Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Meaning of Life.  (Read 1611 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of Life.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 07:10:44 am »

I still don't get what your definition of purpose is. Correct me if I'm wrong:

You believe things have purposes.
These purpose are events they are supposed to do.
Once these events have happened, their purposes are fulfilled.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 07:19:46 am »

Anyone else disappointed that it's this old argument again, instead of being about Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life? That was a great movie.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 07:23:09 am »

Anyone else disappointed that it's this old argument again, instead of being about Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life? That was a great movie.
Yes, it was.
Best part, IMO.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 07:39:22 am »

I hate Monty Python it is just stupid.

I believe that all things may have purpose.
These purposes are events they can do, and are intended to.
Once these events have happened, their existance is justified.

If you include destiny everything you do from your preconseption till your body has turned into unrecognizable matter is your purpose.

I believe that if we, as life, have purpose, then so does every speck of space dust in this section of the universe as is.

Unfortunetly I, being the only person of importance and worth to us (no offence intended to any, well a little), cannot find any clue to human purpose and as an extention mine, so either I create a purpose (which I have), or go crazy and blow up the world with science...and mad man philosophy.

I and Armok are not the same person but he probably was drawn here much as I was...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 07:48:58 am »

So in other words, you believe in 'fate' and have an unjustified superiority complex.
I've played some mafia.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 07:57:57 am »

Not at all, I hate fate/destiny and the like and hope for sure it's bullshit that can be disproved by alternate universes, and we kind of only have trust in myself as others can lie to me (thats why I disowned my family).

Although if I can do my purpose then it brings fate back in and I hate the thaught that my actions have been desided upon, and I thusly have no real free will.

I unwillingly have knowledge of fate's posibility and a major trust issue.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 08:00:05 am »

Not at all, I hate fate/destiny and the like and hope for sure it's bullshit that can be disproved by alternate universes, and we kind of only have trust in myself as others can lie to me (thats why I disowned my family).

Although if I can do my purpose then it brings fate back in and I hate the thaught that my actions have been desided upon, and I thusly have no real free will.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, and I don't think my comprehension skills are at fault here.
I've played some mafia.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 08:10:02 am »

I have no idea what you're trying to say, and I don't think my comprehension skills are at fault here.

I don't think it helps that he's wildly contradicting himself.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 09:34:56 am »

I think desntiny is a pretty cool guy. Eh controls fate and doesn't afraid of anything.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 09:37:39 am »

I think desntiny is a pretty cool guy. Eh controls fate and doesn't afraid of anything.

Des Tiny?
I've played some mafia.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:23 am »

I hate Monty Python it is just stupid.
Now don't go bashing things in here, we don't need any die hard Monty Python fans yelling up a storm.

I don't understand your reasoning at all. It seems to me that you believe we have a purpose, but we cannot fulfill that purpose that we don't have?

Please make it easier if possible.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »

I believe humans may have a purpose, but I dont know what it is or if we are fulfilling it, also I've desided that if you cant find purpose, it all is unnecessary and requires an end.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »

"What is the meaning of life" Is a wrong QUESTION, it is horribly ill defined and meaningless, and shouldn't really be asked. What people MEAN when they say it is "What ultimate goals should I strive for?".

Pepale have in this theread mostly been answering "Happiness", "survival of the self", or "spreading of your genes" (by wich they really mean "Inclusive genetic fitness"). These answers are incorect for vitualy all humans (no, you're NOT one of the exceptions, it's not even sure exceptions actually exist). For the corect answer see: http://lesswrong.com/lw/l3/thou_art_godshatter/

For further information, contact me. No, you're NOT qualified to come up with your own answers.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 04:46:29 pm »

"What is the meaning of life" Is a wrong QUESTION, it is horribly ill defined and meaningless, and shouldn't really be asked. What people MEAN when they say it is "What ultimate goals should I strive for?".

Pepale have in this theread mostly been answering "Happiness", "survival of the self", or "spreading of your genes" (by wich they really mean "Inclusive genetic fitness"). These answers are incorect for vitualy all humans (no, you're NOT one of the exceptions, it's not even sure exceptions actually exist). For the corect answer see: http://lesswrong.com/lw/l3/thou_art_godshatter/

For further information, contact me. No, you're NOT qualified to come up with your own answers.

Here we go...

I suppose you are qualified to come up with my answers?
Shoes...

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 04:55:24 pm »

The first thing I saw there was "blind idiot god," and thought TIMECUBE!!!
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3