Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: RTD: Hell Desk  (Read 44003 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Hell Desk
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2010, 05:41:38 am »

>Keep looking.

Don't you think the robot would have found it if there was one around here?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:28 am »

>Keep looking.

Don't you think the robot would have found it if there was one around here?

The robot could easily have gotten a 2...
Eh?
Eh!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2010, 11:17:51 am »

My worry is that the robot will go over to the dark side should we revive him.  Much safer to just try to get the generator running again.

Use stuff lying around to make an improvised solar cell.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:41 am »

My worry is that the robot will go over to the dark side should we revive him.  Much safer to just try to get the generator running again.

He's only half-sentient, he can't really do anything but follow orders...

Of course, he tries to keep himself running and all, but that's only because he needs to be running to do his job. If you told him to jump out the window, he'd gladly do so.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:30 pm »

Yes, that's the problem; following orders of the newly-awoken skynet would turn out poorly for us, don't you think?  Especially if this is a guard-robot.  Unless all it has is audio and visual input, which would make it impossible for skynet to hack it.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2010, 01:44:45 pm »

Depending on it's audio range, it would be possible to give it orders in a far higher frequency than the average human can hear...
Eh?
Eh!

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:41 am »

I apologize for the delay, gone for a short travel in the weekend.
Find something edible to eat, and keep an eye on the robot.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2010, 11:17:32 am »

Yes, that's the problem; following orders of the newly-awoken skynet would turn out poorly for us, don't you think?  Especially if this is a guard-robot.  Unless all it has is audio and visual input, which would make it impossible for skynet to hack it.

It isn't hooked up to a network. Even if it was, they usually only take orders given in person. You wouldn't want your guardbots taking orders from just any guy with a microphone and an internet connection, would you?

Also, it isn't quite Skynet you're dealing with. It's just one AI who links all these computers into a single distributed supercomputer. He can only do one thing at a time, and he's rather full of himself, so he's not going to go around picking the brain of every robot on the planet. He's an old character I use repeatedly, and his main problem is underestimating whatever he's decided to persecute today.

Speaking of internet connections, some genius has decided to slice the cable that provides my internet service, so I'll only be able to check the forums sporadically.

EDIT:

Aaannd... the cable company hooked it back up. Yay!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:05:43 pm by Schilcote »

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2010, 03:33:39 pm »

Flintus: Staying the hell away from the windows I will catch up to the others. 
Qwertyuiopas: Keep looking.
Nuker: Try and make a bomb big enough to blow a wall down.
Toaster: I push the robot over to his own recharge station.  If it won't work for him any more, I try to adapt it so it does.
Frelock: Use stuff lying around to make an improvised solar cell.
NoctisVampire: Find something edible to eat, and keep an eye on the robot.

Flintus: 4

Staying weary of those accursed glass portals to the abyss, you walk around aimlessly.

Qwertyuiopas: 3

You find a fully-charged AAAA battery, containing about 10 units of power.

Nuker: 1

Having more or less absolutely no idea what you're doing, you decide to mix some yellowish stuff from a bottle labled "HNO3", some clear, odorless liquid from a bottle labled "H2SO4", and a bottle of "Glycerine".
You begin stirring the solution.
*BOOM*

Roll to dodge: Flintus: 5 Qwertyuiopas: 2 Nuker: 6 Toaster: 4 Frelock: 2 NoctisVampire: 6

Bits of metal detritus strike Qwertyuiopas and Frelock, breaking both of their legs. Everyone else, miraculously including Nuker, are more or less unharmed.

Toaster: 5

You drag the old robot to his charging station. Finishing the adaptations he was making to himself, you plug him in and the charging light on the station lights up.
Blinkenlights on the robot's front panel begin to light up. The robot begins recailibrating its speech networks.
"Calibration complete. CMOS reset detected. Estimating downtime from polonium-210  battery decay... Polonium battery 100% decayed into 206 Pb. Downtime > 250 days."
A gear from Nuker's explosion whizzes past you at high speed.

Frelock: 5

You solder together some old solar panels to make a solar cell (recharges 10 units of power per turn).

NoctisVampire: 3

Looking around, you find a bag of sugar. You consume the entire bag. You are no longer hungry.

Power:

Flashlight (Noctis)
496 units (2 D-cells, 1.5V)

Flashlight (Toaster)
496 units (2 D-cells, 1.5V)

ColdHeat (Frelock)
49 units (1 AA rechargable, 1.5V)

ColdHeat (Nuker)
49 units (1 AA rechargable, 1.5V)

Multifunction Calculator & Battery Charger

Not plugged in to mains.
1980 units (Rechargable, 12V)

AAAA battery (qwerty)
10 units (12V)

Health:

Qwertyuiopas & Frelock: Both legs broken.

Inventory:

Frelock: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, multifunction calculator/battery charger, Swiss Army Knife, ColdHeat, Battery, Universal Screwdriver, hand-crank recharger.
+1 Hardware & Network Maintainance
+1 Basic Electronics and Soldering
+1 Improvisation

Toaster: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Wooden LART, power drill, cat5, jar of thermite, and speaker wire.
+1 Programming/scripting
+1 Observance
+2 Melee weapons (Includes Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool)

NoctisVampire: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Swiss Army Knife.
+1 Programming/Scripting
+1 Improvisation
+1 Charisma/personality

Flintus10: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Walther P99, Univeral Screwdriver, very old label maker.
+1 Lockpicking
+1 Hardware and network matainance
+1 Handguns

Nuker w: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, ColdHeat, Battery, Universal Screwdriver rust, some ground aluminum, some matches, some diesel fuel in a jar, a jar full of potassium nitrate stump remover.

+1 Hardware & network maintainance
+1 Programing/scripting
+1 Basic Electronics & Soldering

Qwertyuiopas: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Swiss Army Knife, Universal Screwdriver. AAAA battery.
+1 Programming/scripting
+1 Hardware & network maintainance (comes with a Universal Screwdriver)
+1 Improvisation (includes Futuristic Swiss Army Knife)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2010, 04:50:00 pm »

>Use tie to counter leg break.
Eh?
Eh!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2010, 07:29:52 pm »

Desperately search for something I can use as a firearm even if it fires staples.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:36 pm »

Continue looking around for useful stuff that could improve the function of my Swiss Army Knife.
Follow others if they decide to move, and be aware of the situation all the time.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 02:32:12 am »

Improvise an exoskeleton for my broken legs.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 02:54:52 pm »

Flintus, you have a pistol.

So much for the robot.  I guess don't have to feel bad about trying to screw with it.

I try to make its charging station mobile, so it can charge and work at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:44:12 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:04 pm »

So much for the robot.  I guess don't have to feel bad about trying to screw with it.

What?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32