Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Farming  (Read 535 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Animal Farming
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

I've been trying to manage my animal population and I was wondering what is the best method for farming animals? I was thinking of farming cows but I do believe that Elephants are more dwarven. I have one full grown and 3 calves. How could I go about doing this?
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Farming
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:05:39 am »

let the calves grow up, and attempt to get as many elephants as possible from wherever you got yours. I'd let them roam around or place them in a pit with a single pet-forbidden door, then occasionally butcher one.
Kill as many males as possible, flat-out exterminate the least fit males except one exceptionally good one, and split the females however you want. Only leave the biggest, strongest and fattest to breed, they'll produce the most meat, be the most valuable in emergencies, (random pets in the right place at the right time can be very valuable in a fight) and their traits will be passed to their offspring. creatures that don't mention size, strength or weight are average in those categories. I always lock the offspring in cages to keep them out of the way as there could be dozens of new ones every year. After they're adults, or before caging, especially for males to keep the bad ones from contaminating your gene pool, look through all of them and kill the unworthy, then start over.

Since elephants are slow to grow, produce few offspring, and pretty massive already, you can safely let average and above reproduce, that way you've got a decent group to choose from.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Farming
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:30:05 am »

What Eric said, but keep one or two spare males, just in case something happens to your breeding male, and keep them caged so they can't spread their inferior genes around.