Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition  (Read 13650 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Competition: Team Skycrashes Home Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:27 am »

Would you believe that the save is corrupted?

I would. The game I was playing has just crashed twice at season-change. So I'm a little disheartened. Someone else will have to take up the save.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2010, 07:42:10 am »

Um maybe I should first set up a Military then hand it over to someone else...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2010, 09:52:33 am »

eh, no need nevyn, it's past your one year already... i'll try taking the tower up tomorrow.

anything i should do on my turn? i'm gonna need to look at the spiral design you made in your turn to replicate it, jim.

proper dwarf-to-goblin close quarters defense is never possible without some tantrum spiral... maybe because i'm too much of a pansy...? fortifications, channels and locked doors have been my close friends...

artifacts are on, yes? hoo...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:42 pm »

If you want to see what I got done this turn, just check out the turn I put up that ended in calamity. I managed to get down to the bottom layer of the moat before the save was corrupted, though, and I probably would've gotten to the 75th level with the staircase.

Anyways, use ramps to dig two levels at a time, the bridges Neyvn built are drawbridges so hook those up fast, get some dwarves to make crafts, and work on getting soldiers training as soon as possible.

I hope you have better luck than me.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2010, 10:29:10 pm »

Didn't you relies that those bridges lifted???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »

The second time around when I wanted to be able to lock everything down.

I didn't think I would need them the first time around. Boy, was I wrong.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2010, 12:24:04 am »

Good news: The save loads up properly for me. I don't know what the problem was.

rosedrake, I thank you for volunteering to take my turn, but it looks like I'll be able to finish.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2010, 02:26:20 am »

And done. Here's the save and here's the map on the DFMA

I got the moat dug out, and I got the final level of the staircase designated. The miners are fast at work removing all support, and that will be done pretty quickly.

ToadyTwo, check out the DFMA. I've marked out the lever you'll need to pull once the miners are finished channeling the edges out. After that, you'll need to reclaim everything in the moat and restart all the suspended jobs at the mason's shops.

I managed to get a few pieces of steel armor for the four man militia, and I've got several modest craft industries up and running. There aren't as many blocks as last time, but I didn't get a third immigration wave during the year. Fortunately, I lucked out and there was no goblin ambush at the end.

Also, in the case of ambush there's a second emergency squad that should be carrying around wooden crossbows and some wooden bolts.

Overall, decent progress, I'd say.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:29:37 am by Jim Groovester »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2010, 02:59:05 am »

So you got some Archers to equip bolts, good work mate...
Question is if they will fire them or go out and attempt to use them as melee...

Surggestion // Level 2 and 3 should be Fortifcation walls, 4 and 5 Barracks (Training)/Archery Range, 6 Armoury and Sleeping Quarters...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:01 am »

Some other suggestions for ToadyTwo:

I just tested the cave-in myself, and everything works properly, but there are a few problems.

1. The cave-in drags a few things in from the edges of the cliffs, dwarves included. Move the meeting zone away from its current location, preferably underground.
2. The cave-in will produce several materialless floating downward ramps. I'd suggest removing them all from all the levels before you pull the lever.

That's it. The cave-in itself will take a few minutes to process, but if you follow the two above steps it should go off without a hitch.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2010, 04:41:38 am »

Ok, I'll be checking this out momentarily. I'll post my business plan once I see the site.

EDIT: Ok, so I see we have the moat almost finished. I

only have one year to get some progress done so I won't be wasting time.

I'll try and put up some levels. If I need room for work I'll dig in the underground tower levels. I'll remove the ramps one level at a time before I cave the moat in.

Hopefully i'll get this done with minimal casualties(something I'm bot really good at honestly)

I'll try to expand upward some z lvls at first with a skinny tower surrounded by extensions of the existing 12 pillars. The skinny tower will be walled in but may be extended by others if needed.

Also, wow, were building out of blocks. :P

I'll make arcs over the entrances.

Is it okay if I switch from wood to stone from now on?

Migrant wave: basically enabled masonry on all of them.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:21:08 am by Toady Two »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2010, 06:28:02 am »

I think replacing wood with blocks is probably the way to go.

The tower doesn't have to be the as wide as the base the whole way up. It can be narrowed down as we get higher and higher.

And the base is for workshops and stockpiles and things like that, so go ahead and dig that out as you please.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2010, 06:57:05 am »

Basically what I'm going to try is make the starting eight pillars arc and join with the central tower(the one with the spiral staircase).

I have an idea on how to make it and I hope it wont be too much of a decorative waste of time.

Later players can widen the tower at higher levels.

I'll make more of the spiraling staircases since they look cool.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2010, 07:00:36 am »

I think that the rule is that as long as its built all the way to the highet of 100zs it counts, thought I think we need to do something with the underground, cause otherwise it won't really count i think...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2010, 07:01:20 am »

The staircase I built is just there to help people build higher levels. If it gets in the way of what you want to build, go ahead and remove the parts that are in your way, but try to keep it intact.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13