Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 3409 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Firefly
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 07:34:23 pm »

Good show. Kaylee Frye, the mechanic girl is fucking HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »

The fans managed to get it to come back on the air for a little while, but they didn't watch it, so it went down again. Then they didn't exactly make Serenity profitable (Fenrif uses sarcasm, but they actually were just under breaking even - they lost $31,000). It must have been the most disappointing venture for Whedon of all time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »

Thiiiiiiiiiiiis

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »

Thiiiiiiiiiiiis
Definately. She even made Stargate Atlantis better.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:18:11 pm by alway »

Pathos

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 08:20:22 pm »

Thiiiiiiiiiiiis

I don't know, man, that ginger
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is pretty damn hot, too.

To be honest, ALL of Joss Whedon's shows have lots of attractive women.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »

Thiiiiiiiiiiiis

I don't know, man, that ginger
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is pretty damn hot, too.

To be honest, ALL of Joss Whedon's shows have lots of attractive women people.

Fixed that for you.

Pathos

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 08:38:49 pm »

Did anyone else notice the major similarities between Angel and Edward Cullen, by the by? I think I know where that bitch got the idea from.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:10 pm »

Except that Angel has the body of a fully-grown man, a few extra layers of badass, no sparkles, and the habit of occasionally going evil if he stops being angsty.
None of which Edward has.
Because he's a fairy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 09:08:53 pm »

Watched Lost.  Thought it might be good.  Watched it get bad.  Hoped it might get better.  Watched it get worse.  Wondered if it would have a plot twist that I couldn't see coming a mile away.  Watched it come close, then "fix" itself at the last minute.

Watched Serenity.  Thought it was pretty dang good.

Watched Firefly.  Took a little while to get into it, but once I did I thought it was excellent.

Watched Serenity again, now that I'd watched all of Firefly.  Thought it was even better.

Watched Buffy. 

Wondered why I was watching Buffy, and how the same person made both shows.

Yeah, I guess I just don't "get" Buffy.  I haven't watched much, but I can only hope it's not as fantastically horrible as it first appears to be, and that it is in fact some sort of parody.  Otherwise, I'd be forced to lower my opinion of a number of different people.

As for Lost, damn...  I took some pretty basic film classes for less than one year and I don't even make the blunders that this yahoo does!  I could barely watch it early on for all the hideous cinematography that kept getting pulled out!  Lame angles, poor sequence of events, and the music...  Ugk.  I continued watching it to see if it got better once it hit its stride (and also to see what happens next, as I am a passionately curious person.  I read vast amounts of crappy webcomics and will become glued to the screen for the horrendous SciFi channel specials they show now and again, just so I can sate my curiosity), and thought that "well, the writing's at least okay".

...well, then the writing tanked.  Hard.  And the dialog just got laughable.  Eventually, there was only a single character that didn't annoy me (Sawyer), and then they decided to change him and fix that little discrepancy.

I've sat through far more Lost than I'd care to, by virtue of there being nothing else to watch (DVD set, no TV access), and due to the fact that my parents actually like the stuff.  I realized eventually that they could have had a kind of "soft science" explanation for all this tomfoolery and actually get away with a semi-plausible scenario...   Now I realize that the whole show will eventually boil down to one of three things:  A) God, B) Magic, C) Aliens.

And just for the sake of making my position clear, yes...  Kaylee is hot damn.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:09 pm »

Buffy is only enjoyable if you like narm, but it isn't taken to ridiculous levels like in the Evil Dead movies.

Pathos

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

Buffy is only enjoyable if you like narm, but it isn't taken to ridiculous levels like in the Evil Dead movies.

Buffy is pretty much a straight up comedy, though. It's a subversion of the "cheerleader gets killed" movies.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »

I see Firefly's cancellation with mixed feelings: on the one hand, an absurdly good show died after only one season; on the other, it never got the chance to go to shit... :/

Buffy is pretty much a straight up comedy, though. It's a subversion of the "cheerleader gets killed" movies.
I've never seen it, but this is basically what I've heard.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »

Oh, yeah, that's another thing...  While I feel that Firefly may perhaps not have left off in exactly the right setting to launch Serenity, I do feel that it was good to leave things well enough alone after the film.  It was a nice stopping point, and one of the gravest mistakes a popular show or series can make is to continue on after a stopping point.

Now, see, I liked Army of Darkness.  Quite a bit, actually (got clued in to a lot of the references they used in Blood).  Didn't care so much for Evil Dead 2.  Just didn't have the same "sting" for me.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »

Army of Darkness is definitely better than Evil Dead 2.
However, there's no denying that the level of narm in them rivals Darth Vader's control over the Force.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:09 pm »

Wow, just re-watched the first episode... And one thing that really hits me is how much they actually get done compared to many of the other similar sci-fi shows.

Heck, just look at Stargate Universe... They wasted 3 episodes just replacing their CO2 filters. Two to show the viewers that even advanced aliens have crappy battery technology and thus need automated refueling protocols. Then another 2 getting and cleaning their (now magically refilling) water tanks. And in between those 2 mundane tasks, an episode in which they don't step foot off the ship except through the plot device which allows for some hillbilly "beat up the guy for hitting on wife" action.  >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5