Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unable to play, lack of response from keyboard input?  (Read 3373 times)

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to play, lack of response from keyboard input?
« on: May 23, 2010, 01:27:58 am »

Hi, I'm new, so I assume that this is a really simple problem I've encountered. When I run any version of DF (in any game type), the only keys that respond are the command keys like "esc", "enter", etc. and the numeric keys. I'm on a laptop, and I can't change any of my key settings (because that would require being able to hit "k", which the game doesn't respond to). I'm not sure if it's something I need to alter in the data files, or what. I don't have capslock or numlock on or anything, but I'm sure there's probably a simple solution I'm missing. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks!
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to play, lack of response from keyboard input?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:17:33 am »

For some reason, the 2010 versions of DF don't take focus when you start them (at least for me).

Try pressing alt-tab and selecting the game, that should fix it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 02:22:47 am »

Well it's not the focus, I can still create worlds and move around in the map, I just can't actually embark on a journey (despite where or  how many times I press the 'e' key). I tried your method though, but I don't think it changed anything.

Thanks though.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:13:46 am »

Hmm... well next time I will have to read the whole post before I reply  :-X

You can change your keybindings in the interface.txt file in the same folder as your init file. There is a little more info here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Key_bindings but I don't know if any of it applies to you (also it's for 40d so maybe outdated somewhat).

When you say all versions don't work, did you try older versions such as .40d and 2d version (v0.23.130.23a)?

I also remember reading somewhere (but I can't find it now, sorry) that someone was having problems of some sort with a non-english keyboard. Are you using a standard english keyboard on your laptop?

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:57:11 am »

I haven't actually tried anything older than the .40d, and as far as I know, my keyboard is standard, although I have Chinese and Russian input methods installed on it. That might be it, but I also have tried changing the language input methods (via keyboard shortcuts) in-game, with no effect, so I'm not sure if that's the problem, or...

Or I guess DF just hates me and doesn't want me to play.  :D
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:18:13 am »

Capslock?

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:01:42 am »

Not capslock
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »

I'm having a similar problem.
the enter key is unresponsive while I am ingame. I can scroll through the menu options but when I try to select one with enter it does nothing
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:05 pm »

are you using a stander U.S. keyboard?  you would be surprised on what singles some foreign keyboards send, you could also try re-installing the driver for the keyboard by removing it from your device manager or under keyboard in control panel.  also linux, windows, or mac?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 03:14:43 pm »

sorry I probably should have mentioned I'm on a dell laptop. I would assume that it is a standard keyboard.
I changed two of the key settings in the interface file but they were the scroll settings.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »

Heck, you don't need foreign characters on your keyboard to screw things up.  I just have a MacBook with the keyboard set to Dvorak.

I have changed the keybindings for everything, but there are a few keys that don't respond at all either.

And no amount of key binding changes seems to let me use Delete/backspace.  Just get a little triangle thing.  That is the weird one, because it worked in 40d.

My advice, plug a USB keyboard into your laptop and see if that makes a difference.  It works for me (but is too much hassle to use all the time.)

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 04:15:29 pm »

i tryed plugging in a USB keyboard just now and unfoutunatly it had no effect.
the same keys that didn't work on the laptop keyboard didn't work on the USB keyboard.
GENERATION 26:

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 04:22:10 pm »

replace your interface.txt

If you manualy edited it, it wont work.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »

i tryed plugging in a USB keyboard just now and unfoutunatly it had no effect.
the same keys that didn't work on the laptop keyboard didn't work on the USB keyboard.

hmnn what about your windows settings? is it set to a standard keyboard setting(mapping), please keep in mind most laptops have custom keyboard settings(and mappings) for function keys (IE on my laptop function + f4 increase sound) (come to think of it check for a sticky function key too) assuming the usb keyboard came with its own driver that should not matter all that much

have you tried virtual keyboard on non full screen mode?

(have you tried non full screen mode period?  which maybe easier for the focus thing as well
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 04:51:24 pm »

I'm not sure how standard it is but I have tried pressing the function key while pushing enter and it still doesn't work in game. the usb keyboard worked perfectly fine outside of DF
I have not tried a virual keyboard, I'll have to give it a try later on.
I always play in windowed mode, it's just more comfortable for me.
also something to keep in mind, I've been using this same laptop since the 2D versions and never had this problem before now.
GENERATION 26:
Pages: [1] 2