Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Chrononauts - The reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.  (Read 8476 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

(No, this is not the popular card game. Also a parallel Agora RP.)

In the year 2050, a disastrous and unspecific disaster occurred (or, more accurately, ended) that wiped out the entire human race off the face of the earth. It was uncreatively called the Great Disaster, because only eleven people survived it.

Those eleven people are you.

You are a representative from one of the 11 major countries: Canada, America, Mexico, Brazil, Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, Australia. You have been supernaturally endowed with the amazing ability to travel through time at will, taking anything you are carrying with you. You are able to travel back as far as the 1700s. You will appear in the exact same place, except in that year (unless there is a building or object in the way, in which case you will be moved a bit away rather than telefragged). You have that entire timestream to work with. (The actual cause of the disaster will be provided in the post below and changed as the timestream is cut and patched.)

Your ultimate goal:
Prevent society from being destroyed (and maybe cut your country a bigger slice of the pie while you're at it). The time travelers will not be working together, unless they choose to. You can write your character in English, but they are speaking their native language.

As time travelers, you are immune to the changing of time. There is no time limit, and you have literally all the time in the world. If you are in a timestream that is changed, for example, Phily is blown up in the 1700s and you are in Phily in the 1800s. It is like a wave of silence and blackness and then the world is completely different.

TO ADDRESS TIME PARADOXES:
There can never be two of the same time traveler in the same place. If he teleports to where he was, he will not be there. But he will be there, because he teleported there.
To use an example:
The American time traveler, These Colors Don't Run, and the German time traveler, Fur das Vaterland, get in a fight. Fur das Vaterland hears him rummaging around in a file cabinet, comes in, beats him up, and runs off. Colors is not happy about this, and decides to come back and help himself win the fight. He travels back, Fur das Vaterland comes in, beats him up again, and now he's in the same position except worse off. Colors is even less happy about this. He travels forward in time, gets a gun, and comes back. He waits. Fur das Vaterland never comes. Color was waiting around the corner the whole time, Fur das Vaterland never heard him, he never came in and they never fought.

But. What if investigating the files was part of Fur das Vaterland's mission objective all along? He would walk in either way. So Color sets up an ambush. But there are things called 'time memories' (named by the time travelers). Fur das Vaterland remembers vaguely the events that never happened, because they happened. As he is walking down the hallway, he remembers the shuffling of papers that isn't there. As he opens the door, he remembers the hasty slamming shut of a filing cabinet, even though no such sound is emitted. As he walks in, he remembers seeing Color here, he remembers the fight. If Color shoots him anyway, too bad, so sad, you really should've expected it. However, he can instantly jump to a different year, and Color will lose him. If he remembers Color setting up the ambush, decides to get revenge, gets prepared, and goes back, he can kill Color. But, Color has a time memory of him vanishing. Hell, he doesn't even have a time memory, he saw him. He knows he'll be back. He can travel back a few hours and fortify the building. He can jump all over time and set up turrets and shit (although it would take more than one turn, even though the battle would end up the same). If Fur das Vaterland walks into that it is his own fault.

In short, the only way to kill a time traveler is to do it the first time.

Now, you could abuse your time travel powers to flash forward and backward instantaneously in a single second. However, time traveling is a disorienting business, since it involves the entire scene around you changing. Doing it over and over again back and forth in a single second would make your vision blur and blend together and give you the killer headache from Hell. You could indeed hold those two seconds, but you could not do anything with them. To everyone else, it would look like you were there for a second and then vanished.

RULES:
The game will be done in turns. You will PM me what year you want to go to and what you want to do there. When all the turns are submitted, I will compile a post of what the results are. Don't expect too frequent updates. You can, optionally, post a paragraph of what you are doing in the IC thread. Do not sign up to join this RP if you are not going to be prompt with your turns.

