Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition  (Read 13634 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Competition: Team Skycrashes Home Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:35 am »

Well basicly I was thinking about cutting the map into quarters. From these quarters I work out a good amount of distance from the edge, make a 5 tile wide 'moat' and then leave the center open for construction up... I am thinking Circular as I have a simple Gridmap of circles for easy reference. 43 Tiles wide for the base and then leave the acutal building of the rest of the 75 Levels for the builders...

Was gonna clean away the soil over the Tower Spot, carving away so that only soil flooring is there for maximum aboveground farms to be built during construction, leaving the rest for you guys but if you want I will leave it intact...

Well seeing as you are right with the need for miners...

So...

Miners x3
5 Miner / 4 Sub Mechanic/1 Building Designer
5 Miner / 5 Mason
5 Miner / 5 Mason

Woodworkers x 1
5 Woodcutter / 5 Carpenter

Trader x 1
4 Ambusher / 1 Appraise / 1 Record / 1 Judge / 3 Herberlist

Foodie x 1
5 Farming / 2 Fishcleaning / 3 Brewing

Crafter x 1
5 Stone Crafting / 5 Fishing

I agree with your miner thoughts due to the time limit, the woodcutters will sub as Carpenters if I have enough time to start building itself. The Farmer subs as a fishcleaner when he isn't brewing or planting, this is because Fishing will be done by the Crafter at a large amount before devling into the Stoneworks to make some tradegoods. Fishing is the only way to get shells now, but the fact is not many do it these days. I have collected tons of Turtles from almost every map I have been on since the start of the New version. So unless I will be proven wrong this once I might change it...

I will also be taking with us...

Actually I am not sure yet, gonna see whats left first...
Normally I start with an Anvil and make the gear when I get there, it might be cheaper so I will see. Even then we don't need a Master at making weapons cause they are only gonna be used by Glug workers....
I also like to take with me a Cow and a Bull, just to start up the cheese and meat industry a little earlier, they do take longer then dogs to reproduce but they should be worth it. Will also take 3 Bitches and 1 Dog. This should be a good enough amount to start up dog training in the future...
Seeds will not be taken, if needed to grow them, collect them. We are building up so there is little chance of Cavern use, but none the less I will try and capture some if people want it...
Food would be like 3 of each thing in the cow line, this should give us tons of food and barrels right...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:04:12 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 05:59:03 am »

Problem... No Trade Bug...
I will see if a Regen fixes it...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:12 am »

It looks like you've got everything well thought out. I have no objections, so you can start whenever you're ready.

Let's talk goals.

Do you think you might be able to dig out all of the underground portion of the tower in the first year? That might be a goal a little too distant for the first year, but it might be doable. It needs to be done anyway, so shooting for it might not be a bad idea.

Your second goal should just be to set things up.

Are those reasonable goals to accomplish in the first year?

Those things will probably eat up all your time, but if you've got time to spare in the year feel free to do something creative. If you don't get a chance to do something creative you might be able to put something in on your second turn, or somebody can put something in on your behalf.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 06:11:38 am »

Here is my Embark Profile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have yet to regen, doing so now...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 06:17:46 am »

Here is the basic idea of what the base will look like. Adding another 5 tiles around it for the 'moat'...

I should be able to make all those goals easily baring any unfortunate accidents...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 06:23:41 am »

Well Jim, mate, this world is affected by the No Trade bug. Either I take a look around for something like that or I go with a new gen completely. Unphazed here so you decide ol'capitan...
Also to note that the Magical Volcanos civ Flaede wanted to chose... They are dead, wouldn't be getting anything from them anyway so unless you want to play on EXTREME Difficulty...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:27:01 am by Neyvn »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 06:28:29 am »

Well, that's a pain. It looks like the spot I picked doesn't have any trade to it. Other places seem to be just fine.

Alright, finding a new spot.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 06:57:16 am »

Let's avoid embarking from dead civs.

Alright, I think I found a good spot, with roughly similar features as the last one.

Spoiler: Embark Site (click to show/hide)

It's flat everywhere except one tile in the northwest corner. The brook is removed out of the way, better than the previous embark. Most importantly, all civs are present and able to trade.

Oh, and one final note. Remember to name our fortress something cool.

Heh heh, I was just thinking about how awesome it would be to name our fortress Skycrushes (as that's the closest we can get to Skycrashes) and put a giant fist at the top of the tower, like it's punching the sky.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:00:39 am by Jim Groovester »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 07:02:52 am »

No worries will get onto it shortly, was actually gonna call the thing SkyCrushers anywho. Prob go on the same path with the group name...

Anyway...

Gonna start tomorrow. As I am falling asleep at the keyboard atm...

How does The Sacrificial Tower for the group name sound...

The Tower itself is SkyCrushers...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:47:01 am by Neyvn »

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 08:08:17 am »

oh man, gabbro, granite, diorite.... i know that stone layer type. i hate that stone layer type.

no charcoals. ever. just heaps and heaps and heaps of boring gems and unsmeltable metal ores.

huge towers... need lots of dwarves. and stones.

a circular tower with a diameter of 45 tiles. ....... will need more than 1600 stone per z-level. .... we can give it a hollow ring in the middle... and around it a spiraling staircase... circles are a hell to designate but they look pretty.

profile looks good, but i'd recommend giving the trader some doctor skills... i rarely use ambusher/herbalist because usually my 4x5 farm plots overload the stockpiles. with them turned into lavish meals. for 80 dwarves.

.... well hum, for the purposes of making the tower, maybe we should just play the self sufficient fort. traders and tantrum spirals are very related, and very dangerous.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 10:57:24 am »

Man, everything happened after I went to sleep. I don't think the spots I circled are affected by the NO TRADE bug. The Flat one has a brook. I didn't know that was a concern, since the caverns WILL have a decent amount of water.

EDIT: The Magical Volcanoes are dead? dang. Scratch that.
I liked your embark profile, Neyvn. Also, that circle looks awesome. It's the exact size I use for my Awesome Overlapping Ballista Entrance, too.

What's this about the soil layer? If you leave (some?) walls below it, then those tiles will spawn trees after the caverns are breached. I don't know about if not.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:03:24 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »

Neyvn, when you start, make a save as soon as you embark. Upload it to the DFFD and then I'll upload that to the DFMA. Maybe make a few stonesense pictures as well.

We'll do this for every year.

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 05:29:43 pm »

I would like to participate if spots are still available.

Although I am not good at managing large forts... I can learn >.>

I downloaded .31 recently and although I havent tooled around on it that much this sounds like an interesting project.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »

Welcome to the project, Voligne.

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »

Oh glorious happy day!

Now if only I can figure out how to get .31 to properly extract on windows 7 >.<
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13