Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition  (Read 13624 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Team Skycrashes Home Thread: Tower Fortress Competition
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:11:09 pm »

This is Team Skycrashes Home Thread for the discussion of our project in the Tower Fortress Competition. Contained within will be updates of our progress, the current turn, and plans for our Tower.

We now have a full team, so you are welcome to watch our progress as we build our tower.

DFMA LINKS
Embark
Year 1 Completed
Year 2 Utterly Destroyed
Year 2 Completed
Year 3 Completed
Year 4 Completed

DFFD LINKS

Embark
Year 1 Completed
Year 2 Utterly Destroyed
Year 2 Completed
Year 3 Completed
Year 4 Completed
Year 5 Completed
Year 6 Completed

CURRENT TURN

0. Pre-Embark
1. Neyvn
2. Jim Groovester
3. Toady Two
4. Flaede
5. rosedrake
6. Lonewolf I
7. Voligne
8. Barbarossa the Seal God
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:29:19 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Competition: Team Skycrashes Home Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:18 pm »

Reserved.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:14:35 pm »

In my practice Tests...
4/5 Marksdwarf Trainees (No skill) started fireing at the archery Target, 3 are dabbling while 1 is Novice...
Weird things are happening but I think we could have the only tower to have Marksdwarves guarding the walls...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »

In my practice Tests...
4/5 Marksdwarf Trainees (No skill) started fireing at the archery Target, 3 are dabbling while 1 is Novice...
Weird things are happening but I think we could have the only tower to have Marksdwarves guarding the walls...

is a world genned?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:29:35 pm »

Alright, let's get that embark location discussion we were having over PM into here.

You've got your choice of flat forest or tall volcano. what temperature do you like? Most of the options are "heavily wooded with lush vegetation". I didn't completely flood the caverns.

Time to choose: lush forest or side of a volcano.

If we want to be ambitious, let's embark on the volcano and cast something out of obsidian.
If we don't want to be ambitious, let's embark on the pleasant forest.

I vote for lush forest.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »

Forest here too...

No this was just a random world I was using to get some practice in making Marksdwarves...
A hunter went around and shot AND I SAID SHOT AS IN WITH BOLT AND XBOW!!!! some animals...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:52 pm »

So does anyone have a good embark location???

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:49:13 pm »

I SAID SHOT AS IN WITH BOLT AND XBOW!!!! some animals...
I am impressed.

So is that a vote for the nice flat foresty forest? There's always the magma down there... somewhere.

Yes. That's what we're voting on. Forest. Volcano. Obsidian (can't get obsidian and forests very well). Possibly someone chiming in about temperature. It's a large world. It's pretty sweet.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »

Eh, temperature don't matter much to me, so long as it doesn't freeze ever.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »

Eh, temperature don't matter much to me, so long as it doesn't freeze ever.

scorching is is, then. No temperate climes.

EDIT:
I haven't heard from anyone but you, so I'm I'm uploading the world with notes (and screencaps) telling of 3 embark locations:
a flat Tropical Forest
a Volcano Forest
and Evil Evil Desert.
I'm sure there are other locations, it's a big world, but those are the ones that stood out to me as having decent climate, lots of trees and plants, no aquifer, and other things to recommend them. (sand, obsidian, evil evil desertness)

It's in 7zip format over at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2392. Is that ok?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:14:46 am by Flaede »
[/quote]

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 04:34:05 am »

Evil Desert might be good if we are planning on marksdwarf defense.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 04:50:39 am »

Since nobody can make a decision, or give an opinion, I'll pick the embark site. From the world Flaede posted, I found this site.

Spoiler: Embark Site (click to show/hide)

It's completely flat, has one soil layer, has a nice brook that's sort of out the way, it has flux, and it's not exceptionally hostile. It should be pretty workable.

If there are no objections, this is the embark site we will use for our tower.

We should be able to get this thing started pretty soon. Neyvn, since you're playing the first year, take a look at the map and see what kind of equipment and embark profile you'll need. I'll stress having several miners and relatively low amounts of woodcutters or carpenters, but everything else is up to you.

With the addition of a fifth member (and I've got a feeling more will come), I've opened up the last three spots for any volunteers who want to go twice. These will be forfeited to new members when the time comes, obviously.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:56 am »

hee, a brook! and lots of wood. with the current version, we may as well forget about magma... pumping it up 100+ z levels isn't fun.

let's just start there! it's hellish enough getting 12 z-level up in a year. i tried on a freezing arctic sea map, it took me one year just to settle down and make a part of the base floor design.

embark profile should be.... 2 miners+speardwarf, a carpenter+woodcutting, 2 masons+mechanic/smithing, a grower+brewing, a doctor and a cloth craftsman.

needs lots of female dogs and just one male. let's make our own picks and axes....

any idea on design?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 05:27:07 am »

I just need the basic width, I won't be starting on actual constructions but I will dig a wide pit. I was thinking perhaps......... 40x40...

Thats about a Embark square right, using the middle of it if possible...
Circular or square though.???

I will start and build up some foodstocks quickly though...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:11 am »

Before you begin let us know what your embark profile is and what your goals are for the first year.

Having clear goals will help keep you focused and working those seven dwarves hard.

As for the design, it's all up to you. Whatever you decide, produce lots of material.

Oh, and preserve the soil layer as much as possible. I have plans for that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13