Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Your feelings on this?

Strike the earth!
Good idea, don't count me in, though.
Meh, I just like to vote. Don't care.
You'll probably have a lot of "Fun*", that's for sure.
GET A JOB, YOU HIPPIES.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Geek Commune  (Read 21789 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geek Commune
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2010, 05:27:00 am »

Aside from schizophrenic cryptography and math professorship, how do pure mathematicians make money? Inventing and selling new number systems?

Pure math turns out to have all kinds of applications in unexpected areas.  Apparently Google is hiring hives of mathematicians to solve sphere-packing problems--I have no idea why, but apparently it's important.  Math people get hired for algorithms, figuring out new ways to do computations, providing information for extremely math-challenged companies...

Basically, most pure mathematicians choose their research, and some are commissioned for particular problems.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2010, 07:43:58 am »

PTTG, she should probably stick to something simple in the US before we think about anything more complicated. It's not any of us have experience with any of this! I actually think it is fairly feasibly, though we should probably plan on something closer to small apartment complex with common rooms where we all like each other. :P
The most common approach seems to be that one person buys and owns the land, and then other people come and live there and contribute - obviously, anything permanent they build stays if they leave.

Quote from: aqqizar
I don't know why I'm even entertaining this.  If I moved into a commune, my Dad would never let me live it down.
Why is that? And how would he even know? Tell him it's a University Style share-based living arrangement. :P
Only difference between a commune and a dorm is that we actually have something approaching ownership over the first one.

Quote from: Vector
I don't know how real my interest is.  I don't know that I'd be actually able to get there, physically... but it definitely seems like someplace I'd like to spend a summer, maybe half a year when I'm on sabbatical or some other sort of break.
This is one of the things we'd have to keep in mind to - turnover is to be expected, people coming for a season or so.

But we might want to consider being close to a University anyways. Not to tempt Vector with a job (well, not just for that reason. :P ), but just because with high turnover, we would do well to provide a place for college students to rent during the winter when we are more likely to be low on members. That would be a nice infusion of cash, at the very least, and might actually get us a few dedicated members for a couple years.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2010, 10:42:16 am »

IRL, I wouldn't be able to join. Too much baggage, too much family.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:13 pm »

Well, I've decided I can't live here anymore. I can't stand the overwhelming ignorance and corruption. I'm getting out as soon as I can.

Glyphgryph, you may be right, but you know what they say. You have to run before you walk, dive before you swim, and fly before you crawl. We'll pick it up as we go along. The pilgrims did it, and we now know not to store the corpses in the drinking water.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »

So where are you going to move to PTTG???  What will you do when you get there?

Quote from: aqqizar
I don't know why I'm even entertaining this.  If I moved into a commune, my Dad would never let me live it down.
Why is that? And how would he even know? Tell him it's a University Style share-based living arrangement. :P
Only difference between a commune and a dorm is that we actually have something approaching ownership over the first one.

It has nothing to do with him having a problem with communes, its that he has a problem with deadbeats.  And he would know.  When he was about my age, he lived in a "commune" himself, the way most people do it - by accidental circumstance.  He just woke up one day, and realized he was living in a one-bedroom apartment with his wife and seven other people, because they were skint-broke to a person and could only crash at whoever's place somebody could afford.

Having done basically the same thing for myself for a while, midway through college, I'm not exactly eager to repeat the experience of living on microwave dinners and scotch, rationing showers, sleeping on a countertop by day and playing MMOs with a stack of pizza-boxes for a chair by night.  Dad didn't let me live it down then, and he really wouldn't now, and I'd completely deserve it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:53 pm »

living on microwave dinners
There will be no one doing this in any commune I'm living in. We'd have mealtimes, damn it. And I'd make nice, home cooked international meals every night. There might still be scotch, but still. It would be wonderful. </idealism> And it might even be true, with the exception of the renters who would probably keep to themselves more.

Seriously though, this isn't sounding like a community of deadbeats. It sounded like a community of like minded people, all of whom would be paying their way somehow. It looks like most of those interested are employed, and simply people who understand the benefits of shared resources and the value of a community-based living arrangement.

Let me give you an idea of my own motivations for this:
They say one of the best ways to get ahead in life is to surround yourself with intelligent, productive people. It's a multiplier of your own potential - it's the same reasoning behind elite schools like MIT. Honestly, I've got a lack of that - I've met a lot of amazing people, but I've never had an opportunity to be involved in what I'd really call a community of intellectuals, of "geeks", if you will. I mean, I'm no genius, or even a scientist, but I feel like living with and maybe even working with some of the people who have posted in this topic, yourself included, is far more likely to be a positive experience than a negative one. And all the best things in my life have come from taking wild and crazy risks, moving halfway across the world on a whim, on the belief that even if things didn't end up better wherever I was going, I would at least discover something new.

And I've got to admit that right now, I've really latched onto this idea. It's got me a bit starry eyed just thinking of the possibilities. I said earlier that I had just planned on it "happening to me at some point". That was a bit facetious, I'll be honest - I have a tendency to go out of my way to put myself in the situation where things like that will happen to me, and I would find a way for it to happen sooner or later if it didn't happen on its own. This merely gave those plans (two, three years out, maybe) a jump start in my mind.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »

Hm.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »

I just want some people to argue with. No one around me is at my intelligence level except for a couple people, and they are either quiet and not argument-prone, or irrational and very argument-prone.

Which is presumably why I migrate to the internet to find solace.

Idea get: I should start a thread solely for arguing. One topic per however many pages we feel like/until the argument has been decided in favor of one side or declared a draw. Then, new topic.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 05, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »

I just want some people to argue with. No one around me is at my intelligence level except for a couple people, and they are either quiet and not argument-prone, or irrational and very argument-prone.

Which is presumably why I migrate to the internet to find solace.

Idea get: I should start a thread solely for arguing. One topic per however many pages we feel like/until the argument has been decided in favor of one side or declared a draw. Then, new topic.

Because arguments on the internet are impossible to find, what with people always so accepting of opposing viewpoints and whatnot.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2010, 09:22:29 pm »

Well, I like orderly arguments, not people thinking their point is more valid because they have Caps Lock on.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 05, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »

Hey, Renault is back! I've been missing your input on numerous topics.

On topic: It seems that GlyphGryph and PTTG?? have the best chance at this starting. PTTG?? wants to move somewhere new, GlyphGryph wants a commune. It could work, bros.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:04 pm »

Well, I like orderly arguments, not people thinking their point is more valid because they have Caps Lock on.

WAIT, UR TELLIN'G ME THIS DOESTN' MAKE ME RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?1111???!1111ELEVENTYONE!?!?!?2!?!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 05, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »

NO YOU'RE OBVIUSLY RITE EVEN THOUGH I HAVE CRUISE CONTROL ON TOO

OH WAIT NOW I'M RITER

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 05, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »

CAPS LOCK!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sock Puppet

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hmm?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2010, 11:37:00 pm »

CAPS LOCK!
VERTIGON IS TEH MOST DURRBITIBLY RITE AND YOU ARE RONG
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24