Stibnite
- 1 (0.2%)
Sylvite
- 0 (0%)
Talc
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 469

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Favorite Type of Stone?  (Read 18470 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Type of Stone?
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2017, 07:34:37 am »

I spent a couple of years in the south of England and virtually every old wall is made of chert.  I grew quite fond if it.  I don't know why, but sometimes I think it looks like a wall made of skulls (especially the old roman walls).  So for me, it's chert!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2017, 08:26:35 am »

Hm.

Rutile is neat (though overlapping with black bronze), petrified wood is nice  (realgar and cinnabar not bad either, though realgar has a different use of partially filling a cart with magma) - both kinda need being brought on embark....

But if there's something I go "fuck yeah, dolomite" on...Oh, there it is. Admittedly, the especially high melting point isn't something I've used yet, so it's not exactly set in stone.

(I find Malachite veins in Marble and Limestone also quite pretty, though, so kinda torn between these 3 flux stones.)

Orthoclase is nice as well in being common and nice bright yellow colour.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2017, 08:59:20 am »

Cobaltite, hands down. I love the deep dark blue colour of it, and it's not as rare as the purple rocks that would otherwise be my favourites, when it exists on a map. My current fort has all cobaltite tables and thrones in the dining hall and it looks so nice...

Microcline is a close second, for very similar reasons. I just love cobaltite's colour more.

Side note, I really wish the purple rocks existed in more than a few chunks spaced out across the layer...I really want to make a giant purple tower one day but there's never enough to make the sheer amount of blocks it'd need.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:49 am »

Microcline, cobaltite, rutile, and pitchblende are pretty cool.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2017, 09:38:56 am »

Side note, I really wish the purple rocks existed in more than a few chunks spaced out across the layer...I really want to make a giant purple tower one day but there's never enough to make the sheer amount of blocks it'd need.

Black bronze is also purple and I bet you can find a site that has all of the ingredients in copious amounts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2017, 12:22:03 pm »

I know it doesn't look that good or anything, but making a fort from obsidian is one of my favourite feelings. A whole fort made from the frozen blood of a volcano, looking like moody stained glass, just feels so dwarfy.

Aside from that, it's cinnabar or marble.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2017, 01:43:04 pm »

Olivine! I have a few bits of olivine/peridot jewellery, and in game I love the deep green. I wish it were more common

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2017, 03:30:42 pm »

Rock salt!!! Tastes as good as it sounds, good for fizzling snails too...

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2017, 03:23:45 pm »

You could also construct a tower out of Rose Gold. I've seen sites with 200k gold or more.. finding one with enough copper to turn it into that much alloy should be possible.  ;)

I'm really a fan of this kind of megaproject, hope to see that purple tower one day!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2017, 06:59:07 pm »

Black bronze is also purple and I bet you can find a site that has all of the ingredients in copious amounts.
I think I made black bronze once and found out it's not purple on the tileset I use. I may have to check that. What is black bronze...copper, silver and gold. Hmmmm.

You could also construct a tower out of Rose Gold. I've seen sites with 200k gold or more.. finding one with enough copper to turn it into that much alloy should be possible.  ;)

I'm really a fan of this kind of megaproject, hope to see that purple tower one day!
I've been tempted by rose gold before! I may have to make one of those sometime too. I tend to like swamp/marsh embarks and they almost always have gold. The copper is a 50-50 but not hard to get large amounts of that from melting things. Maybe I'll make a purple tower with rose gold floors.....
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2017, 07:23:12 pm »

I hate microcline, when you have a lovely one-color room and suddenly one wall has to be cyan.
Marble for usefulness and A E S T H E T I C
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:12 pm »

Going with Rutile. Nice royal color and real life ore of titanium.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2017, 10:56:24 pm »

Cobaltite because it's common and heavy and pretty and HIGHLY RADIOACTIVE!!! I use it to floor my thirty story death pit filled with spinning blades. Also in my catapults. And my rock fall traps. And my mine cart guns. Stationary furniture. Levers. Goblets. Childrens toys.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2017, 02:09:33 am »

Bauxite. With it I can build everything in red, even the few parts of the fort that don't inevitably end up covered in blood and gore.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2017, 09:22:13 pm »

Marble, because I like the way it looks IRL.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9