Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves Wiped out  (Read 2615 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Dwarves Wiped out
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »

Just genned a world to 1031, i start and find out that all 4 dwarf civs have been wiped out by humans. i've got my starting 7, plus 10 migrants that have arrived, but i don't think I'm getting any more. this is in.04, so i'm a bit more worried than if this was 40d.

any tips for surviving?

also, the elves are down to 2 forest retreats, having been wiped out by those same humans. thankfully, these elves bring me sunberries
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Wiped out
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:44:26 pm »

Did you get a dwarf caravan?  If you did, you'll get migrants.  If not, then you'll have to grow your population the old-fashioned way and try to bring the world's dwarf population back up.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:49:20 pm »

You'll never get any more migrants after the initial two waves in summer and fall.

No caravans
no nobles
elves only
Final destination.
And no matter how big a fortress you make, abandoning/losing a settlement will not allow your civilization to be reconstructed. Sad really.

Now, how did you get a world to run up to 1031? I've never genned a world past 508, and that was a medium realm where everyone died from titans/mega-beasts and there was nothing but ruins, the game always crashes, usually in the 300s. Do I just have too little ram to handle anything past a pocket dimension at 4gb?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:51:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:59:11 pm »

I Genned a world up to 9999 years. It was like the Elven Planet. They attacked everything and most of the heroic people were elves. There are only two things that are not elven. The Underground cavern, and a ONE dwarven city that is deeply in war with the Elves. Reading the legends, the dwarfs and the elves started the war around 237. there first fight was not until 347, after 347 all other civilizations seemed to attack the elves, after that, he elves managed to overcome everyone except this one dwarven city. The civilization is, 'The Palisade dwellers' They did lose two city's, but this ONE city has been through everything from 1-9999. The civilization has attacked the elves all around them. The city was only attacked twice. One time by the Cyclops that managed to kill about three Citizens, a Brewer, a Peasant, and the Kings Sister or daughter, I forgot, I am sorry! Anyway, The Dwarven city seems to be flourishing in people and nothing seems to break there courage. I dunno if I should even embark. If I do, I am bringing two Dwarven Marksdwarfs. The longer the Gen is, the waaaaay more interesting the game gets!

Anyone else get this strange apocalypse of Elves?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:05:38 pm »

Wall off the outside world. Do not breach the caverns, or if you do, wall the caverns off.

Create a 1x1 meeting zone and set up a well and a farm. Let them drink water while growing plump helmets. This gives them plenty of idle time where they can socialize in that 1x1 meeting zone.

Within a few years your fortress should be crawling with bearded babies.  :D

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:06:30 pm »

Just genned a world to 1031, i start and find out that all 4 dwarf civs have been wiped out by humans. i've got my starting 7, plus 10 migrants that have arrived, but i don't think I'm getting any more. this is in.04, so i'm a bit more worried than if this was 40d.

any tips for surviving?

also, the elves are down to 2 forest retreats, having been wiped out by those same humans. thankfully, these elves bring me sunberries

I think it's pretty much your duty to post this world for others.

Sounds like a pretty awesome challenge. Refugee dwarves, restoring the dwarven race.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:17:31 pm »

I Genned a world up to 9999 years. It was like the Elven Planet. They attacked everything and most of the heroic people were elves. There are only two things that are not elven. The Underground cavern, and a ONE dwarven city that is deeply in war with the Elves. Reading the legends, the dwarfs and the elves started the war around 237. there first fight was not until 347, after 347 all other civilizations seemed to attack the elves, after that, he elves managed to overcome everyone except this one dwarven city. The civilization is, 'The Palisade dwellers' They did lose two city's, but this ONE city has been through everything from 1-9999. The civilization has attacked the elves all around them. The city was only attacked twice. One time by the Cyclops that managed to kill about three Citizens, a Brewer, a Peasant, and the Kings Sister or daughter, I forgot, I am sorry! Anyway, The Dwarven city seems to be flourishing in people and nothing seems to break there courage. I dunno if I should even embark. If I do, I am bringing two Dwarven Marksdwarfs. The longer the Gen is, the waaaaay more interesting the game gets!

