Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The regulating of the (inner) temperature in creatures  (Read 483 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
The regulating of the (inner) temperature in creatures
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:22:41 pm »

Many of us have experienced the hilarious "melting Rain" bug. As i understand it (and please correct me if i am wrong) the rain certain in regions was so hot (above 40°C) that i caused the fat and the flesh off a dwarf to melt - thus it caused massive internal bleeding and death.

The rain gets fixed with a change in the weather system by making the rain cooler (again correct me on this subject if i am wrong) thought similar things can happen in really hot biomes.

To humans (of the real-life) that does normally not happen because we have systems to regulate our inner temperature - we can even go to a Sauna which is far hotter. Our body-temperature hovers around 36.5°C normaly (actually between the boundary's 35.8 and 37.2 acording to wikipedia) - we achieve this regulation thanks to a number of mechanisms like:

against hypothermia:

- controlled circulation which allows us to spread heat over the available surface faster (or to loose less energy to the outside)
- shivering

againts overheating:

- sweating - or other kinds of evaporation cooling
- thermic windows (for things with fur)

and a number more which i dont to recap. Alas i hope yo see what i want to say (this is the actual suggestion): Each and every biological creature should have the ability to regulate its inner temperature actively so it can survive in its (choosen) biome to a certain amount of time. This shouldnt come without drawbacks - a hypothermic creature should burn fat faster (needs more food) while a overheated creature should loose water in bigger amounts (needs more drinks).

Thanks to the circulation system the energy a warm spatter of water adds to a dwarf should be distributed over the entire body or at least faster over a bigger surface.

Actual season related temperature regulation would also be neat for the the dwarf and adventure mode in ways that animals shift theyr furs and intelligent creatures wear appropriate clothing. Including Temperature related effects and clothing would be also neat ala "The thick clothed dwarves are laughting at the naked shivering dwarf."

Please excuse if i have written nonsense.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:30:21 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The regulating of the (inner) temperature in creatures
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:20:36 pm »

I believe this is the purpose of the HOMEOTHERM tag.  But yeah, it's probably not as effective as it should be.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: The regulating of the (inner) temperature in creatures
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:09:07 am »

Biome/seasonal scarcity of water (and, by association, food) already makes extreme biomes difficult to survive in. The melting rain bug is an error in the code more than in the mechanics, if that's a distinction.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!