Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interesting dragon... feature?  (Read 2203 times)

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting dragon... feature?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:51 pm »

Hold on... are you telling me you can heat up liquids, and they STAY hot?  So like... I could make an above ground vomit room... put magma under it, and recreate the dwarven microwave.  WITH VOMIT AND BLOOD!?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 02:50:38 am »

It's actually not the blood directly causing the melting feet.  Just because it's heatdamage point is so high doesn't necessarily mean it's always at that point.

However, if the dragon breathed fire anytime during it's attack (which it sounds like it did from the forest fire) it's body temperature can increase significantly.  Sorta related how a dragon could burn itself to death back in 40d.  Except now instead of dying from the heat it builds up it just stores the heat without being harmed by it.  Which means much of the dragon's blood will be the same temperature of the dragon at the time it was 'extracted'.  Thus melting feet.

While the blood probably isn't quite all the way up to that heatdam point it is still likely the temperature of dragonfire.  The dragon's spec heat also means that bodyparts lose that heat very slowly.  So a decontamination chamber is a good idea, I would also take the extra step of setting all tiles that have dragon blood on it as restricted, and forbidding everything in the blood.

tl:dr  The blood is whats melting yer dorfs, but it's because the dragon built up that heat before losing the blood, not just because it's dragon blood

This game is amazing.

That makes sense. Heat immune creatures would still conduct heat, they just would have evolved in such a way as to be able to live within a wider temperature range. Magic probably helps in that regard.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:54:47 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:38 am »

Hold on... are you telling me you can heat up liquids, and they STAY hot?  So like... I could make an above ground vomit room... put magma under it, and recreate the dwarven microwave.  WITH VOMIT AND BLOOD!?

In theory you could do something like that yes.  Though the temperature of magma adjacent tiles never gets hot enough to do any harm to anything, so you would need to find or mod something hotter.  EDIT:Unless that water boiling 'bug' is still around.

The dragon's spec_heat value also likely plays a role.  It seems to slow down the rate in which body parts and such lose their temperature.  (Though it's supposed to slow down the rate where their temperature raises as well, but that doesn't seem the case to me)  I don't know what the default values for spec heat of dwarven vomit and goblin blood are, but they could very well lose built up heat fast enough to make such a construction difficult.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:16:12 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2]