Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: RTD: Hell Desk  (Read 43959 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Hell Desk
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:44 pm »

I look for the user in question, and attempt to troubleshoot.  And by troubleshoot, I mean help put out the damn fire.

*sings "We didn't start the fire"*
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 02:13:31 am »

Improvise a simple battery charger
All generalizations are false....including this one.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 02:52:08 am »

I am a rocket scientiest (ok, so I technically I work on spacecraft instruments, not rockets) and a mathematician, but I have no talent at all for puzzles.  I'll leave it for someone else to discover.

what???

i thought you were a philosopher frelock
ohhhhhh yeah its just your skills.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 02:56:03 am »

1.Stablize the mental condition of the user(s) in question:"Look, we are here, there will be no problem, we'll take over, stop screaming, we're cool right?"
2. Put out the fire of the printer in question with my makeshift fire extinguisher, take special care of the amount of CO2 released, to prevent suffocation by CO2 poisoning.

EDIT: Action change: Try to put out the fire with my makeshift fire extinguisher, take special care of not getting burnt too much in the way. Also call whoever must be doing this with cellphone.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:16:33 am by NoctisVampire »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 03:00:58 am »

Yea, I haven't changed that thing since freshman year of college when I had no clue as to what I wanted to do.  I suppose I should get around to doing that. 

However, I do enjoy Philosophy; Plato's on my bookshelf next to my abstract algebra and astrobiology textbooks.  Next to those is Machiavelli's The Prince, followed by Bartlett's familiar quotations, R.L. Stephenson's The Black Arrow, Modern Latin America, The Brothers Karamazov, The Poetic Edda, The Icelandic Sagas, Man's Search for Meaning, my old Redwall collection, and a few ancient and never-looked at Disney autograph books from my and my siblings' 5th birthdays.  And that's just the top shelf.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 06:08:15 am »

1.Stablize the mental condition of the user(s) in question:"Look, we are here, there will be no problem, we'll take over, stop screaming, we're cool right?"
2. Put out the fire of the printer in question with my makeshift fire extinguisher, take special care of the amount of CO2 released, to prevent suffocation by CO2 poisoning.

He begins smothering flames near the door with the C02.

Maybe I didn't make it too explicitly clear, but the fire has spread from the printer to other things. The scream you heard was coming from someone burning to death in there. Guess who's going to have to clean him up, since the fire came from a printer.
Yea, I haven't changed that thing since freshman year of college when I had no clue as to what I wanted to do.  I suppose I should get around to doing that. 

However, I do enjoy Philosophy; Plato's on my bookshelf next to my abstract algebra and astrobiology textbooks.  Next to those is Machiavelli's The Prince, followed by Bartlett's familiar quotations, R.L. Stephenson's The Black Arrow, Modern Latin America, The Brothers Karamazov, The Poetic Edda, The Icelandic Sagas, Man's Search for Meaning, my old Redwall collection, and a few ancient and never-looked at Disney autograph books from my and my siblings' 5th birthdays.  And that's just the top shelf.

The closest thing on my bookshelf to philosophy is "Think Big and KICK ASS" by Donald Trump. It's mostly science fiction, programming manuals, and a few For Dummies books that I picked up because I was bored out of my mind.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:12:30 am by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 06:35:49 am »

Continue looking
Eh?
Eh!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 06:40:42 am »

Also call whoever must be doing this with cellphone.

Huh?
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 07:31:08 am »

Huh?
We've got no other departments like security and maintaince around...? Cancel the action with cellphone if so.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 07:48:21 am »

Huh?
We've got no other departments like security and maintaince around...? Cancel the action with cellphone if so.

The fire came from a printer, so it's a problem with the printer. Tech support fixes problems with printers.
It's not supposed to make sense. The thing is, you're in an office building so tall the upper levels need to be pressurized. With that many electronic devices, you can bet that one machine is going to be catastrophically failing (engineering term that basically means "exploding") every few minutes.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 10:51:59 am »

Turn 3:

Toaster: I look for the user in question, and attempt to troubleshoot.  And by troubleshoot, I mean help put out the damn fire.
Frelock: Improvise a simple battery charger
Qwerty: Continue looking
Noctis: Try to put out the fire with my makeshift fire extinguisher, take special care of not getting burnt too much in the way.
Nuker: Code a quick program to search for damages.
Flintus10(GM'd): Rescue burning pepole.

Noctis lets Toaster and Flintus handle rescue operations while he attempts to put out the flames. It appears that the printer was ignited by a paper jam causing friction against the laser drum, igniting the toner and paper... but when the paper jams the drum should stop so this dosn't happen...
Frelock, feeling bored and useless, uses some transformers and capacitors from the VU meter to integrate a battery-operated battery charger into his voltmeter (can transfer power from one battery to another, as well as plug into the wall and charge any type of battery in a few turns). He decides that while he's doing nothing important he might as well integrate a calculator and a tone generator in as well.
Qwerty continues to examine the blades. Nothing obvious is wrong... but something dosn't feel right. The fans are too loud...
Nuker goes all code-wizard on the terminal and writes a diagnostic program. It reports no hardware or configuration problems.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 01:23:09 pm »

Unplug the printer, using the LART so I don't shock myself.

Data center team- Check the AC if the fans are all spinning up.  You don't want that to go.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »

Investigate weird fan-noise.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 01:38:33 pm »

Something must be using excess processing power.
>Quickly check for unauthorized processes.
Eh?
Eh!

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 07:09:29 pm »

"Did someone lock them up to calculate to the last digit of Pi, and print them out?"
Help with the rescue effort and extinguish all signs of fire left, let Toaster disconnect the printer.
"They didn't use nitrocellulose to make their paper right?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32