Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Cops burn and kill a 7-year-old girl while being filmed by a reality show  (Read 6941 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

... I've seen the argument that knocking on the door would promt the criminal to flee out the back door several times now, including at least once in this threath. This left me wondering how it can be that the police is apparently incapable of guarding both the front and back door?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Well... let's say they throw in a flashbang grenade and the criminal isn't in that room.  Doesn't that give him much more of an opportunity to run than breaking down the door would've?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

Well at least they didn't kill off the reality show crew and the neighbors.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

I think manslaughter, if not homicide, charges are in order.
I also think A&E should be sued for its part. If it influenced how the event unfolded, it should be held liable. Hopefully this will discourage future reality shows from filming things that are so risky. Personally I feel the real life practice of the law should never be entertainment.
However I don't feel there should be any special punishment should be made. This should all be taken care of through the courts, business as usual. After all, the original mistake was caused by showing off for the cameras. Additional misapplications of justice will result from any further grandstanding.

This is tragic, but we are a nation of laws and not men and law has no emotion. That is why I won't join in denigrating anyone as 'pigs'.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

I think it's because of a breach of trust. It's not like some random criminal came in and blew away this little girl. It was the police, the people we citizens give special powers to so that they can protect us.

It would be like the difference between a random guy coming up and cutting your face off with a scalpel, or your doctor doing it.

At the very least, the officers should be banned from any law enforcement or legal profession ever again, not even a bail bondsman or repo man. And the camera crew and the show's producers should be presented with certificates stained with red ink that congratulate them on their part of the murder of this little girl.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile

I think manslaughter, if not homicide, charges are in order.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone gets a manslaughter charge; homicide will almost certainly not happen (and in fairness, probably shouldn't--there's no indication of intent to kill, merely callous, idiotic recklessness).  The only time I've heard of a botched raid resulting in manslaughter charges for the pigs in question is the Kathryn Johnston shooting, where they were also found to have planted evidence.

Also, I strongly suspect A&E gave the video to the family, for which they should be commended--if they'd just handed it over to police it could easily have been 'lost' or 'damaged' (wouldn't be the first time: "A camera that recorded the incident between an argumentative Garbarino and Officer Willis as he attempted to adminIster a breathalyzer test was turned off at one point. When it was turned back on, Garbarino was lying on the floor in a pool of blood.").  I agree that the COPS-like combination of entertainment and law enforcement is a sick thing, but at least this show focused specifically on real crime and (may have) acted intelligently and decently in this case.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

The police can cover up whatever the hell they want. What's going to stop them?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They didn't cover up this.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Ah, cowofdoom proudly sticks to his grovelling attitude, I see
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

I was commenting on this:
Also, I strongly suspect A&E gave the video to the family, for which they should be commended--if they'd just handed it over to police it could easily have been 'lost' or 'damaged'

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile

Exactly.  Video cameras are the best tool an individual can use against police misconduct.

If you can organize groups, citizen review boards are even better.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was commenting on this:
Also, I strongly suspect A&E gave the video to the family, for which they should be commended--if they'd just handed it over to police it could easily have been 'lost' or 'damaged'

And? You said that they can cover up whatever the hell they want, which is a pretty sweeping statement. You're still wrong, because they couldn't cover this up.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

And? You said that they can cover up whatever the hell they want, which is a pretty sweeping statement, considering they couldn't cover this up. You're still wrong.
Lets see how long you care that police killed a 7 year old girl.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's not the police covering it up, that's the public moving on. Two different things.

You know, nobody's going to fault you if you admit that you were wrong.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, nobody's going to fault you if you admit that you were wrong.
I will.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9