Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset  (Read 67100 times)

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2010, 10:38:43 pm »

Right, so I've uploaded what I've got so far for definition files: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cell_definition_files

Let's use the discussion page to figure out what needs to go in there :)
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:37 am »

Not sure if you've posted already and I missed it, but if you give me the github url I'd be happy to manage an arch linux package for it in the arch-games repo, when I have some more time.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010, 03:16:17 pm »

Thanks Daenyth, that would be awesome. I'm an archlinux fan myself, and plan to install it on my laptop again soon. I'll need it for testing the Obsidian Linux build.

I'll let you know when it is up on github.
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Peteł

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

(...)
It might not understand all of the properties of a cell/object (Toady might have introduced new building types, or constructions) but it would be able to load it and maybe display a ? mark or something, instead of crashing or throwing a tantrum. And it can write the cells back out after it's work is done, passing through anything it doesn't understand just in case the next tool or a future version of itself will.
(...)
if (errorsOccurred == true)
throw new Tantrum("!()/(/$§/!*");

Time to subclass "Exception" in every programming language known to man..

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2010, 02:09:09 pm »

(...)
It might not understand all of the properties of a cell/object (Toady might have introduced new building types, or constructions) but it would be able to load it and maybe display a ? mark or something, instead of crashing or throwing a tantrum. And it can write the cells back out after it's work is done, passing through anything it doesn't understand just in case the next tool or a future version of itself will.
(...)
if (errorsOccurred == true)
throw new Tantrum("!()/(/$§/!*");

Time to subclass "Exception" in every programming language known to man..
I'm SO renaming the DFError.h header of DFHack to DFTantrum.h :P

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 02:58:29 pm »

I've been doing that for a while now :)

Most of my personal projects have an exception called Vloermoer, which is a colloquial Afrikaans word for tantrum that is fun to say. It literally means to beat up the floor. I usually throw that one whenever there is an error caused by the user doing something stupid.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 04:32:09 pm »

Progress Report

I've gotten the Cell engine (the part of Obsidian that loads, saves and manipulates the data from DF) basically working. I can now load and save XML files that uses a version-independent format to store fortress data. This will mean you can upload a compressed Obsidian save file with your favorite mega project, and then anyone on any platform can download and view/render it using almost any version of Obsidian*. You no longer need to have to get the exact version of DF, load up the fortress and then attach to it with a visualizer that supports that specific version of DF.

It still needs to be polished a bit before I can release, but it works!

After polishing I'll start on the Visual Fortress geometry module. It will use VF's geometry generator as-is to construct the renderable geometry. Once that module is done I'll try and release a stable version of Obsidian so that others can write exporter modules for offline rendering (using 3DSMax or Povray or Blender or what have you).

* Big version differences in the Cell engine will need to use XSLT stylesheets to internally upgrade/downgrade the format, but that should happen automagically behind the scenes.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:09 am »

I like how the cell engine works :)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:45 pm »

dunno if this has been addressed already and I've not seen it, but will Obsidian render the buildings etc. that were missing from VF? Such as workshops, forges, doors...
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »

Eventually, the answer is yes. It just depends on when I actually have the time to get models assembled for them all. s far as I'm aware, it will render pretty much everything once we have the models for it. Doors, beds, chests, tables etc are going to be the first priority model-wise, but I think eventually we'll have every part of the fort rendering.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 03:31:20 pm »

I'll be happy enough to have just natural and b-C constructions, really. The farther the project goes past that, though, the awesomer.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »

Unlike VF and other previous visualizers, I'm not going to spend any dev time in making my own rendering system etc.
I'm using an off-the-shelf scene manager and rendering engine called OpenSceneGraph instead.

So, if OpenSceneGraph can render it, you will see it in Obsidian. OSG comes with a nice scene composer called OSGEdit, so anyone that wants to help with models, textures, shaders etc. can use that composer.

On other news - the save/load part of the Cell engine had a setback, but I'm on top of it again. I tried to write out one of my megaprojects from 40d#, 6x6 embark with 50 z-levels. The XML save file came out at just under 200MB. Erm. Even compressing it only brought it down to 80MB.

I had to go back to the drawing board and rethink things a bit...

This weekend I re-wrote the save/load code to use cons hashing. This should reduce memory and file size by a factor of probably around 100, once I beat the last bugs into submission.

So, yeah, there is definitely progress :)

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 11:21:00 pm »

I am extremely excited for this.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 11:54:04 pm »

*standing over an abandoned Visual Fortress on the side of the street*
We can rebuild it.  We have the technology.
*Insert million dollar man theme here with images from a finished Obsidian*

*insert suggestion for the optional rendering of bloodspatter here*

It would be nice to see fortresses in 3D again.  I admit I usually enjoy isometric more, but there's just some things isometric cannot convey quite like real 3D.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:55:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BEvilR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:19 am »

SO EXCITED!

Don't get me wrong I love my stonesense, but sometimes I just want the big picture, and I assume with the Lua scripting your proposing, this thing will be able to do nearly anything, GMod Style.
 can spel reel gud
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15