Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New migrants  (Read 1869 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
New migrants
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:13 am »

Technically all the migrants are dwarves and animals(?). I think that there should be other migrants who come to your fortress depending on how you have built it. Elves would come as citizens if you have gardens and stuff. Humans will arrive if you have houses on top of the ground. There could even be goblins who arrive. Also there might be migrants who arrive just for no reason. perhaps they are outlaws or something. Normally every time someone arrives you should be able to reject or except them, this might determine how/what/how much migrants will come later.

here are some things that can migrate to your fortress:
Dwarfs. they are the regular things that we already have. you know what they want. They bring what they bring.
Elves. They will come if you have a lot of buildings and stuff made of wood and if you are near a water source. Elven peasants will walk around and not work but gather/plant all sorts of plants/trees. They will bring all sorts of plants with them, mostly trees and stuff that are VERY RARE.
Humans. Humans are strong and will enjoy the booze but they don't need booze to work. they will come if you have above ground buildings. They will most often bring children, money, food(A LOT) and tents with them. They will come if you have an above ground farm.  they will usually come if you have some sort of economy. They will bring warriors with them. Usually these warriors are archers or swordsmen. They have a habit of keeping slaves and servants.
Gnomes. Oohh! Yes I do think that Gnomes are mistreated. They will come if you have the same things that dwarfs want except they will come rarely. They will come a bit more if you have a mechanics workshop and if you have a fishing place. They will also come if you have struck some rare mineral like adamantine. They are very agile. They will bring tools and equipment with them and they will most probably bring some pets, mostly birds.
Goblins. Well actually goblins will come if you have some slaves. They will also want LOTS of booze! Goblins will migrate because they think you are evil or because they are outlaws from their own country, so meeting some goblin migrants isn't so weird. They will usually bring hunters. They may also come if you have tamed a megabeast or a forgotten beast. They will prefer to fish and they will hunt in their spare time meaning that they can even leave the map.
Giants. Technically they are like big humans. They will also bring children and perhaps some slaves/servants but they will also bring TONS of heard animals like sheep and cows and donkeys and horses. They will come if you have either LARGE caves in the mountain or if you have big buildings above ground.
Any other ideas?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:22:59 am by antymattar »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: New migrants
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:21:14 am »

I can just imagine the bugs...

[Name], Bronze Colossus has migrated to your fortress!

New militia commander, yay!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 04:34:12 am »

better would be if it wasn't a bug. that you could recruit bronze colossi and dragons and such, but you'd need to have one DAMN awesome fort. they might even stage a coup once in a while, causing a number of citizens to revolt. and maybe, low ceilings would make certain sizes of creature unhappy. not incapable of going there, just.. not happy to. and you DON'T want your armored, armed legendary dragon to go on a tantrum.

also, huge bedrooms and dining rooms, including the ability to make oversized furniture. since when to dragons sleep in a 3x1 square bedro hoard?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:58:38 am »

ooh. Great ideas. I will start writing all the stuf down.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:36 pm »

The forgotten slug beast has been elected mayor!

A mandate on salt has been made...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »

Hmm... I can immagine a Fluffy Warmbler become king of a Dwarven Civ.. and then being struck down because a cat was hunting for vermin..

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:02:49 pm »

What would be the worst is if the forgotton beast mayor went berserk... After you gave him full adamantine armor  :o

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:17:05 pm »

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:58:28 pm »

You know something like that just happened in my fortress.. the guy that grabbed the exceptional and superior adamatine armor went into a fey mood and I couldn't procure a shell in time.

It did not end as well as it could have!  I didn't fully think out the consequences of modding my cats for shells, and then later destroying all cats by making them aquatic...
igless

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:33:18 am »

Can you stop the fluffy wambler stuff! Only races of humanoids and some other SMALL things. And noone mentioned gnomes migrating!

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

the best way to avoid odd immigrants would be some kind of grouping system, where a race just won't deal with people from a group except for really odd situations. kobolds and gobbos would be one group, dragons would be a group of their own, humans elves and dwarves would form a group... bleh. not sure how to explain it further. i hope one of you gets it and adds some sanity to this one :)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:17 am »

What is it with you thinking that non humanoid creatures would migrate?

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 10:39:17 am »

What is it with you thinking that non humanoid creatures would migrate?

Because it would end up being an option in the raws.

Also because having a militia entirely composed of megabeasts would be awesome.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:50:59 am »

!?

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 05:40:58 am »

i think it would unbalance the game, personally.

Having an army of dragons would wipe out any gobbo seige that comes for you. There'd be no danger anymore.

Where's the fun in that?!
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.
Pages: [1] 2