Character Sheet:
Name:
Nationality:
Description:

Example:
Name: John Frotz
Nationality: Canada
Description: John Frotz is an average-built man in his thirties. He has the supernatural ability to travel through time. He is a good-natured guy who wants what is best for himself, his country, and the world. He is straightforward and honest.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:52:33 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chrononauts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Timeline
September 3rd, 1783: American Revolutionary War ends.
November 11th, 1918: Germany surrenders in the Treaty of Versailles.
October 1917: Russian Revolution replaces Provisional Government with the Soviet Union.
October 29, 1922: Mussolini establishes a fascist government in Italy.
1926: Albert Einstein lays the foundation for the nuclear bomb.
1936: Francisco Franco's Spanish Revolution.
1948: Israel declares independence.
1949: The communist Chinese People's Republic is formed.
1998: The Second Congo War begins.
2000: A secretive underground society is formed in an unknown place.
Septermber 11th, 2001: A hijacked airplane is flown into the World Trade Center.
April 10th, 2010: Polish president Lech Kaczynski and 96 others perish in a plane crash in western Russia.
May 20th, 2010: North Korea sinks a South Korean warship.
2021: North Korea declares war on South Korea.
2049: Nuclear barrages finally cease as automatic systems fizzle out.

Great Disaster: Occurred.
Chrononauts: Born.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:40:40 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:18 pm »

Step 1: Travel back in time and kill the parents of the other players
Step 2: Kill leaders of every major country except your own over and over until nation falls apart
Step 3: return to your now globe spanning empire and tell them all to duck before plot convenient disaster
Step 4: Win game.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »

No.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »

I don't see why not

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:24:43 pm »

Osbert "Jakkarra" Shaffer
Male
English
"Jakkarra" is a slightly built man in a black pinstriped suit, Black pinstriped Shirt, Black leather waistcoat and white tie, and a Black Bowler hat with a dark green band around it. Somehow, he can travel through time, it does not constrain him. Apparantly. He used to work in a MI6 facility researching chronoporting technology, and was in a testing chamber when the disaster hit, He awoke in 1969 in Dallas.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:51:00 pm by Jakkarra »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »

Aw, no South Africa?  :P Oh well, will be watching, I don't think my history fu is good enough to take part.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:30:49 pm »

1. You don't know where their parents are or what year.
2. You start with only yourself and no weapons.
3. That doesn't even make sense.
4. No.

Please stop trying to shit up my game, or at least be more creative about it.

Aw, no South Africa?  :P Oh well, will be watching, I don't think my history fu is good enough to take part.

Sorry, I came up with the countries off the top of my head. Also, you don't need to be good at history, some of the events are even made up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:33:46 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:36:45 pm »

1. You don't know where their parents are or what year.
2. You start with only yourself and no weapons.
3. That doesn't even make sense.
4. No.

Please stop trying to shit up my game, or at least be more creative about it. 
1.Google
2.Buy one or alternately just hit them with a rock
3.Oh I bet it would demoralize them a fair bit and allow our country to overtake them. Imagine if every time a president was elected a man popped into the room, shot him and disappeared. We'd fall into chaos eventually.
4. Yes

Not trying to shit it up, if I was trying to do that then I'd just start playing and repeatedly abuse the game. Just pointing out that you're going to more then likely have problems with such loose rules.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 01:37:47 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll try then, though I fail to see how MEXICO of all places is considered more important than South Africa? Yeah, no one really cares about us do they?

Name: Piet Pompies
Nationality: South Africa Japan
Description: A middle aged japanese guy who was planning to retire to sunny South Africa when the disaster hit. May have ambitions to take over the world. Also has time travelling powers but that's not really important.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:40:22 pm by Demonic Spoon »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:42:20 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll try then, though I fail to see how MEXICO of all places is considered more important than South Africa

Because mexico isn't famous for racial segregation. Just tacos and terrible water.  :D

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 01:42:33 pm »

History doesn't work like that. The world has ended. Also, you do not know their names unless they tell you. I won't have problems with people doing shit like that because they are people, not gods. Besides, there are 10 other time travelers to stop you. 
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll try then, though I fail to see how MEXICO of all places is considered more important than South Africa

Because mexico isn't famous for racial segregation. Just tacos and terrible water.  :D

Like we were the only ones that did that...   :-\

(Kidding, kidding)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:48:45 pm by Demonic Spoon »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »

you do not know their names unless they tell you
Mr & Mrs Pompies

Mr & Mrs Shaffer

Just saying.

We'll see if it goes alright, but I'll just reiterate that I foresee problems.

History doesn't work like that. The world has ended.

Not sure what you mean by that. If these guys survived then there must be a way for others to do so. Or better yet why not just try to stop the disaster? Unless its just being used as a plot convenience.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:06:00 pm »

The goal is to prevent the Disaster while changing history in your favor. Also that is OOC information.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5