Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Your feelings on this?

Strike the earth!
Good idea, don't count me in, though.
Meh, I just like to vote. Don't care.
You'll probably have a lot of "Fun*", that's for sure.
GET A JOB, YOU HIPPIES.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Geek Commune  (Read 21830 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Geek Commune
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 03:02:54 pm »

You need to have a momma's boy nerd, an engineer, a fat greasy guy, a jock who loves D&D, a hot girl who beats all of you at video games, and...

I'm not sure, what are the other stereotypes?
Shoes...

Vahan

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »

You need to have a momma's boy nerd, an engineer, a fat greasy guy, a jock who loves D&D, a hot girl who beats all of you at video games, and...

I'm not sure, what are the other stereotypes?

Computer obsessed Chinaman, Otaku-chan or whatever Japanese, Weeaboo... What else?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »

We've got a Malaysian, does that count?  'Cept umiman's in Canada...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 03:39:10 pm »

How about a girl with wild hair who likes stabbing things?  Oh wait, that's not a nerd stereotype  ::)

Well, one of the advantages of the commune would be that, in the event of a burglar, we could simply think of it as either a baby-snatcher that targets computers or else a very localized zombie apocolypse. Either way, we're prepared.

If we actually do this, I should have substantial weaponry after the next year or so.  I.e. a 7-foot polearm and a 6-foot bow, along with potentially owning a katana (depends on my ability to find an iaido school).  Yup yup.  Let's just say that any intruder who isn't packing modern firepower is pretty screwed.

I guess I count for either the Otaku or the weeaboo.  I do own a lot of manga, and Japan is pretty cool.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »

Oh man, we could have our own medieval Fight Club. I've got a claymore and fencing sword thingy (foil? My uncle got it for me without telling me the name).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 03:47:42 pm »

That's the fun thing about geeks; they are each a stereotype unto themselves.

Mac and PC geeks (overlap with others), console geeks, specific game geek, green geek, chess geek, robot geek, ESPECIALLY zombie-obsessed geek, low-intensity furry geek, foriegn geek(s), sports geek(s), LARP geek, word puzzle geek, IT geek (that is, networking and security geek), cooking geek, fat geek... Some of these, specifically word, zombie, mac, green, and, sadly, cooking geeks, are "allowed" to be female. I don't make the rules... Oh, forgot your Japanamated people. They can be girls.

Oh, regarding the bathroom question: How's a ratio of 4 to 1 for each bathroom sound? Before you answer, consider that with a target size of 32 participants, that's quite possibly more than a thousand dollars on toilets alone. (assuming we're replacing or building new and getting something in better condition than you might get by collecting abandoned ones at the side of the road)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2010, 03:55:52 pm »

4 to 1 sounds just fine for the balance of cost to privacy and cleanliness.

I also had an idea: If this is done in a large space, why not make smaller buildings dotting around it for.. what is the word for a venerated geek I guess? Like how at colleges they have dorms for the students and then a dorm for post-grads that are working on shit there. Something like that, built when needed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 04:09:02 pm »

Oh man, we could have our own medieval Fight Club. I've got a claymore and fencing sword thingy (foil? My uncle got it for me without telling me the name).

Haha.  See, what I'm really hankering after is a guan dao, but I'm nowhere near strong enough to wield it yet--sucker's supposed to weigh 30 lbs.

Oh, regarding the bathroom question: How's a ratio of 4 to 1 for each bathroom sound? Before you answer, consider that with a target size of 32 participants, that's quite possibly more than a thousand dollars on toilets alone. (assuming we're replacing or building new and getting something in better condition than you might get by collecting abandoned ones at the side of the road)

That's $32 cost per person to get reasonable bathrooms.  Yeah, I think I could live with that >_>  Plus, don't forget that we'd probably be getting a bulk price on a lot of this stuff.

I'd also pay out good money for a communal furo (Japanese-style hot bath).  They'd really help after a hard practice.

I also had an idea: If this is done in a large space, why not make smaller buildings dotting around it for.. what is the word for a venerated geek I guess? Like how at colleges they have dorms for the students and then a dorm for post-grads that are working on shit there. Something like that, built when needed.

Eh, I think that ruins some of the comedy appeal of having 32 geeks jammed in together doing crazy shit.  Storage sheds for the completed trebuchets?  Yes.  Personal housing?  Not so much.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 04:36:48 pm »

Why get a guan do? It looks like a heavier naginata for the same effect. Also, this claymore is like a big block of metal really, and should probably be called a zweihander. It is like, 17 pounds and like, 6 feet 2 inches, I.E. an inch taller than me. I am surprised that I can manage not to overbalance with this thing when swinging. I feel like some badass that could do a quad-beheading with it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2010, 04:53:47 pm »

Why get a guan do? It looks like a heavier naginata for the same effect.

Different style.  Naginata is good for speed, but it's going to be harder to cut people in half.

Also, they just look ridiculously cool.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2010, 05:17:57 pm »

I guess. Want I want to do with my summer though, is steal Fighters idea: Mega-chuks with maces/mega-flail. Have a mace, with 4 or 5 chains and additional mace heads, which have their own smaller 4 or 5 run-offs. When swung, it is a wall of pain.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2010, 05:32:25 pm »

#1 rule of swordfighting: wear a helmet with a full face mask, unless you want eye and brain surgury in one quick movement.

Vahan

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2010, 05:33:59 pm »

#1 rule of swordfighting: wear a helmet with a full face mask, unless you want eye and brain surgury in one quick movement.

I thought the #1 rule was not to hold the sharp end.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:25 pm »

Haha, I just learned how to dodge. Seriously. My karate instructors, from when I was a green belt to when I was a black belt, made me spar with the kendo sticks. They got protective gear, I didn't. They added in a lot of grappling and ground work. They could tap out, I couldn't. Additional things like that. It was good fun though.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2010, 05:43:35 pm »

I thought the #1 rule was not to hold the sharp end.
Nope!

E:lol quote fail.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:57:06 pm by bjlong »
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24