Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition  (Read 13638 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Competition: Team Skycrashes Home Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »

Oh glorious happy day!

Now if only I can figure out how to get .31 to properly extract on windows 7 >.<
? I had no trouble with 7zip
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 06:25:20 pm »

Yes! But I am using winrar

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

there you go, then. That's your problem.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 07:49:40 pm »

Right good thing I stuffed up and will need to start again (Caused all three of the miners to be crushed under a tree falling and then it flooded fully...).

So then lets see I will need to get the newest SS so off to the fourms again.
Its really slow for me but I will do so none the less. We are not really looking for Smeltable Ores, mainly cause in the end we are building upwards not downwards, plenty of pitfalls can be used to stop the invaders...

I was thinking of a Ramp center stairwell, I will screenshot it when I start it up. But I like the idea about Donutting the whole fortress, make the outside twist while the center will be still would look epic. I was also thinking about leaving the ground floor (where the Trees and shit grow) alone, building above and below it will give it like a Garden in the center, even better to make it the Statue Garden. Using Thick Pillers (handmade) to hold up the next 75 levels...

Well then I will go get the SS and start taken Screenies, Its really flat, there is only one tile thats one z higher and that is in the very top left corner. The brook hogs about 30 or so tiles in the bottom right and there is a couple of lakes in the Garden area that will look epic, one will even be feed directly into the moat, oh are we gonna fill it, cause if we are, and I get the moat dug out. I will start filling from the brook...

Also there are monkeys (the proper kind) on the map so they might be worth catching, that or I will attempt to make a hunter... You choice...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:52:42 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »

Neyvn, when you start, make a save as soon as you embark. Upload it to the DFFD and then I'll upload that to the DFMA. Maybe make a few stonesense pictures as well.

We'll do this for every year.
Well I will start loading it up, but Stonesense is being weird on my PC so thats a no go...

EDIT//

Here we go Day 1 of the first Year...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2396
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:53:32 pm by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »

I'll do the stonesense screenshots if I'm able. Don't worry about that.

Things sound like they're going well. I can't wait to start my turn and see what you've done so far.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 12:55:55 am »

Almost done the first year...
Tried to get as much dug as I could, turned into only 3 layers. Forgot I had to clear the forest before digging so it stalled me by 2 seasons...

None the less, 15 Dwarves call this place home, dispite the fact there is no place to actually call home. They work at their jobs, most trying to get things done. 6 Dig the moat, 3 being more skilled then the others. We have a Legandary Brewer Come to the Fort from the mountainhomes. He is brewing everything the farmer brings out of the farms. So booze is a plenty. We have a Woodcrafter making bolts and trade goods, and enough shells to last 100moods, if anyone is needing them, there is a highly skilled fisherman and cleaner, USE THEM...

Four Bridges span the moat, north south east and west. Each needing a Mechanic to see to them to make them operational. A small Masons district has been erected outside near the stairwell to bring stone up to be turned into blocks, more people will need to start working there though, a small wall is being built around the West Bridge to prevent anything, untrustworthy from walking into the area...

It would be great to see a Control Room built for all the Levers needed in the Tower, not so that they are placed in weird places about the place...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 01:28:12 am »

And with that, I hand it over to you Jim...

Good luck mate, I wish you well. The Dwarves Stumbled onto some Kobolds so maybe a simple Militia might be worth Setting up during your turn, we have tons of Iron Ore down there and a good amount of Coal aswell, so if you go mining while digging the moat you could easily start up some Metalworks onto Steelmaking and making some Axes or Swords. Those are the best for the Steel weapons, perhaps Spears aswell. But Hammers are better to be made from Silver and same with Mace weaponary...

Dragged up the Gems to the main floor, so if you get a Gem Cutter next wave, set him onto them, they will make some good Trade goods if you don't want to use them straight away...

The Mason District is safe, so you should be able to churn out Blocks like no tomorrow when Migrants come, best set them all to their Militia or Masonary just to be safe...

I think I spent the most time Designing the moat then digging it out, but after you start going for it they dig very quickly. Remember to Channel them and leave the 3 Stairs to the west for access in and out of the moat, make sure you keep the fisherman fishing as he can collect Mussels from the brook and Turtles from the lake, though it seems that you can only get turtles during the warmer seasons. None the less they both give shells which should applease all those who have a hard time getting them...

From the Caravan, I requested Leather at full level each, each of the main Stones and Bars that are worth it, Max of the Misc stuff (Coke, Coal, etc) and I think thats it. They come really late in Autumn so don't panic like I did...

None the less good luck, when anyone is ready to set up Archers, perhaps I could steal the save to set them up unless they want to attempt to unravel my instructions. Archers are better started until AFTER you get the Arsenal Dwarf...

None the less good luck...

((Save coming soon))

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 01:40:29 am »

Done already? That was fast. Once I get the save, I'll begin working.

I can't get Stonesense to work but it looks like they're hammering out the bugs for 31.04, so we should be able to get some pictures of the fort pretty soon.

In the meantime, I've uploaded the initial save to the DFMA. I'll upload Neyvn's work to the place when I get the save, and update the first post with this information.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 01:54:57 am »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 02:10:37 am »

Alright, got the save. And we're off!

Here's what I'm going to try and get done:

• Completely dig out the moat
  • Dig out the cylindrical base, move stockpiles and workshops down there.
  • Keep building Neyvn's Ramp Staircase.
  • Forge some armor and weapons; create a military.
  • Make some sweet entrances.

Alright, that's all I can think of. Wish me luck!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 03:35:48 am »

On the 4th of Felsite, we had our first artifact:

Quote from: Reignboredom the Shred of Amazements
This is a candlenut hatch cover. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated mahogany. On the item is an image of a Longland grass in candlenut. On the item is an image of thin crosses in candlenut.

This artifact is very appropriately named.

Also, migrants. We now have 31 dwarves.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 03:54:14 am »

How many were enlisted to the Militia or the Mason District???

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 04:01:53 am »

Most of them were put on construction duty. (Masonry/carpentry/mechanics/architecture combo. Anything that needs to be built can be built by one dwarf from start to finish.)

A few arrived with basic military skills, and those will be the first ones drafted into the militia. I've got one dwarf working on making steel, and then there's another one who arrived as a competent armorsmith. Once enough steel has been accumulated, I'll put three dwarfs in the militia and make them some armor.

I'm focusing on building up to the 75th and digging out that moat. I'm building a chalk block stairway in the center of the ramp staircase you built; the idea is that once I'm up there it will be easy enough to swap out the up/down staircase for a wall.

Overall, I think I'm making good progress. But the elves just arrived and I don't have anything to trade with them except wooden crafts.

Oh, and a child just got kidnapped. Whoops.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:04:55 am by Jim Groovester »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:17 am »

Oh yeah, elves... Did you not get a Gem Cutter???
Could have cut some of the Gems there and sold that for some seeds needed, ropereed for example...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13