Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More curious than usual... [spoilers]  (Read 1199 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
More curious than usual... [spoilers]
« on: May 20, 2010, 03:21:51 am »

So I stumble upon a demonic fortress. I haven't done so before despite checking out a few example of them on the DFMA, so I figure I'll explore around it a bit. I find no path leading up to the roof entrance. Odd. So I dig up into the cavern ceiling a ways, dig over to above the fortress, and then down until I hit slade. I then start digging up/down stairs all over to reveal the entrance hole.

Eventually I get something. It's not exactly the grand fortress I'd expected to see.

It's two tiles big. One tile is the upright masterwork adamantine sword. The other tile is the door, covered by 14 pages of zombie/skeletal creatures that presumably were supposed to be scattered around the fortress. They're not the most terrifying undead ever, either: Mules, cows, bulls, gazelles, walrus, and plump helmet men. 264 undead critters, all in one inaccessible tile. There's no way to get down as far as I can tell; the surrounding walls are all slade too.

So I'm going to kill 264 birds with one stone and drop a block of rock on them. Then I can dig into it, grab the sword, and dig down into the underfortress tunnels (since I can tell it extends much farther downwards).

Still, pretty weird. Is this a known bug?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More curious than usual... [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:45:56 am »

I think its just a fluke of the rng. basically, you probably have about a 1 in 1000000000000000.... chance of something similar happening. also, why on earth would you intentionally breach HFS???

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:58:25 am »

I think its just a fluke of the rng. basically, you probably have about a 1 in 1000000000000000.... chance of something similar happening. also, why on earth wouldn't you intentionally breach HFS???

Fix'd.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:38 am »

I think its just a fluke of the rng. basically, you probably have about a 1 in 1000000000000000.... chance of something similar happening. also, why on earth would you intentionally breach HFS???

He needs an excuse to use that masterwork adamantium sword.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »

Really, because I can. But also because it's a throwaway fort.

Also, alas. Dropping a bunch of stone on them didn't work because there was a natural up/down stair over the pit that 'caught' the block, and my miner wouldn't get close enough to channel it. And due to opening up Hell at a different point on the map, I only had one dwarf left (the adamantine was open to the first cavern, the miner was trapped in the second without the demons) but no anvil despite magma and ore, and no axe. So I was unable to make a pump stack and flood magma onto those 264 baddies. Shame, though. I guess I'll have to regen the world and try again with a full complement. I'm having fun :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »

You'll probably get a more hospitable fortress. The kind where there are about a hundred and fifty zombies, an adamantine shortsword, and a lot of space.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!