Is the city surrounded by mountains or otherwise cutoff? Civilizations outside their little corner will never be able to attack it.

It happens about 1/4 of the time. There always seems to be a few dominant civilizations that eclipse all the others, it's usually the humans with their numbers+power, but if the elves for some reason get a head start the elvenocalypse is a guarantee. An elvenocalypse could never happen in a large world because they don't build outside their initial forest, and thus can't extend past the general region. At least from a single civ, it could happen if you're unlucky and every elven civ becomes dominant and have particularly vast forests. In even a medium world though I've had it happen. (actually by the year 100 there's rarely more than one civilization left alive.) Goblins and dwarves seem utterly defenseless on the scale of civilizations, Maybe it's because they refuse to build anywhere but in the mountains, and then reproduce infrequently.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:23:55 pm »

any tips for surviving?

I think it's pretty much your duty to post this world for others.

Sounds like a pretty awesome challenge. Refugee dwarves, restoring the dwarven race.

Right, now where can i find said gen info?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 05:28:15 pm »

Is the city surrounded by mountains or otherwise cutoff? Civilizations outside their little corner will never be able to attack it.

It happens about 1/4 of the time. There always seems to be a few dominant civilizations that eclipse all the others, it's usually the humans with their numbers+power, but if the elves for some reason get a head start the elvenocalypse is a guarantee. An elvenocalypse could never happen in a large world because they don't build outside their initial forest, and thus can't extend past the general region. At least from a single civ, it could happen if you're unlucky and every elven civ becomes dominant and have particularly vast forests. In even a medium world though I've had it happen. (actually by the year 100 there's rarely more than one civilization left alive.) Goblins and dwarves seem utterly defenseless on the scale of civilizations, Maybe it's because they refuse to build anywhere but in the mountains, and then reproduce infrequently.

Just wait until Toady programs the elves to plant trees and expand outside their normal forest.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:59:48 pm »

Since humans already deforest, it should provide for very interesting effects.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:20:47 pm »

Since humans already deforest, it should provide for very interesting effects.

wars starting over a human accidentally stepping on an elf's favorite sapling, maybe?

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:34:21 pm »

It was on a Mountain, it was in the middle-ish top-left.

This is the first time I have seen elves become Dominant. Humans never seem to get to far when I Gen, there also aren't many historical Humans in my world Either. In the current world, there are 4 Historical Human characters. This is not the first time an Elvenopcalypse I have seen, it is one of the most interesting. It is a medium world by the way. the reason I Genned a 9999 year old Gen is I wanted to see how long it would take for all the megabeast to die. Taking a estimate, about 20 percent-ish died. Most were by Dwarven People, but there was quite a bit of Elven too! The thing is that this civilization of dwarfs had only made three city's? I wonder why, but if Toady one added more stuff in for ages of citys, I would say that this civilization have a floating fortress with a gold-plated statues to its entryway or something that looks like the city has been around for 9999 and seems to be running smoothly well. Anyway, if I was an Elven Leader, I would say that the Elven Leader is getting the biggest army and is planning to do a full assault on the fort, but elves are random so you never know what is going on.

ALSO
They did capture two elven city's that are, quite close to this one Dwarven-mountain-home that is no more. So maybe there is more hope than just this one city.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:26:09 pm »

Just wait until Toady programs the elves to plant trees and expand outside their normal forest.
Heh, elves in some mountain area, I can see them terracing a dwarven mountain range into some forest ^_^
Story of my life.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

Heh, elves in some mountain area, I can see them terracing a dwarven mountain range into some forest ^_^

or building a tunnel through the mountains guarded by three gates, leading to a beautiful city graced by two trees, one made of gold and one made of silver

wait, wrong elves

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »

well, a double goblin ambush just took out the elf caravan. fortunately, all 17 of my dwarves escaped. now, all the goblins are trapped in one of the above-ground sections of my fort. i plan to flood it and try to drown them
Pages: [1] 2