water, and there's so much risk of flooding that we'd have to build the settlement on stilts. A treetop village built on bloody stilts! We might as well just live like bloody elves! Oh, no, wait, we would be bloody living like bloody elves!"

"If you'd let me-"

"Finish your sentence? So you could try and dupe me into thinking that this isn't one of the worst ideas the guild has ever tried to foist on us?"

"IF," the guildmaster continued, in a voice loud enough to drown out the guilddwarf's constant objections, "you would let me finish, I could explain to you that this settlement would be not just a, but the gateway to human, dwarven, and dare I say it, even elven trade from the whole of the south. With the way the elves have the western forests sealed tight, anyone who wanted to do trade with the mountainhomes OR the rest of the continent would have to do it through you. The Swamp of Dyes is the perfect place to build this settlement, if not the perfect place to build a settlement. This would secure the trade dominance of the Mountainhomes for centuries and jab the elves right in the eye, and you're the only one we trust to do it"

The guildsdwarf stopped for a moment to consider this.

"I still don't-"

"In five years, your trading post will be the envy of this nation and every nation beyond. We know that you can do it. We have faith in you. Have some faith in us. Spend five years of your life building this outpost for the glory of the Mountainhomes and then, if you really cannot stomach the thought of staying, come home. You'll be a hero and a rich, rich dwarf. Then, the guild will allow you to build the next settlement wherever you wish"

"You - you mean, wherever I wish?"

"You need only point at a map and demand the supplies and the wagon will leave within the week. And if instead you choose to stay at the trading post, Lord Merchant you shall remain, and we'll all grow richer from your efforts"

The guildsdwarf stroked his beard and gave some serious thought to this.

"We'll need wood", he finally decided. "We'll need a hell of a lot of wood..."

Details

World Map

Embark
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarves
Spoiler: Doren Gusilitdun (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ber Onshenkulet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thikut Astniral (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zefon Dodokvabok (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Goden Kekathsazir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meng Inethudar (click to show/hide)

Objective

Taking 5-year-long succession turns, construct a thriving trade outpost on stilts in the Swamp of Dyes. If neccessary, eschew the traditional methods of dwarven construction and build the fortress entirely out of wood and any other available construction materials you can lay your hands on. Build a north-south road to ensure travellers safe passage through the swamp. Prove to the world that dwarves can thrive anywhere - in caves, in forests, in savannahs, in glaciers, in tundras, and yes, even in a swamp. Destroy invaders, forge trade routes, and importantly...

... MOST importantly...

... rip the elves off bigtime.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

Turn List

(Reserved)

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5 year long turns sounds like a long time... do I dare sign up?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hmmmm... first off, what version are you running? My computer has problems displaying .04 the way I want it to.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

It's .03 right now. I'm gonna wait until .04 is ironed out to get it.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Five year turns could get to be a problem for a few reasons, but it sounds like fun. Sign me up!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok then! sign me up... 5 yrs means I have time to finish a megaproject...

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile

Hmm... I guess this will be a megaproject succession fortress :)
Count me in.  :)
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Count me in. I'll take Ber, name "Urist the Red," proficient mechanic/siege engineer. Bring only tower-cap wood for extra fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

Ayeh, I already started, but I'll certainly give you Ber, and train him to be a mechanic.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

To Ustuth Ilromrimtar, Liason to the Trade Council of Shem Lektad, and His Great and Noble Majesty Tosid Almoshgoden, King of Shem Lektad, Liege of the Lands and Lord of the Mountainhomes

Dated 20th Timber, 1051

My noble lords, may the strength of the mountain always be upon you.

The foundation of the trade outpost in the Ogred Atir is proceeding acceptably. Our populace has named the place "Swamphuts", and it is, I suppose, an appropriate enough description. We discovered the swamp is not quite as unsuitable for construction as we thought it would be, and building the huts on stilts proved to be an exceptionally inefficient use of resources, so we have simply been building dwellings at ground level. As this letter is being written we are starting work on the dining hall, and at some point we hope to move our food stores beneath it. The wood we brought with us didn't last long given that we've had to make nigh everything out of it, so we've been supplementing our supplies with wood from the surrounding area, leading to most of the buildings being cobbled together from many different types of wood, which gives many of the buildings a jumbled, far less ordered appearence than I or our carpenters would like, but the woodwork is respectable and the huts protect us from the wind and the elements. Talking of the elements, it was prudent of us to irrigate our dugout and establish a farm quickly, as in the summer months the marshland actually bakes under the harsh sun and very little water can be found, but we have saved a goodly supply of it in a cistern underneath the farm in case of emergencies, and we have linked it up to various ponds so that when the rain comes again we can replenish it.

As the plans for this place suggested we set up a craftsdwarf's workshop to produce some items we could use as tender for barter, although given the scarcity of usable stone, we've had to use wood. Not that the crafts we've produced are not of excellent quality, mind you, but I fear if the elves arrive we shall have little to offer them that won't offend their unneccessarily delicate sensibilities. Yet the elves paradoxically often bring large piles of wood which would be of significant use to us. I must consider what we might offer them without offending them. Worthy of consideration, most certainly.

Stone's Blessings,
Andreus Koganzoz, Lord Merchant of Ogredtazuk

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

To Ustuth Ilromrimtar, Liason to the Trade Council of Shem Lektad, and His Great and Noble Majesty Tosid Almoshgoden, King of Shem Lektad, Liege of the Lands and Lord of the Mountainhomes

Dated 25th Slate, 1052

Most honoured lords of Stone and Hearth,

Our patrol arrived in the Swamp of Dyes roughly three days ago, intending to stop at our nation's newly founded trading outpost of Ogredtazuk to make a quick stopover to restock our supplies and recuperate from a recent run-in with a sasquatch, but upon approaching the settlement it became clear that all was not well. The place was nearly silent, and no smoke from chimneys or cooking fires could be seen. One of our scouts immediately took the opportunity to take a closer look, and came back reporting that the settlement was occupied only by a squad of goblins and the rotting, sun-baked corpses of their victims. It appears the attack was sudden, and by all accounts, a massacre - repeated searches of the surrounding area revealed no trace of any survivors, but the scout reports that it appears that most of the settlement's populace took up arms in a valiant final stand. The goblins have not despoiled the settlement itself, as far as we can tell. They seem to be poking about a new structure that was not there during the caravan's visit, something that apparently involves a windmill. We fear they may have some ulterior motive for keeping the structures intact.

We will remain in the area and await further orders.

Stone's Blessings,
Commander (the signature is smudged beyond recognition)

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile

Sounds interesting so far  :)

This fortress might be known for it's gravefields? :D
Lets forbid traps!

Also... Maybe update the Turn List? :D
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

Well currently, the fortress was utterly raped by goblins, and I'm trying to work out what to do next - reclaim the fortress, pass it on to the next guy in the list and let him do it or something else.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

FUCK IT! RECLAIM TIME! :D

Reclaim Screen
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarves
Spoiler: Zulban Dorenstakud (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dakost Ballorbam (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meng Onamonul (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ezum Identhabost (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Avuz Dibeshuzol (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zuglar Cattenudil (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Momuz Idenost (click to show/hide)

His Great and Noble Majesty Tosid Almoshgoden, King of Shem Lektad, Liege of the Lands and Lord of the Mountainhomes

Dated 4th Granite, 1053

My liege,

We have arrived in Ogredtazuk. Although none are left alive here, the settlement itself is intact, and with proper defence, it should stand against future attacks.

Stone's Blessings,
Commander Zuglar Cattenudil
Pages: [1] 2