Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Confessions  (Read 20208 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:25 am »

WOO! PRONUNCIATION DISCUSSION!

Seriously, though, I used to mispronounce things all the time 'cause I'd read them and gotten their meanings through context, but had never heard them spoken. My main pet peeve is spelling and grammar.

Yes, I'm going through this post to make sure there are no errors.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2010, 04:59:51 am »

I downloaded the new version of DF as soon as I got home with my new computer, but I still haven't played it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2010, 11:04:00 am »

Seriously, though, I used to mispronounce things all the time 'cause I'd read them and gotten their meanings through context, but had never heard them spoken. My main pet peeve is spelling and grammar.

Haha, I did that too.  Doesn't keep me from pronunciation Nazism.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2010, 11:29:56 am »

Hehe, same here. Although it is getting worse now that I am programming... I use techniques without bothering to learn what they are called and then get confused when a book uses their proper names to describe something else.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:40 am »

I say go-lum.

Despite the fact that I know it's a Hebrew word.
I thought that was the pronunciation ... ?

When I was younger I pronounced it like "gall-em" but I found somewhere along the line a pronunciation guide for some D&D terms.

Surprisingly I managed to puzzle out Svirfneblin accurately, according to them.

And "Drow" rhymes with "Throw". As in, "If your Drow is yet another misunderstood good-guy outcast who uses two weapons, I will throw up on your character sheet and you will have to start over"
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2010, 11:40:07 am »

Haha, I did that too.  Doesn't keep me from pronunciation Nazism.

I also have this problem.
Shoes...

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »

I say go-lum.

I thought that was the pronunciation ... ?

When I was younger I pronounced it like "gall-em" but I found somewhere along the line a pronunciation guide for some D&D terms.

Surprisingly I managed to puzzle out Svirfneblin accurately, according to them.

And "Drow" rhymes with "Throw". As in, "If your Drow is yet another misunderstood good-guy outcast who uses two weapons, I will throw up on your character sheet and you will have to start over"

I think I recall an issue of dragon magazine contradicting this,  saying that 'drow' rhymes with 'cow'.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, Baulder's Gate 2 Pronounces it Drow, as in "How now, foul Drow?"
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »

Something along the lines of dr\{w (my X-SAMPA is, admittedly, shit, so that's probably wrong, if a decent approximation...) is what I've always heard, and how my mind wants to pronounce it... :/
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2010, 01:56:30 pm »

You know what, I was thinking the pronunciation as "cow" or "plow" but I for some reason typed it out as "throw" or "grow".

I blame this on not actually saying it out loud as I was typing. You guys are saying it the way I say it too.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »

I have a 'thing' about mispronunciations.  If you pronounce the word "meme" like "mehm," or say "I got my learner's permit" rather than "I got my learner's permit," I am secretly vilifying you.

I'm not proud of this, but it's true.

Heh, you should have a chat with my friend. If there is a way to mispronounce any given word, he will be the one to do it. And he's stubborn about it. Cache is 'cashee', ally is 'allee', golem is 'go-lum'...it drives me insane. He doesn't have a foreign accent, he just failed to grasp the rules of pronunciation somehow during his early childhood.

I know right? Why can't we learn to follow the universal, clear cut, and simple rules of pronunciation for English?

Also,on an unrelated note: Bear, Lair, Mere, Care.

You have a point, but he also refuses any correction. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I have a 'thing' about mispronunciations.  If you pronounce the word "meme" like "mehm," or say "I got my learner's permit" rather than "I got my learner's permit," I am secretly vilifying you.

I'm not proud of this, but it's true.

Heh, you should have a chat with my friend. If there is a way to mispronounce any given word, he will be the one to do it. And he's stubborn about it. Cache is 'cashee', ally is 'allee', golem is 'go-lum'...it drives me insane. He doesn't have a foreign accent, he just failed to grasp the rules of pronunciation somehow during his early childhood.
Well, k{Si (proper pronunciation being k{S or k{Sei and {li ({lai) are a bit odd, but golem is gol@m (well, british would be something like gal@m) (assuming I'm interpreting your phonetic spelling right)...
I looked it up, and I think he may pronounce it correctly after all. I've always thought it was drow/cow/plow. But people seem lenient with the pronunciation/spelling of fantastical things, especially creatures...like dwarves/dwarfs or fairy/faerie.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »

I say go-lum.

Only if it's a creature from ancient Scottish mythology.

It appears that Frank Mentzer is the guy who tried to say otherwise.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »

Yeah to everyone I've met in the past year, I assume the non-gamer position unless it's completely obvious.
I do this too, though I'm openly geeky to geeky friends unlike Retro. Though it'll sometimes take a few weeks time until I'm convinced someone is geeky, and only then I feel safe talking about something like mainstream games. And probably months to start talking about Dwarf Fortress or anything indie like that.

The weird situations are the conversations with geeky and non-geeky people. Even if it makes me feel a bit bad sometimes, I act really non-geeky in those, which I noticed  as one friend from school I've known quite well for three years surprisingly said she had a hard time imagining me playing much at all. Also, I have a friend who hates video games (and geeks to some degree), so I guess I do a good job at covering up my gamerness.

Having been playing the drums since I was 11 probably has a lot do with that. It makes the general image most of people have of me something like: "That weird drummer guy who does well at school and talks a lot", instead of "That weird guy that does well in school, talks a lot and has strange longish hair."

I'm sure everyone is a social chameleon to some degree, but after a certain limit it starts to feel a bit wrong. Occasionally I wish I didn't have friends that cause me to avoid using weird words or telling geeky jokes, but then again that wouldn't leave me with many friends.

EDIT: This analysis was written by 1am LASD, any views expressed here might or might not be shared by 10am to 10pm LASD
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:00:52 am by LASD »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2010, 05:01:56 pm »

Ive never practiced my Tenor Sax in the 3 years ive had it.

The only reason im getting good marks is because the drummers in the back who do nothing but dick around, play off tempo or not at all make everyone look good in comparison.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:04:00 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2010, 05:20:00 pm »

You should buy those drummers several drinks and tell them to keep up the good work!

(I assume you're in college?)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26