Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 3391 times)

Pathos

Firefly
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:48:40 pm »

So, I just started watching this (about halfway through) and I'm just wondering why THIS was cancelled. I mean, it can't be dredged back from the dead now (watched the movie first, kinda ruined any fear from the Reapers) but it's a pretty damn good show.

Compared to junk like Lost, anyway. So, any explanations for why it was cancelled? Also, discussion on it's nature.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:50:33 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:50:38 am by Stany »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Firefly
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »

Since when did you use armok's avatar?

Yeah, that show was amazing. Lost didn't even compare. It was original, expertly played. And such. It's a shame it was canceled.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:52:28 pm »

Pathos, you are an ass. Get rid of that avatar.

Also, Firefly was awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Pathos

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:10:30 pm »

It's not my fault Armok has been copying me. =(

It was cancelled because TV executives tend to have poor judgement, strangely, when it comes to TV shows. Also, really good sci-fi shows generate dedicated but relatively small audiences, which aren't as profitable as the reality show crap they can pump out for £5 an hour. I heard DVD sales were good though, I have the boxset, it's awesome. My favourite TV show ever?

I don't get why poo like Lost runs on. I mean, when it first came out I told people who raved about it that they'd never resolve any plot issues, and it'd just carry on and make more questions. They told me all the loose ends would be done by the end of the first season.

I am always proud of being correct.

But, yeah, I really don't get why this was cancelled. I mean, I feel this could've had the same effect on pop culture as Buffy did.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

It's not my fault Armok has been copying me. =(
Don't make me strangle you. I can do it though the internet you know!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:41 pm »

Well it was on FOX, which was mistake number one. Anything that comes out on fox I refuse to watch nowadays, because if I enjoy it it'll inevitably be cancelled before resolving anything.

Also, really good sci-fi shows generate dedicated but relatively small audiences, which aren't as profitable as the reality show crap they can pump out for £5 an hour. I heard DVD sales were good though, I have the boxset, it's awesome. My favourite TV show ever?

DVD sales were so good they greenlit the movie, which then did terribly (read: not a thousand percent profitable) which shot down any hopes of the series being picked up by another network.

It's a huge shame, aside from the show being solid gold awesome, if you watch the special features on the DVD's it looks like everyone involved really loved working on it, which tends to show in the finished product.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »

Best.
Show.
Ever.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 05:25:09 pm »

Also forgot to say before:

Apparently one of the main reasons it was cancelled was because fox insisted on airing the episodes out of order, and didn't advertise it well at all (I remember seeing it advertised and it looked like cheesy crap, didn't watch it untill I saw it on TV in the UK).

They also constantly moved it around to different timeslots, and didn't air it for weeks at a time beacuse of sporting events, so even if you really wanted to watch it, finding out when it was on was a pain in the ass.

Fox does this quite a lot it seems, mainly with shows they want to kill for whatever reason.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:40:37 pm »

Why do you guys keep complaining about Pathos and Armok? Armok is the one who changed his avatar to match Pathos' "Lady of Pain" icon. They're both rockin' a Planescape: Torment vibe now.

Not to mention that turd who animated the Lady of Pain icon so it spins around. What a jerk.

EDIT: On topic!

I also loved Firefly. There were some awesome little bits and pieces, and IT WAS A WESTERN which people haven't liked in forever. Definitely a Thing. And anytime people talk about a space sandbox game, I think of EVE minus all the suck plus Firefly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:42:28 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »

Fox does this quite a lot it seems, mainly with shows they want to kill for whatever reason.

Probably wanting to ruin Whedon's career, simply due to the fact he was one of the main reasons a rival company became a rival company. Either that or certain execs hating him for that reason.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:59 pm »

Joss Whedon is a fucking genius.
This is indisputable fact.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »

Firefly definately ranks up there with Star Trek and SG-1 as the best of sci-fi. If only someone could capture the awesome of Firefly and put it in a video game...

Edit: Athough now that I think about it, that's pretty much what mass effect tries to do, albiet without characters as awesome. And with an OP ship.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:32:59 pm by alway »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 06:42:29 pm »

Wasn't there going to be a firefly mmo?

Also I heard Joss got approached by someone or other who offered to make a new series of firefly and he turned it down.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:54 pm »

I think that he considers it ended with Serenity.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5