Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Chrononauts - The reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.  (Read 8481 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Chrononauts
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 03:42:19 pm »

In other words, we're living time machines. Like the one in a Stanislaw Lem short - its inventor went 50 years ahead to see his own future, and died of old age while travelling.

Technically though, won't it mean that normally time-affected inanimate objects will suffer too? Radioactives will degrade, for example.

(ninja edit) And I suppose this means we won't be able to kill another timelord this way, since we'd be just doing something for him, instead of to him.

As for holding in hands, the most reliably sane explanation would be "anything you can hold without letting it touch something else". Which would mean we'd rapidly run out of shoes...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:44:07 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »

In other words, we're living time machines. Like the one in a Stanislaw Lem short - its inventor went 50 years ahead to see his own future, and died of old age while travelling.

Technically though, won't it mean that normally time-affected inanimate objects will suffer too? Radioactives will degrade, for example.

(ninja edit) And I suppose this means we won't be able to kill another timelord this way, since we'd be just doing something for him, instead of to him.
Objects might not degrade just for the sake of playability, just like how we always end up in a good place dispite the fact that we'd actually end up someplace in space if we really were time traveling.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:44 pm »

As I have said many times, the chrononauts are not affected by the flow of time, so no. You can de-age any normal people though. Also, you have to be able to lift an object to take it with you. Any clothing will go with you. 

As well, travelers cannot be telefragged. This was in the OP.

e: I said in my my last post that inanimate objects will not be affected.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:16:35 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 05:22:29 pm »

As I have said many times, the chrononauts are not affected by the flow of time, so no. You can de-age any normal people though. Also, you have to be able to lift an object to take it with you. Any clothing will go with you. 

As well, travelers cannot be telefragged. This was in the OP.

e: I said in my my last post that inanimate objects will not be affected.
I was responding to sean's question of "Why not?"

Also, does this mean that time travelers don't age? Not effected by time as you said.

And when I say telefrag I mean, Imagine if you are holding a long pole out in front of you could you teleport in and have that appear in a normal person or a time traveler?

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »

Are you going to put all the players in a list on the first post, Squeeg?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »

Okay, I compiled a list of events. Keep in mind that not all of these events have to be prevented or changed to alter the course of history and stop the Disaster. New players can still join before all of the actions are sent in and I've posted the turn. Please PM me your actions.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:52:04 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Squeegy, remember, you have to set it to allow PMs to be sent to you.

YOu probably already know, bvut i wanted to make sure.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

In, as:

Character Sheet:
Name: Sique Malade
Nationality: Francais
Description: A french extreme-left-wing revolutionary. Was a member of several marxist and trotskiist groups, held political meetings, and even joined in a terrorist attack or two (for USians: terrorists in Europe are quite normal). In his spare time, he performs as a mime. Likes frogs for their delicious legs. Is wearing dirty clothes, and a beret. Dislikes stereotypes.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You... realize that's on by default, right?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

No, because it isnt.

Or, wasnt, It's currently automatically set to only allow PMs from Admins right now, unless he repaired it.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it's not. I've been receiving and sending PMs just fine. I even checked, it's set to Allow All.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Huh, Toady must've fixed it.

Carry on.

EDIT: Here's the announcement, to prove i am sane.http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57599

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To clarify, there are no time traveling machines. It does not exist, it never existed. You can only time travel because it is a supernatural ability.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Any machine you hold on to while time traveling becomes a time traveling machine *Rimshot*

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any machine you pick up while time traveling is a time traveling machine.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5