Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered  (Read 12993 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:36:42 pm »

Whether it was a story, movie, game, episode of a show or whatever...

What piece of fiction has scared you more than any other?
I'm not asking what you think is objectively the scariest...different things scare different people, and things like atmosphere and mindset can make a big difference in how you react to something. What hit YOU the hardest?

For me, it was a certain short horror manga...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, I've been a horror fan since I could read. I've built up a lot of immunity to horror over the years, to the point where I have trouble finding things that are suitably scary when I'm in the mood for it.
But with this, I guess everything just aligned in such a way that when I opened to the second-last page...It ruined me.

I ended up just staring at it and feeling my stomach sink and my head go fuzzy...When I finished it I immediately went somewhere on campus with a lot of random people to try to dispel the feeling, but everything still felt numb and unreal. I didn't sleep that night, or the next night. It was touch-and-go for the next few days, where I mostly caught up on sleep during the daytime. Even after that, it was literally weeks before even accidentally thinking about it would be enough to cost me most of the night's sleep. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I know for a fact it would (probably) never hit anyone else the same way it hit me. As a horror fan, I respect it immensely for getting that reaction out of me, but it's not something I'd like to repeat ever in my life. :P

Second place for me would go to an X-files episode. I think the actual story was pretty goofy, but it took place in a cosmetic surgery hospital and involved (hypnotised?) doctors killing their patients during surgery. One poured a corrosive substance on the patient's face, and another used a surgical laser to burn a tiny, neat hole all the way through their head.
For some reason that one got a strong reaction out of me too. :P

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:42:44 pm »

Slender Man.

Damn you, you made me remember Slender Man.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »

Slender Man and Rose Red.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »

Slender Man.

A few days ago I wouldn't have known what that was. But I just watched Marble Hornets the day before yesterday. :D

Pretty cool. The audio distortion creeped me out more than anything else.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »

Clock Tower: The First Fear
Scariest SNES game I ever known.  Please if it is dark and lonely where you are right now DO NOT do research about this game.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:15:29 pm »

Scariest SNES game I ever known.  Please if it is dark and lonely where you are right now DO NOT do research about this game.

Not too scary bro.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »

I'll just leave this here

http://www.creepypasta.com/

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »

"The Picture in the House" by HP Lovecraft made me not read the rest of his short stories because it was too creepy. I feel uneasy just thinking about it.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »

Not too scary bro.

Record a playthrough on youtube.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:58 pm »

There was this one section of Metroid Prime, just after getting the Thermal Visor, where the lights go out and you're basically attacked by space pirate ninjas, followed shortly by metroids.. Then you have to go back through the entire pirate research lab (still no lights) and kill a Forgotten Beast made out of some generic rock and phlebotinum. That part still creeps me the hell out. And for those of you who haven't played a 3D Metroid game, metroids have the most OHSHIT mind-raping screech I've ever heard, on par with most Kirby final bosses.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pathos

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »

I... I can't touch this book. I usually like rereading books, but now it just sits there. I can't look at it. IT SCARED ME THAT MUCH. I mean, it might just be latent schizophrenia or something, but I swear this book has more weight than all the others. I left it sitting on a chair downstairs, and I could feel it there whenever I walked past it.

Honestly, House of Leaves is the creepiest book I've ever, EVER read. It's just so surreal, and now I won't be able to sleep after thinking about it. Damn you to hell, thread!

I am going to have to reread it and conquer my fear, one day.

Oh, and you have to read it when you're alone. It doesn't work, otherwise.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:10:05 pm »

I... I can't touch this book. I usually like rereading books, but now it just sits there. I can't look at it. IT SCARED ME THAT MUCH. I mean, it might just be latent schizophrenia or something, but I swear this book has more weight than all the others. I left it sitting on a chair downstairs, and I could feel it there whenever I walked past it.

Honestly, House of Leaves is the creepiest book I've ever, EVER read. It's just so surreal, and now I won't be able to sleep after thinking about it. Damn you to hell, thread!

I am going to have to reread it and conquer my fear, one day.

Oh, and you have to read it when you're alone. It doesn't work, otherwise.

Don't tell me you're afraid of a Minotaur in a house?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:18 am »

For me, it was The Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 12:20:29 am »

There was this one section of Metroid Prime, just after getting the Thermal Visor, where the lights go out and you're basically attacked by space pirate ninjas, followed shortly by metroids.. Then you have to go back through the entire pirate research lab (still no lights) and kill a Forgotten Beast made out of some generic rock and phlebotinum. That part still creeps me the hell out. And for those of you who haven't played a 3D Metroid game, metroids have the most OHSHIT mind-raping screech I've ever heard, on par with most Kirby final bosses.
I second this.  Even way later in the game, when I had the fancy weapons and all sorts of upgrades, I was too afraid to go back to check out the place.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8