Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition  (Read 13655 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Competition: Team Skycrashes Home Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2010, 07:07:13 am »

Maybe we could isolate a piece of the first underground level as part of the tower :D . I won't be able to dig much in my turn as miners are busy removing ramps right now.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2010, 07:10:19 am »

If you designate the top half of the circle, and when that's finished, the bottom half, it should take less time because your miners aren't running halfway around the circle each time they want to remove a ramp. Doing it a single level at a time also reduces the time your miners spend running around.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2010, 09:21:58 am »

Someone should write some instructions on translating the military screen into something understandable, ive been messing around with .04 and I still cannot figure it out.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2010, 09:30:01 am »

... :D yay our save's alive and well! moat to be finished soon, too. i'm even more excited now!

ooh you got the drawbridges up. better move the dwarves somewhere arrow-proof, then. and make a royal dining room...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2010, 09:30:32 am »

Someone should write some instructions on translating the military screen into something understandable, ive been messing around with .04 and I still cannot figure it out.

An overview, info on squads and moving your squads around, info on alerts and scheduling, Frequently Asked Questions, and an interface walkthrough for the military screen.

What it boils down to is this: The 'Train' scheduling item is bugged, so dwarves won't train properly that way. In fact, they'll only train properly if you remove all their orders. This includes scheduling orders and move/kill orders. However, they won't count as military dwarves unless they do have orders to follow, so they'll run away if attacked. What you need to do is remove a squads orders (you can use the default 'Inactive' alert for this) to get them to train, and when you want them to attack issue them a location to run to with s - a/b/c/d/etc - m. A bit annoying until Train is fixed, but a benefit of this is that you don't need training items - dwarves train by themselves, so you can give a bunch of peasants adamantine battle axes and have nothing to worry about as they skill up. If you don't get it all, let me know; having written all that I know what I'm talking about :P

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2010, 09:58:33 am »

I won't be able to do the cave in because DF hangs every time I pull the lever.

Hooookay! I've done some progress today. My main project is done(the archways). I've uploaded the map to the archive. It still late autumn so I will use winter to add some polish and maybe improve the dwarves accommodation a bit.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8859-skycrushers
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:29:20 pm by Toady Two »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

Hey, that's actually looking pretty good.

And the cave-in does take a while, but DF doesn't crash. Pull the lever and then go make a sandwich or something.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:10 am »

Your graphic set makes it look cool...

And when pulling the lever, might as well make a sandwich, turn on the kettle, eat the sandwich, make a cuppa tea/coffee, drink tea/coffee, watch ALL Lord of the Rings movies, then watch ALL 6 Star Wars Movies and after that, write a novel on another PC...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2010, 09:36:54 am »

This is looking pretty good. What's the plan at the moment, though? I've a terrible eye for converting 2d to 3d, but it seems that it's a hemisphere with a smaller tower shooting up through the middle.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

Aaaand done!

It your turn Flaede. Here is the save.

Here is the map.

I've had some trouble with goblins. Some dwarves died and now some people are depressed. I don't think they are going to spiral but you never know for sure.

Right now the fort is sealed off in fear of more ambush parties. The military is nonexistent but the trap offer some sort of defense.

The place desperately needs better stockpile organization and room quality cause it is starting to get out of hand.

I hope you can handle it and won't have to reclaim. I can always give you an older backup save since before the great depression.

Add whatever you like to the tower, I've built some spiraling staircases some 20 zlvlz up to help you out.

May I suggest someone tries to add some underground features or even magma to our project.(I know pumping it will be daunting)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:01:25 am by Toady Two »

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:15 am »

Your map link is bad.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2010, 10:13:16 am »

Does it work now?

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:00 am »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:58 am »

This is looking pretty good. What's the plan at the moment, though? I've a terrible eye for converting 2d to 3d, but it seems that it's a hemisphere with a smaller tower shooting up through the middle.

I think the plan is to just do whatever.

The requirements of the tower have been met: there's a moat to level -25 and a staircase to level 75, so all we have to do is decorate it.

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2010, 11:55:42 am »

I want to thicken the tower so it isnt just a hollow useless spire into the sky, I want to try and move most of the workshops upward so it can become a real functioning fortress....therefore I should probably go look for magma, and start a pump system to provide water to all levels.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13