Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waterfall vs. Bolts  (Read 2563 times)

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfall vs. Bolts
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »

I just found my dream embark with a massive waterfall that I plan on putting my entrance bridge in front of. I want to hide my dwarfs behind the falls, in alcoves that I will dig, and have them snipe enemies as they cross. I don't know if the falling water is going to effect the bolts and make them inaccurate though. Anyone tested this out yet?
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall vs. Bolts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:59:11 pm »

No, but you must do it. FOR SCIENCE!

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »

The water will fall on the bridge and splash into the cave... Unless your planning another way around this?
I figure this is what your attempting:

~~~~~~~~~
    ~+++++++++
    ~ >ENTRANCE
____~__________
^Bridge

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »

More like:

* *  ~~~~~~~~~
* *                        <== Open space
*   ============
***^Entrance

* Stone
~ Waterfall
= Bridge
- Alcove

Dwarfs stand in the alcove and pew pew thru the falls and across the gap to the bad guys that have to cross the bridge to get to the main entrance to the fort off to the left.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:22:25 pm by ChopperDave »
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »

He's right about the splash. Also consider using fortifications instead of alcoves.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »

I think the falls will be far enough away from the bridge so not to splash(5 tiles.) Is it possible to dig fortifications into damp stone? Does mist pass thru fortifications?

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:10:13 pm »

I think the falls will be far enough away from the bridge so not to splash(5 tiles.) Is it possible to dig fortifications into damp stone? Does mist pass thru fortifications?
Yeah im almost sure it does, but otherwise the water might splash your dwarves and knock them into the water without fortifications is what hes trying to say.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »

Yeah im almost sure it does, but otherwise the water might splash your dwarves and knock them into the water without fortifications is what hes trying to say.

At least they'll die having enjoyed the mist of a waterfall recently.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:18:27 pm »

At least they'll die having enjoyed the mist of a waterfall recently.
Then all their closest friends will enjoy the mist and forget they ever died...

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:20:30 pm »

If it is still able to hit the bridge at that distance the splash could knock people off the bridge as well? Do you know what the safe distance would be from the falls. I could just pull the fortifications back further and clear out the stone in between them and the falls.

*ttttttttt* <= fortifications
*--------* <= splash zone?
~~~~~~~

I just really like the idea of death streaming out of this otherwise pleasant waterfall.
The goblin was comforted by a lovely waterfall lately. He was upset with the bolt protruding from his skull lately.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »

Alright lets say this is your fort:
##########
#+++++++++#
FFFFFFFFFFFF
~~~~~~~~~
^This should work just,as the fortifcations allow them to not get knocked down by the water. Otherwise:
##########
#+++++++++#
~~~~~~~~~
^With this, the water sometimes moves a one space around where it shouldnt, so it could hit a dwarf, and knock him down. You dont have to bring them back in, just have it so it keeps them safe, like rails sort of.

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:22 pm »

Cool. Now to find out if it makes for good target practice or just a viewing gallery for all the nasties coming across my bridge.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »

Cool. Now to find out if it makes for good target practice or just a viewing gallery for all the nasties coming across my bridge.
Oh i see now, you are going to have your bridge go past like this:

######
                 #++++#
                 FFFFFFF

=============================
Right?

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:05 pm »

Exactly.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:46:38 pm »

I thought you meant the bridge was going INTO the waterfall, so thats why the water would splash onto it. But the fortifications are still recommended, unless you want to teach your dwarves some last minutes swimming skill before they get shredded by carp...
Pages: [1] 2