Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Drunkenbottle the Toast of Towns, Drunken Succession!  (Read 3653 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Idea Only) DF the way a dwarf would play it
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:42 am »

Ah, yeah I figured something would be up about the amount of the shot. Aside from the interrupts, that could be feasible with beer, or maybe 30-40 proof.

Looks like this could be split into either:
Pre-drinking and playing your season (or year, else you'd have to already have plans for that night), or
Having to do shots for each dwarf that gets killed. Clearly, immigration will keep a constant supply of alcohol in your system. Maybe you could just just do a 4 shot mulligan to bridge a wave of immigrants, or that'd get dangerous.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:02 pm »

Couldn't we do something like this with DFterm?  If only we could pass control every season or somesuch,  and watch the chaos together.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 04:17:10 pm »

That sounds very entertaining. Now, for the hard part, getting a group of people to work out a schedule spanning many time zones, being able to be on at the same time, able to be drunk, and able to not have to go to work the next day O-O
While talking to AJ:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 11:10:31 am »

I might be into this.  I have drunk while playing DF before, to add the authenticity.  I also usually do not pause unless chaos occurs.  You'll have to schedule the game around the weekends.  Vodka gives a more well-rounded intoxication than other hard liquors, in that you start off feeling little, then it hits.  For that reason, Vodka also leads to vomiting, lol. 

I'd probably set my own drinking schedule, although it should be required that a person makes their post on the fortress while still intoxicated.

Oh, and for those players under the age of legal intoxication, perhaps we can schedule them between our drinkers?  Let them have the "fun" of fixing the stuff us drinkers mess up, and giving us a cleaner fort to trash.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »

I will do this. Unfortunately I cant start right now since I have college tomorrow but next weekend, Ill play the entire Saturday while being drunk out of my mind, and if I survive, ill post the results on Sunday.
Ill be drinking Cachaça. If you know what Cachaça is, you can imagine how this will turn out.
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 12:15:54 am »

That sounds excellent. Instead of making a line-up, we should simply have the most recent fort available, and players add to it when it's good for them.

Do you want to take over the idea and make a new thread? I will, but I'd rather not run the whole thing.
While talking to AJ:

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:53 am »

I feel like this thread would go extremely well with this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58792.0

e- Also have begun to reconsider involvement in this - more interested now. I'm in a rambunctious mood.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 01:08:44 am »

I feel like this thread would go extremely well with this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58792.0

e- Also have begun to reconsider involvement in this - more interested now. I'm in a rambunctious mood.

Combine the two, speed it up, set it to yakety sax, and you'd have prime comedy right there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 01:47:25 am »

No innocents were call in the making of this succession fort. The only thing I see with the scrambler idea is the availability of participants. There's just no way you can keep a schedule going without interrupting people's lives, yah know, and if you're old enough to drink, you probably have to stay on some sort of schedule for work or school.
While talking to AJ:

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 11:02:59 am »

THIS.  That's a bloody wonderful idea.  I'm down for it this weekend.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 04:24:30 pm »

No innocents were call in the making of this succession fort. The only thing I see with the scrambler idea is the availability of participants. There's just no way you can keep a schedule going without interrupting people's lives, yah know, and if you're old enough to drink, you probably have to stay on some sort of schedule for work or school.

True. Well, I'm ready to go any time this week if someone's got a site we can all agree on, unless anyone else wants to go first.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:37 pm »

RIGHT, WELL. I'm bored and with nothing to do tonight, nor tomorrow morning, and I've got a pint and a half of vodka. I'm going to go start drinking and get started in an hour. Embark is going to be up to Party Ret as are worldgen parameters and whatnot. I think I'm going to play as much as I can before I sober up, regardless of if it's less or more than a year, and just pass that off until someone else is ready to take a turn. Considering the game involves alcohol, I don't think we can structure this in any way and should probably leave it as 'whenver someone is ready they can just grab the save' - likewise I don't expect my drunken self to follow rules well so 'year to year' is going to be out as well. I'll stop playing when I sober up. IN THE MEANTIME. Suggest (simple!) stuff for me to do and I'll see how well I can keep up with suggestions. I'm going to either keep notes and post them when I'm done or just post stuff here, though I don't want to overpost or anything.

So yeah, tl;dr I'm off to get drunk and then start up a fort. Minors, don't drink. Miners, grab yourselves a glass. See you in an hour - it's go time.

e- Time to GET THINGS STARTED. We are about a pint down and popping DF open. Going to post notelog when again sober. Suggest random stuff if you want, I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:08:22 pm by Retro »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »

If I don't work this weekend, I may take a 'shot' at your fort. I still prefer 40d, but I'll play the new game too. If I don't have work scheduled, I can go as soon as tomorrow, granted my friend with the good computer is available. This would go along great with IRC, if you want. Also, if you already started, we can create an official thread and upload the save, or just change the name of this one.

You guys tell me what direction we shall take, I'll host the thing now.
While talking to AJ:

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 01:29:00 am »

Well, it's about four hours since I started drinking, and I'm pretty sober. Glancing over the 'fort' I'm not really sure what's going on, and it's midwinter of the first year. Going to just paste the log, embarassing though it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't think I'm even going to go into detail on how weird this fort is. The names are especially bizarre. Not really sure how good it is to keep a succession game going; I lost both picks early on, and then sold most of the food to buy a new one. And yeah, it'd definitely benefit from IRC. Anyhow, here's the save to take a look (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2469). Fort's name is Drunkenbottle the Toast of Towns.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 02:39:31 am »

That's great, I certainly enjoyed the log. I certainly hope you enjoyed your experience! For standardization, what size was the bottle and what proof was the drink? If I'm not working on tomorrow (Thurs or Fri), I'm going to crack into my Absolut and drink as much as you did, if approx an hour's time, then stop. I like the log idea, I'll certainly make one while I do it.

Do you think I should build upon your settlement, or start a new one? I'd love to make this succession-y, if at all possible. I also currently prefer 40d to 2010, since it's a lot more stable and less complex, especially military-wise, and even more especially since it's going to be somewhat tough as it is while drinking.

Since you started it off, it's up to you. You said this fort may be crumbling as it is, is it okay for me to gen up a 40d one?
While talking to AJ:
Pages: 1 [2] 3