Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just Played my first DF2010 fortress! It met an abrupt end.  (Read 1861 times)

trevdogg100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories

Edit: Pictures aren't showing up here. I described the important pictures in parenthesis.
Read the version with pictures at Dwarf Fortress Stories.

I got the new version of Dwarf Fortress today… I was patient for the past two years, waiting for DF2010, and the last couple weeks, waiting for the Mac Version.

I download the package, shove in the Mayday graphics, take them out again due to crashes, and “Create a New World”.

I pick a spot with some mountain and forest tiles, and strike the earth!

Now I’ve played Dwarf Fortress on and off for a couple years, since just before its creator started work on DF2010 back in 2008. I know about building a fortress, tantrum spirals, and making a pyramid out of kitten fat soap. I didn’t want to waste time on all that crap, I wanted to see the NEW stuff, NOW!

My fingers twitch with glee at the 140 z-levels below the surface of the hill I’ve embarked on. Tunneling down, I find my first new feature.

(Discovered an expansive cavern)

Wow! Cool! This place is HUGE! Alright, Dwarves, start carting food down there, we’re taking over this cave! Screw digging our own fortress, this is way cooler than anything I could make!

Alright, we’ll dig a new staircase through that pillar, and the workshops will go over here… oh, what’s this?

(Task interrupted by Cave Troll)

Cool a Troll! Let’s kill it! A bit of fiddling with the new military menu, and all 7 dwarves are chanting, “KILL TROLL! KILL TROLL!”

The dwarves manage to bruise a lot of body parts, and bust open a horn… but the troll’s bones are far too sturdy for the novice wrestlers to crack.

After a long fight, the troll takes down a couple dwarves, but seven dwarves is a lot for one troll to handle, and soon the troll is fleeing the bearded menaces.

Man, that guy moves fast! My dwarves can hardly keep up with the huge strides by the grey-haired, black-skinned horned troll.

Suddenly, the troll gets CAUGHT in a SPIDER WEB!

It halts Mrs. Troll long enough for the Dwarves to uselessly latch on, trying to injure it enough to bring it to the ground.

Nothing works, though, the troll is simply to strong and too large.

The Dwarves remain in forced pursuit, running around the cavern for a half hour, chasing the behemoth that keeps stupidly getting caught in several more spider webs. I’m pretty sure the troll is way less injured then he was a couple minutes ago. This could be a long, tiresome battle with Mrs. Magical-healy troll.

Finally, the Troll makes a mistake, tumbling down a shallow drop of 3 z-levels, spraying its blue blood all over the wall.

My heroic Dwarves jump the fallen Troll, beating its face in with their bare fists. The Troll still refuses to die. After a couple minutes of constant punishment, I find myself yelling at the tiny ‘T’ on the screen, “GIVE INTO PAIN! GIVE INTO PAIN!”

FINALLY the beast does. I breathe a sigh of relief, and find that my whole body was tensed and battle-ready during the final part of the combat.

I relax, and let my dwarves out of their military squad. I smirk when I see that they’re still chanting “KILL TROLL! KILL TROLL!”

One dwarf, a fish dissector, lay unconscious, bleeding and broken, the rest of the dwarves only suffer minor injuries.

Excited about making this cavern more hospitable, now that the foul troll guarding it was slain, I start designating ramps and a quarry section.

Then suddenly…

(Task interrupted by Blind Cave Orge)

OH SHI-

(Civilization has crumbled to its end)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:48:44 pm by trevdogg100 »
Go read the best Dwarf Fortress Stories

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just Played my first DF2010 fortress! It met an abrupt end.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:29:23 pm »

I get many blind cave ogres.  No one-eyes for me yet.

trevdogg100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »

I get many blind cave ogres.  No one-eyes for me yet.
Errrr, yeah! That's what I meant. Mistake fixed.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:47:17 pm »

One dwarf with an axe can kill anything in the first cave... even a GCS if he gets lucky. Sometimes a pack of trogs will break his finger.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

trevdogg100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:48:05 pm »

One dwarf with an axe can kill anything in the first cave... even a GCS if he gets lucky. Sometimes a pack of trogs will break his finger.
I guess wrestlers aren't what they used to be.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:55 pm »

Just give all your little militia dorfs a weapon of individual choice.  Your miners should keep their picks and someone should bring an axe.  Two picks and and axe is enough to stomp anything in the first two caverns, at least.  Some traps are always a good idea too, even stonefalls. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:23:51 am »

Yes in DF2010 wrestlers are weaklings, they're nothing like the hardened wrestling warriors from previous versions unfortunately.
The only worthy military now is weapon users.

And unfortunately the military system is not really working constantly, as sometime the dwarves will ignore the weapons you have made specifically for them, stocked even near their barracks, even despite you allocated those individually in the military panels ... and will run wrestling against various monsters.

And wrestling being extremely weak in DF2010, you will have many casualties and never ending fighting with poor squad of dwarves punching hundred of time a nearly unconscious ogre without being able to kill him before a day or two.
While sometime you are lucky and they actually pick their weapon and cut head and maim those same monsters in few seconds.

Sometime, they grab weapon and can kill things, but most of the time they seem to ignore even the most shiny weapon you have in stock.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:40 am »

For the purposes of ignoring weapons and armor, make sure your arsenal dwarf has a high skill in organizer and record keeper.  It may be best to mix arsenal dwarf and manager together. 

With high record keeper  skills he knows what weapons and armor you have.  With low organization it will take forever to reliably assign specific items.

From what I have noticed--record keeper updates the listing of assignable weapons.  Organization actually assigns them.  If the fellow has other tasks etc to do he may not rise very fast in the required skills because he's busy cutting gems or whatever.

igless

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:39:52 pm »

I recommend axes and spears as blunt weapons are also somewhat bugged.  And be sure to equip them with good armor, it counts for a lot.  May also want to slow down on the cavern crawling as there can be some nasty stuff there--get a decent upper fortress going first.  On a map I was using last night to test a new appointed-noble hierarchy I ran into a demonic fortress only 25 z-levels down and it was connected to what I guess was the first or second cavern layer--cue undead tigermen in my base killing my doodz.

Oh, and due to the equipment bugs I recommend not producing anything but bronze/steel unless you're okay with your first squad never getting better gear.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 01:41:06 pm »

Swords are very effective as well.

Slicing weapons like swords and axes are currently very powerful, whereas blunt weapons easily cripple opponents but seem incapable of killing them.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »

Yes in DF2010 wrestlers are weaklings, they're nothing like the hardened wrestling warriors from previous versions unfortunately.
The only worthy military now is weapon users.

And unfortunately the military system is not really working constantly, as sometime the dwarves will ignore the weapons you have made specifically for them, stocked even near their barracks, even despite you allocated those individually in the military panels ... and will run wrestling against various monsters.

And wrestling being extremely weak in DF2010, you will have many casualties and never ending fighting with poor squad of dwarves punching hundred of time a nearly unconscious ogre without being able to kill him before a day or two.
While sometime you are lucky and they actually pick their weapon and cut head and maim those same monsters in few seconds.

Sometime, they grab weapon and can kill things, but most of the time they seem to ignore even the most shiny weapon you have in stock.

Yea, I've lost a few fortresses because the dwarves will do something, like pick up their weapons but forget to grab armor.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »

I've had mixed results with swords, sometimes they work and sometimes not.  They are definitely better than blunt/wrestling though.

Re: equipping issues, I've not really had any problems with that but I always set up my military and get them indiv training long before doing any actual combat.  But from my early-game newbie mistakes it looks like the problem may be arsenal dwarf not always doing his job.