Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Cops burn and kill a 7-year-old girl while being filmed by a reality show  (Read 6970 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

Police are not soldiers deep in enemy territory

Yes they are.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But of course universal health care is what will make America a fascist country.
Sarcasm or trolling... damn, they look too similar.  I give up.

Sarcasm, obviously ( at least I think it is ).

Oh, I came across this link as well reading some comments on one of these stories:
http://www.cato.org/raidmap/
It's about botched SWAT and police raids, thought it might be relevant enough to post here
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile

Yes they are.
Being a police officer is a fairly dangerous job, but only because of all the driving.  Their siege mentality comes more from their paramilitary-style training than it does from dangerous criminals.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:37:52 pm by Grakelin »
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Yes they are.
Uhhh... having volunteered with the local police force(not as a cop) but as support, I can tell you that's wrong.

Police creed is about protecting the public, not making the public their enemies. Even in shitholes like detroit.

The problem is you get a minority of assholes that make the rest look bad by not following standard procedure and lording over their power, and trust me, if a majority of police were assholes you'd be hearing many more stories like this. It's like labeling all soldiers babykillers. Both have shitty jobs that I wouldn't want to do (I've also worked as security before) and I'm surprised more don't crack from the stress of having to deal with assholes pulling weapons on them.

I know when I had weapons, guns and knives, pulled on me it was a highly stressful, traumatic experience. I quit that job.

EDIT: but if I had a family like many officer and I didn't have the luxury of quitting, I can see how years of stress and dealing with criminals could lead to a "shoot first" mentality. I'm not saying it's right, but perhaps we as a society should focus on continued police retraining and psychological evaluations.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:45:25 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The public isn't your enemy, you're right. The colloquialism here is in regards to the people shooting at you.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

The problem, in this case, is that there wasn't anyone shooting - besides the police.

I'll withhold judgment because that's for a jury but it seems as though we went from gun "accidentally" discharging to him blindly firing into the house and and running the gamut of "I did this, oh wait that isn't right so I did this instead", which doesn't sound good at all.

And hindsight being 20/20, the police should have surrounded the house and made sure the suspect was actually there before rushing in with tragic results. Hopefully they learn from it instead of what seems to be an attempted coverup. It makes all cops look bad.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, that all makes sense, and I'm not justifying the actions of the ones who burned the kid. This is the full quote I was responding to:

I agree with the need to find a balance.  I simply think there is far too much emphasis on officer safety and not enough on public safety.  Police are not soldiers deep in enemy territory, yet that is exactly how they act.

Closely and secretly observing a home and snatching the suspect up when he leaves to go buy some smokes or whatever is usually a far safer and more effective method than a no-knock raid, but since it doesn't allow SWAT teams to play GI-Joe and and use their flashy new toys it is often ignored.  As far as community co-operation is concerned, the first step is to tear down the blue wall of silence--citizens will not and should not trust the police so long as they prioritize their buddies over the law.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the main problem is that the selection process for cops is not strict enough.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

we don't know the circumstances. Maybe the 7 year old girl was a dangerous insurgent.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

we don't know the circumstances. Maybe the 7 year old girl was a dangerous insurgent.
Of course, she was menacing the cops with a loaded mini-rocket launcher!  It all makes sense now!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile

Holy crap.

She would be at the exact right hight to cripple people unnoticed!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the main problem is that the selection process for cops is not strict enough.

It's probably also because they can often get away with stuff like this. I think the main problem is that the police isn't willing to own up to mistakes like these. Instead they try to cover it up or just lie about what happened. And unless they actually admit that things like this are wrong and punish the people involved, it's probably not going to go away either.

Sort of like the Catholic Church, I guess.

( I could be completely wrong about this, of course )
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Dramatized footage of the event:
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-28-copdeaths_N.htm

Forty-one officers were shot and killed in 2008, down 40% from 68 in 2007. That's the lowest number since 1956, when 35 officers died from gunfire. The U.S. population today is 305 million, compared with 169 million in 1956.

The total number of officers who died in the line of duty — 140 — dropped 23% from 181 in 2007, one of the highest totals in two decades. The overall figure includes police killed in traffic fatalities and other accidents plus shooting deaths.
As a police officer, you would be 2 to 3 times more likely to be killed in an auto-accident than you would be by gunfire.  This is why being a truck driver is a more dangerous job than being a police officer, as the earlier link established.

It is difficult to find statistics on how many people are killed by police in a year (the only bit of data I could find was unsourced, said 200) and impossible to do so w/r/t innocent people.  But as long as police deaths remain in the low double-digits, I'm not really seeing a reason to hold the safety of well-paid, often armored public servants over innocent members of the public.

Also: the only one of your links that involved a pre-planned raid was the Canadian grow-op; the others were a traffic stop, a 911 call, and a bunch of cops sitting in a coffee shop.  The grow-op incident is unfortunate, but ending the drug war will end almost all drug-related crime, which is why it is step one for any sort of intelligent law enforcement reform.  As for the rest... determined criminals will always be able to get the drop on cops when they're going about their routine business.  It doesn't follow that cops should therefore treat every home as if it were some bunker fortified by hardened soldiers.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9