Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumping magma higher, U shaped magmaducts...  (Read 1373 times)

Brzhk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumping magma higher, U shaped magmaducts...
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:34:32 am »

Hello everyone,

I've started a quite-but-not-so-mega project involving (of course) magma.
I'm trying to do an entrance bridge over a pool of magma, from which are raised towers that would let water, or magma could flow from the top to fill up the pool. (so, basically, artificial magma/water falls.)

First of all, is the magma from the caves unlimited? (the pool is adjacent to one side of the map, if this is of any importance.)

Second, how do work pump towers? i read here and there that you couldn't just build vertical 'pipes' and pump from the top.
Do i just have to stack up pumps heading alternatively to the left and to the right? and how do i power them ?( i guess pump operating a 45 level high pump tower isn't so good for productivity.)

then, last but not least:
If i succeed into filling a high enough magma tank, would pressurizing the magma through one pump be enough to build U shaped magmaducts that would actually work ?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping magma higher, U shaped magmaducts...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:14:10 am »

I didn't think magma would flow through U-shaped magmaducts, but you can power them with waterwheels or windmills.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:49:11 am »

Yes, you stack pumps in alternating directions, and you use channels in the floor to transfer power directly between the pumps.
See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Screw_pump#Pump_Stack

Yes, you can put magma through a U-bend by pumping. Specifically, magma will rise up to the level of the pump. Consult the hydrodynamics thread in my signature.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Brzhk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »

Thank you very much for your answer, and your thread as well, which is very interesting and answered all my questions :)

unfortunately, i just discovered caves. At lvl -5, where basically my fortress 'starts'. shit. my plans of uber fortress are over... A week of planning ... AAAAH.
and i still think abt doing it again in another place, ffs. am i masochist ?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »

Thank you very much for your answer, and your thread as well, which is very interesting and answered all my questions :)

unfortunately, i just discovered caves. At lvl -5, where basically my fortress 'starts'. shit. my plans of uber fortress are over... A week of planning ... AAAAH.
and i still think abt doing it again in another place, ffs. am i masochist ?

There is a better solution. Adopt your design to the caves. Wall and bar them up for safety, and start digging from them. Caves provide a very nice open layout for your fortress, trees and shrubs included.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.