Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interactive Fiction  (Read 2946 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interactive Fiction
« on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:18 pm »

I've been interested in Interactive Fiction lately, it's pretty cool stuff. My favorite is "Bad Machine"
To play most IF, you need an interperter for the language the game was written, but a quick Google search will find you most interpreters. So...what good IF do you know of?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Interactive Fiction
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:06:01 pm »

Does the Ace Attorney series count?

If so you can find a whole thread about it here.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:05:51 am »

Hi!

ToonyMan: Aren't those digital novels? If so, then it is something completely different.

Quinnr: I hope you stroll around the interactive fiction archive:

http://www.ifarchive.org/

Because that is where you can get a lot of good things created by the community. My special recommendation would be Theatre which is written in Inform, so you will find it in the games->zcode section of the internet archive.

Especially if you like Lovecraft, I think you will be pleased with this title.

Deathworks

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:01 am »

Yes, Toonyman is wrong. :D
(I guess it could be called interactive fiction, as all video games probably fall under the definition, but that's not what we're talking about.)

Deathworks, I look there already. I was also thinking about writing my own IF some time, it might be fun! :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:51:16 pm »

HI!

Ah, okay. Your initial post didn't make it clear. And it is a must-know site.

As I said, Theatre is really worth playing as it is well-designed.

May I ask which engine you would go for if you wanted to write something? (My personal recommendation would be Inform 6.31; I don't trust Inform 7, having had bad experiences with it)

If you start writing something, regardless of which language/engine you use, definitely get the big Designer Manual for Inform 6: Besides an introduction into programming Inform 6, it contains a lot of information on interactive fiction, giving advice on designing them and what pit falls to avoid. No matter what you do in interactive fiction writing, I consider it an absolute must-read.

You can get it for free from the Inform homepage (I am not sure whether it is on the ifarchive, but it should be).

Deathworks

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »

Cool, thanks.

I was thinking about either Inform7, or TADS 3.
Might want to look into Inform6 though, thanks for the help. I'll definitely look at that book.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:41:15 pm »

Hi!

http://www.inform-fiction.org/inform6.html

You have to go to the Welcome section to get to the goodies (^_^;;

Inform 7 is actually just a preparser that turns pseudo-human language into Inform 6 code. While its GUI is a nice addition and it helps programming a few things, all in all, I find the lack of control somewhat disturbing. You have to trust the machine with its translation and there are distinct possibilities for ambiguities.

Inform 6 and TADS 3 are more like normal programming languages, especially C++. As such, they seem a bit sterile at first sight (just like DF default graphics :) :) ), but once you get used to them, you will find them to be quite logical and clean-cut.

While Inform seems to be very popular in general, TADS has been especially succesful with the adult  interactive fiction community.

Pressed for a judgement, I think Inform 6 tends to use more switches while TADS 3 makes heavy use of classes and inheritance. That makes the way of thinking a little bit differently for them (although not as big as the difference to Inform 7), and you are probably best of having a look at their examples/tutorials in the manuals and see which way of thinking feels the most logical to you. I think the choice there is one based mostly on your personality.

Deathworks

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:54:56 pm »

The Inform7 "literate programming" idea is cool, but I think I'd perfer inform6 or TADs. I'll have to take some time to look at the languages :D

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:24:31 am »

You are in a series of twisty tunnels, all alike. You are likely to be beaten by a shrew.

You have:
Engraved Lighter
No Hope

Your score is 0/23.

Like that?

I used to be really into those. Zork was pretty good, but very complex and confusing. Like how modern FPS games are difficult for a complete newbie to just pick up and play, because each one has built on the previous and caters more to the hardcore crowd.

I liked Unkuulian Unventure, I think that's how you spell it. Kind of a Zork parody.

Actually I spent more time on MUDs online. There's this Shadowrun MUD that is the closest thing to actual Shadowrun than anything else I've played. Dang I wish there was a good Shadowrun MMO. I would actually pay for that.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:34:36 pm »

Hi!

Yes, basically that kind of game. Although I like the following style better:

Quote from: Theatre
Another day, another dollar! Life is good at the moment, the property market is
booming. Still, it does have its down side; when showing those Mulluer
Corporation executives around that old theatre dump, err, opportunity you must
have left your pager down in the basement. Better hurry, you have to meet the
others at the opera in an hour, and be careful. It wouldn't do to show up with
your clothes all dirty.

Theatre Lobby
This room is a tribute to the now-faded glory of the theatre. The still-smiling
faces of forgotten productions stare out from faded posters at you. An old grand
staircase leads up, while the exit lies to the south. Small private doors lead
northeast and northwest.

What do you want to do now?
>

The above is the beginning of Theatre which I have recommended before.

Deathworks

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »

You are in a series of twisty tunnels, all alike. You are likely to be beaten by a shrew.

You have:
Engraved Lighter
No Hope

Your score is 0/23.

Like that?

I used to be really into those. Zork was pretty good, but very complex and confusing. Like how modern FPS games are difficult for a complete newbie to just pick up and play, because each one has built on the previous and caters more to the hardcore crowd.

I liked Unkuulian Unventure, I think that's how you spell it. Kind of a Zork parody.

Actually I spent more time on MUDs online. There's this Shadowrun MUD that is the closest thing to actual Shadowrun than anything else I've played. Dang I wish there was a good Shadowrun MMO. I would actually pay for that.
Yeah, Zork is IF. Also, MUDs are awesome.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »

You have:
Engraved Lighter
No Hope

Your score is 0/23.

Like that?

Oh? Which one did you play on?

I used to play on Denver, Seattle, and SanFran. Awesomly with all the same character. Not at once, TP events sorta forced my character to move or die.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:48:11 pm »

I played on Awake2054 or whatever the number was. I usually did a Physad. I played a long time ago before they had the drones and stuff, and possibly around the time the Matrix was implemented fully. I'm not sure. It was when Pook's was still near to and north of the newbie area.

A Mod got mad at me because I was blowing away gangsters in some Barrens. He said if I wasn't on a run to do it, it was bad roleplaying, and made me trash all the guns I got from them. Like, I get it, you don't want people to just kill random folks. But these guys would have shot me if I had given them the chance ... meh.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

I played on Awake2054 or whatever the number was. I usually did a Physad. I played a long time ago before they had the drones and stuff, and possibly around the time the Matrix was implemented fully. I'm not sure. It was when Pook's was still near to and north of the newbie area.

A Mod got mad at me because I was blowing away gangsters in some Barrens. He said if I wasn't on a run to do it, it was bad roleplaying, and made me trash all the guns I got from them. Like, I get it, you don't want people to just kill random folks. But these guys would have shot me if I had given them the chance ... meh.

I never played on Awake2054.

I miss playing Shadowrun. My gamer group doesn't like the system, and the system itself is just horrible to do a play by post.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 11:21:12 am »

Hi!

Actually, I am wondering how Toady One would feel if someone did an interactive fiction based on Dwarf Fortress. You know, maybe along the lines of an adventurer exploring an abandoned fortress and discovering all those cliches and bugs we have learned to love :) :)

I could imagine that it could lead to a nice parody/fun game.

Deathworks