Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Your feelings on this?

Strike the earth!
Good idea, don't count me in, though.
Meh, I just like to vote. Don't care.
You'll probably have a lot of "Fun*", that's for sure.
GET A JOB, YOU HIPPIES.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: Geek Commune  (Read 21850 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Geek Commune
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:49 am »

What, a commune without pot? Screw that.

Woah, hold on there, I just said no illegal drugs. Sometime this next year we're expecting a ballot measure to go through that'll make it legal to grow and use for edutainment. If everyone grew the legal maximum, we could just sell it and never have to work again.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:20 am »

Whew, thank God! I though next you'd say that you'd ban guitars and long hair, and make daily showers mandatory.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »

Ahem.

Well... the measure failed... and the republicans won. For those outside the US, I'd encourage you to play Liberal Crime Squad to learn a little bit about what we can expect. Definitely go on Nightmare mode.

So, slight change of plans. Rather than a commune, this will be more of a separate country sort of thing. Rather than being geeks, we'd be kinda closer to revolutionaries. I figure we could base our economy on freedom-related industries, like open internet hosting, free speech websites, liberal agriculture, and industrial automation.

That last one would be important... seeing as we'd have a small but very highly educated population, we would be unable to run conventional factories and mines, but we could develop robotics to do so, and robotics to build the robots, thus allowing us to be somewhat self-sufficient at modern levels of industialism with a far smaller population than other groups.

So yeah, kinda like a geek commune, except it's a liberal robocracy.

Also, rather than being a modded hotel in seattle, I'm thinking it'll first a roving bandit operation to gather resources, then a sophisticated base in Antartica. The continent is entirely untouched by human settlement and thus should be rich in unexploited resources. And penguin is delicious.

P.S., We would naturally build combat robots as needed, of armaments, jet packs, and size as required. Naturally, our Antartic location would give vast tactical advantages to a combination of deeply entrenched forces and troops that are completely immune to the cold.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2010, 03:29:34 pm »

Get a job, hippie.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »

Ahem.

Well... the measure failed... and the republicans won. For those outside the US, I'd encourage you to play Liberal Crime Squad to learn a little bit about what we can expect. Definitely go on Nightmare mode.

So, slight change of plans. Rather than a commune, this will be more of a separate country sort of thing. Rather than being geeks, we'd be kinda closer to revolutionaries. I figure we could base our economy on freedom-related industries, like open internet hosting, free speech websites, liberal agriculture, and industrial automation.

That last one would be important... seeing as we'd have a small but very highly educated population, we would be unable to run conventional factories and mines, but we could develop robotics to do so, and robotics to build the robots, thus allowing us to be somewhat self-sufficient at modern levels of industialism with a far smaller population than other groups.

So yeah, kinda like a geek commune, except it's a liberal robocracy.

Also, rather than being a modded hotel in seattle, I'm thinking it'll first a roving bandit operation to gather resources, then a sophisticated base in Antartica. The continent is entirely untouched by human settlement and thus should be rich in unexploited resources. And penguin is delicious.

P.S., We would naturally build combat robots as needed, of armaments, jet packs, and size as required. Naturally, our Antartic location would give vast tactical advantages to a combination of deeply entrenched forces and troops that are completely immune to the cold.

I only see one problem with this... how do we build the robots that build the robot-building robots?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »

Oh Goddammit, here we go again.  Just go back to playing Liberal Crime Squad.  See how many child-computer-hackers you can pack into one apartment and beat up old conservative magicians, that'll work it out of your system.

Antarctica is certainly not untouched by human settlement, it's actually quite trashed.  Besides, it's stationary, and as we discussed last time, the key to piracy is mobility, mobility, mobility.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2010, 06:31:57 pm »

this is insane.
I mean that in a good way.
I would totally join up if I wasn't in high school and going to college after I get out.
After that... If it gets started, It could be interesting.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2010, 07:44:08 pm »

This is interesting. Noted in case it picks up steam again.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »

Why bother with a base? Just make a massive blimp...
Eh?
Eh!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:07 pm »

I'd want to join, but I'm worried about my employment prospects in the republic of armed hippistan.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2010, 11:21:45 pm »

I'd want to join, but I'm worried about my employment prospects in the republic of armed hippistan.

We'll need a LOT of ice wranglers. There's only desert rainfall in Antarctica, so we'll need to recover ice and process it into useful water.

I think we can find geothermal energy... and that would be our only power source. solar would be unlikely, and importing fuel would be absurd.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2010, 11:35:23 pm »

Cojawfee Condo will NEVER happen.

NEVER
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2010, 11:48:07 pm »

What about wind or hydroelectric or fission/fusion?
Could you recycle water?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

What about wind or hydroelectric or fission/fusion?
Could you recycle water?
Don't be absurd. Fusion is always 20 years in the future. Fission requires vast quantities of energy to get started, and is hazardous.
There's no running rivers powerful enough for normal hydro, but there may be tidal power... I didn't think of wind, though, worth a look.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2010, 12:00:37 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:56:53 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24