Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military dwarves not wrestling?  (Read 2944 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military dwarves not wrestling?
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:20:25 pm »

So I have two out of my 7 dwarves being slackers, I figure "alright, start my military early" I want to train them in wrestling first for the dodge bonuses, but for some reason I can't figure out how to make em practice wrestling. They just do individual practice constantly.

Erm also, how do I set them to spar with each other?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:37:20 pm by Talfryn »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves not wrestling?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:53:37 pm »

read the wiki. it helps. a lot. A LOT. ALOTALOTALOTALOTALOTALOTALOT

I feel very strongly about this.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:15:24 am »

except the wiki is dead wrong and forgets to mention you need to set your barracks to train that specific squad by pressing t while using q on said barracks.  It has nothing to do with alerts or schedules ;)

MaXMC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:58:11 am »

Greep: it's a wiki, put the information there!

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:39:02 am »

I love the wiki, I read the wiki, I cannot find this in the Wiki. Can you please help me instead of just telling me to read the damn thing?

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:02:10 am »

Individual practice is what you want them to be doing. It will train their skills, and there's no chance of injury because they're not fighting (so, you can give them axes without worrying, which will make them much more effective in combat). It also avoids all of the bugs with one of them getting stck waiting for a combat drill, while another (who should be leading the combat drill) just wanders around. Not the most interesting thing to watch, yes, but it's effective.

For everything else - the squad menu, schedules, and so forth - the wiki is what you should be reading (seriously, even for this: if you want them to spar, set the squad as active, and make sure that their schedule for the current time is set to training. And yes, the wiki does explain this bit of it, though not the bit about individual combat drills).

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:01:37 am »

Hrm, I have the squad on active and they still just do individual training. I have like 5 of em now, so I guess that is good, though.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:56:11 am »

:) Somebody went beserk in my barracks. Yay for 6 other dwarfs there to... bruise him. He will die of insanity or starvation long before they kill him *grumbles about equipping stuff*

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:59:57 am »

Hrm, I have the squad on active and they still just do individual training. I have like 5 of em now, so I guess that is good, though.

This may be a problem with the minimum # associated with the scheduled activity. Sorry, i can't give you the proper keys to press because im at work atm with out DF ready to look at.

Go into your schedule and edit the training entries you have for your squad. I recomend keeping that minimum requirement set to about 50-75% of the squad.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:25 am »

So I have two out of my 7 dwarves being slackers, I figure "alright, start my military early" I want to train them in wrestling first for the dodge bonuses, but for some reason I can't figure out how to make em practice wrestling. They just do individual practice constantly.

Erm also, how do I set them to spar with each other?
Wrestling doesn't give any dodge bonuses, to do that want you want to do is get them to train their dodge skill, which means sparring(it will be awhile before your dwarfs will do that) or a dodging demonstration which never seem to get started(might be due to a lack of skill on the part of the dwarf trying organize the demonstration). For now just make some training axes at the carpenters workshop, and maybe take some wooden armor from the elfs until you get some iron armor and weapon made.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:07:54 am »

Okay I have ten training axes, can you walk me through equipping them?

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:51 am »

Dump them down the magma pipe. Otherwise when the time comes you'll be throwing your computer out the window trying to get them to re-equip actually useful weapons. Just use Individual Combat training with the best weapons you can until drill training gets some fixes.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »

Okay, but how do I actually get them to equip stuff? For future reference.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 01:28:40 pm »

Fourdots and TheMirth are right on the money, for the time being due to major military bugs you don't want them sparring and you do want them equipped wiht the best gear as their first loadout, even if this means tweaking game settings to start with steel immediately.

The easiest way to equip dwarves is to pump out enough gear that they can all wear the same stuff, open military screen/uniforms and create a new uniform that consists of the stuff you want them to carry.  I go with steel spear/battleaxe (guess what? most other weapons are bugged...) and steel helm/mail shirt/greaves/high boots/gauntlets/shield.  Be sure to specify material if you've got lesser quality equipment lying around, as has been said dorfs tend to make poor equipment choices and they won't ever upgrade to better stuff.  Then open military/equip screen, select (U)niforms mode and apply the uniform to the squads and/or individual dorfs in question.  They will then equip the gear automatically, unless your fort is big enough for an arsenal dwarf in which case he'll have to approve the changes first (which can take some time as arsenaldorf interprets the impending upgrade request as "go on a drunken bender and then sleep it off first").

A lot of people knock the logistics but IMO they're actually pretty intuitive for RTS people, once you've done it a time or two to get a handle on the procedure.  I look forward to when the system actually works as intended...

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »

Yeah, when everything is actually working it will rock. Also, editing the game to give you Iron from the start? I assume wrestler dwarves wouldn't cut it for the first siege or two?
Pages: [1] 2