Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body parts in a custom reaction........sort of + MAGICS  (Read 1405 times)

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Body parts in a custom reaction........sort of + MAGICS
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:52 pm »

I have to start by saying that I have not really had an extreemly good look at the RAWs or anything, but I would like to know about the state of entities having souls.

Are souls able to be removed from creatures in some sort of custom workshop?  Would it be possible to use the extracted soul as a material to make things out of?  -MAGIC-TYPE-THINGS- ?

Any ideas about how this might be doable would be great.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: Body parts in a custom reaction........sort of + MAGICS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:43:42 am »

Based on the bit of meddling I have done with creature raws I would say no.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:40:29 am »

Regretably nothing like that is doable yet. Souls a part of creatures, and those cant be used in reactions.

Even if they could, souls dont have a material.

You could of course make a reaction that kills the creature and gives you an item made of fake 'soul material'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »

I cast resurrection.

So, I have been thinking about this again, and I want to know what you think about this idea.

1-make a custom workshop that allows creatures to be sacrificed (i.e. butchered)
2-have souls that can be extracted at this workshop, initially from animals
3- Make a custom workshop that produces Orbs out of a variety of materials that uses a soul in their construction.
4- Have the orbs increase skills based on one of the souls attributes (selected at time of creation) when viewed as a part of another custom workshop, a pedestal or something. 

i think that might work.  anyway, i cant do it at the moment, i have too much real work i need to do (my students are starting to wonder where their results are).

if anyone knows of any work in the direction of souls and their usablility, please let me know!!

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »

4- Have the orbs increase skills based on one of the souls attributes (selected at time of creation) when viewed as a part of another custom workshop, a pedestal or something. 

You can't do that, as there is no such thing.

About all you can do is make Souls a material equivalent to Steel or something.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:48:22 pm »

As I understand it, a creature's "soul" in DF is simply a container for all their mental/emotional attributes and their personality. You could do the abovementioned fudging of it, I think...

1. I don't know if you can make a custom butcher shop, the slaughtering might be hardcoded. If you did, you could simply have "soul" be an item or material that is a product of the reaction.
2. If you can't do the butcher shop thing, you could have reactions that require animal bits or corpses and produce "soul."
3. Easily done.
4. You'd have to specify the orb's attributes in the previous step, but that could be done easily (see Higher Learning mod).

Basically, I'm basing this whole thing on the idea that you have a "soul" and "soul orbs" as crafts that aren't permitted in the entity file. I'm not entirely sure that would work, though; I'm not a very experienced modder.