Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition  (Read 13648 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Competition: Team Skycrashes Home Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 04:16:04 am »

They're elves. I can seize stuff.

I'm working on getting some prepared meals, you know, so they at least can take something away from my fortress.

Mentioning rope reed reminds me that I should probably set up a clothing industry at some point, for trade goods.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:17 am »

I was hoping to find some on the field. But I don't think the biome was wet enough for the damn things to grow. I am not a violent player so I never have Seized anything from Elves, let alone have them attack me, heck I don't even know the first thing of it...

Nearly everytime an Elf Caravan comes, they bring Animals of both Genders so, yeah I never had the... Gah Cloth again... Times...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 04:25:21 am »

You'd like these elves.

They brought a warthog. And a hippo. And three leopards. Their generosity won't go unrewarded. Next year.

Also, I can dig out the moat two levels at a time using ramps by skipping a level. This will leave a floor that will have to be collapsed by controlled cave-in. But it should be twice as fast as digging it out level by level.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 04:29:08 am »

Also, I can dig out the moat two levels at a time using ramps by skipping a level. This will leave a floor that will have to be collapsed by controlled cave-in. But it should be twice as fast as digging it out level by level.
Some reason I saw the words mass destruction in place of Controlled cave-in...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 05:49:10 am »

I'm liking the leaving the ground floor alone.
Spiral rampcase is cool too.

Are we doing this all out of blocks? I noticed them mentioned quite a bit.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 05:58:34 am »

Oh sorry, I like to keep idlers at work by using them to make blocks out of the stone, then use the blocks as building materials for constructions like this, I don't like the idea of Rough Stone walls...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 06:00:46 am »

sounds good to me, I'll try to keep it up on my turn. I've never done that, and it's a good plan.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:17 am »

Makes sense in a way when the Economy comes, if they haven't gotten enough skill to be acutally making things worth wild as a Mason or doing any work, then they are blockmakers and no one goes hungry...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 06:05:40 am »

Trading with the humans went off without a hitch. I've even got some leftover wooden crafts, and I've got cloth crafts on the way for the dwarves in autumn and the elves again in spring.

In a bit of other news, the floor a miner was standing on was channeled from underneath him and he took a little fall, breaking his leg. Luckily, a novice diagnostician arrived at the fortress in a second migrant wave, and I appointed him chief medical officer immediately. A short time later, and after a bit of amateur suturing and bone setting, the miner is back to mining.

Since we're speaking of blocks, I've got about six hundred of them. I'm setting up more masonry shops as we speak.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 06:07:30 am »

Ever gonna get a DFMA of the end of My year???

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 06:07:52 am »

I was lookin' for that.
[/quote]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 06:10:41 am »

Hey, come on, I'm working furiously here. I'll put it up soon.

Also, the chalk block staircase is at the 51st level, and the moat is at 11 levels below ground.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:13:27 am by Jim Groovester »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 06:18:28 am »

I Started digging the moat around halfway through the year, started off with 3 miners who did 3 other things when needed, and only added 3 more to their numbers in Winter... I got through to level 4 with them... And you are only just getting to level 11, what season are you on??? And none of them were legendary either...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 06:22:12 am »

Just started mid-autumn. And they're hard at work digging the place out to the 13th level.

Skipping levels when doing the ramps is speeding up the work pretty quickly, and I've already got the supports set up for the controlled cave-in. I doubt I'll reach 25 below though. I might get lucky. We'll see.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 07:23:23 am »

Just finished trading with the dwarves. It's early winter now.

Is there any special reason why neither the humans nor dwarves brought wagons?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13