Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions to eliminate migrants...  (Read 2701 times)

void

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for suggestions to eliminate migrants...
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:35:50 pm »

...reliably and quickly, since neither POPULATION_CAP nor NO-DWARF-WORLD appears to be working at this moment.

There are some ways that I can think myself like a drowning room but I've always run into problems like how to force these migrants into such a trap room and keep them there long enough while avoid other curious dwarves peek'in before they get to know each other.

I hope there're some proved designs that are...

1. Simple enough (to the extend that it can be built by the first summer, with only basic stones and a few woods & their products available)
2. Reliable enough (so that it'll only kill migrants. To make it simpler, assume that if I want to remove a migrant I would actually try to remove the whole wave altogether i.e. no A Lives B Dies messy)
3. Fast enough (ideally within one week upon migrants' arrival)

Any ideas?

(I can't really afford to have near 40 migrants by the end of first year thanks to the value bug...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:38:23 pm by void »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions to eliminate migrants...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:33 pm »

create a "waiting room" with many sections rigged for cave ins. preferably natural rock.

Hygrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:41:22 pm »

Do what eagle_eye suggested but put drawbridges in instead, and atomsmash those migrants.

void

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:44:55 pm »

create a "waiting room" with many sections rigged for cave ins. preferably natural rock.

Thanks, but Pets will go to the meeting area too and that I'd like to avoid (which is why the meeting sewer idea was dismissed at the first place)
And if possible, I dont want to create any cave in (not until I dig empty the entire -35, I think)...

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:51:16 pm »

hmm... magma is ALWAYS good

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:32 am »

A long hallway with doors or bridges at both ends.  migrants go in, doors all get shut, atomsmashers start, water pumped in, release the goblin prisoners, whatever.  Easy.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:39:08 am »

You could channel around your fortress to keep migrants out and pets in.  Combine with an airlock for the trade depot, if needed.  Keep the drawbridge up, and define a temporary meeting area under the atom smasher when migrants show up.  Remove the meeting area after the migrants have "left" and you won't have to worry about pets getting in trouble when you lower the bridge to get wood or sell those bins full of -gabbro mugs- for *steel bolts [25]*.

hmm... magma is ALWAYS good

Except by the time you mine down to it, build the pumps to bring it up, and the proper reception area for new arrivals you'll already have a baron or better.  void wants something quick, probably w/o devoting all 7 dorfs labor for 2-3 years.  Hence, channels instead of walls, a couple of drawbridges, and a temporary meeting area.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:19:55 am »

Meeting areas attract all pets. OP wants to remove just migrants (and possibly the pets they bring) without killing the pets he already has. So he needs a burrow, not a temporary meeting zone. Drawbridge or spike trap if you prefer to salvage the clothes migrants bring.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Thsyrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:27:44 am »

Expand your military  :P

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:22 am »

Pets swim, migrants don't.

Z3:   ^.
Z2:/###
Z1:####@#

^. = plate + 1 tile drawbridge
@ = 7/7 water, open to air
/ = ramp

Put a meeting zone over the bridge.  "Useful" dwarves are assigned to a burrow or otherwise kept away from the area.  If you want to be extra sure that the migrants won't come back, make the ramp one-way by building it under a constructed floor and then removing the floor.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:55 am »

You can try my current tactic of choice - the "Desert Island" approach.

I've a pregenned world I can give you with the possibility of a 9x9 embark site with a 7 tile island at the center, completely surrounded by ocean... no land border: no migrants. Also, no caravans, and probably no seiges.

Only problem: it runs at 8-12 fps from embark on my netbook due to intense fluids...

I'm trying to gen a better archipelago, though.
This space unintentionally left blank.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:27:19 am »

oooooo i know i had a set up with an air lock

i had a atom smashing room set as a meeting hall and had it on the outside of air locks and when i had migrants i let them walk in and

SMASH

it worked quite well

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:46 am »

I think your best bet is just a simple drop pit with a manual atom smasher. Automatic atom smashers are stupidly dangerous.

So...
  • Dig out a 5x5 (or however big) pit with a 1 tile wide entrance.
  • At the bottom of the pit, put an atom smasher linked to a lever (for manual operation).
  • Have a locked door at the bottom to allow accidentally stuck dwarves to exit.
  • Put a retracting bridge over the pit.
  • Put a pressure plate in the doorway and link it to the retracting bridge. Remember to set it to trigger on civilians.
  • Zone the top of the pit as a meeting zone.
  • Zone everywhere else as a 'safe' burrow.
  • Add all dwarves you want to keep to the 'safe' burrow.

Migrants will automatically path to the pit and get dropped into it. You can then review and smash them at your leisure via the lever.

To preserve the pets, put a number of pet-proof doors (tightly closed) in front of the pit. Pets move slowly it's unlikely you'll get many trapped in the pit this way. I'd suggest at least 2 pet-proof doors in a row.

Also note that if the dwarven civ for a world is dead, you'll still get the first 2 or so waves of migrants (but then nothing). The first 2 waves seem to be hardcoded or something.

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:18 am »

You can try my current tactic of choice - the "Desert Island" approach.

I've a pregenned world I can give you with the possibility of a 9x9 embark site with a 7 tile island at the center, completely surrounded by ocean... no land border: no migrants. Also, no caravans, and probably no seiges.

Only problem: it runs at 8-12 fps from embark on my netbook due to intense fluids...

I'm trying to gen a better archipelago, though.

That sounds very interesting.  I'd love to see it!

I can't imagine any 9x9 embark would do well on a netbook.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 12:48:48 pm »

Migration used to end after about 20 dwarves with it off, assuming you don't turn it on and run another fort. It seems like you have a set number of migrants "en route" when you start the game.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: [1] 2